C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 Steering Column Rebuild Problem

Old 12-18-2014, 08:26 PM
70chev
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 Steering Column Rebuild Problem

Hi guys,

Hoping to get some help on a question regarding reassembly of the upper part of my steering column in my 84.

Pulled the column apart in the car to secure the 4 bolts at the tilt mechanism. On reassembly, I got to the point where the horn contact plate is to be fitted, followed by the steering lock plate. Fitted the horn contact plate and noticed it didn't slide all of the way down onto the column. Checked and realised that the upper bearing race wasn't pushed down all of the way into the upper bearing. I'm pointing to that part in the photo with a screwdriver in case I've got the terminology incorrect.

Name:  P1030292.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  50.0 KB

Anyway, tried to push the race down into the bearing but it wouldn't go down any further. I took it apart to try to see why, and I can't find any keyway or bulge at that point in the column, but the race simply wont got down. If I push the shaft down, the race moves down with it into the bearing, but this doesn't allow enough of the shaft to fit the horn contact place and steering lock plate. I hope this makes sense.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and knows of a cure. I could just fit the lock plate without the horn contact and try to use the lock plate compressor to see if that will push the race into place, but I don't want to force anything in case I break it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Darren
Old 12-19-2014, 10:37 AM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-diagram.html
Old 12-19-2014, 10:39 PM
70chev
Advanced

Originally Posted by corvettenorway
Thanks Norway. I've got an FSM with the exploded diagrams in it, but they don't help me unfortunately. Just can't see why the race won't push any further down the shaft. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Darren
Old 12-21-2014, 08:03 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Put the nut back on the shaft and pull up on it. I think I remember a Jeep/Saginaw tilt giving me the same issue. The little bit of slack in the shaft dropped it down and was enough to not be able to fit the rings into place.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:04 PM
70chev
Advanced

Thanks for the help guys. Managed to get the lock plate compressing tool onto it and gently tightened it down. Seemed to lock everything up nice and tight with no movement now and managed to get the c clip back on OK. All working well. Crisis averted.

Darren

Get notified of new replies

To 84 Steering Column Rebuild Problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 84 Steering Column Rebuild Problem