C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Refinishing my 3 piece Shelby Series 1 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 07:34 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Nice job, bro......

I like the wheels too, not every C4 has them like the A-mold or GS replicas which are too far played out and quite frankly looking a bit like yesterday's news these days.......

Those wheels will stand the test of time; but yes the bare metal looks good but won't after a short time; they will oxidize with humidity, etc. even if the car is driven in perfect conditions.

Good catch and great work, great thread!
Old 12-21-2014, 12:40 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1

I don't know that I would have separated the rim-halves but it's done now.
I didn't realize they were on the back. I thought they were in the center.

I know better now
Old 12-21-2014, 01:18 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
Nice job, bro......

I like the wheels too, not every C4 has them like the A-mold or GS replicas which are too far played out and quite frankly looking a bit like yesterday's news these days.......

Those wheels will stand the test of time; but yes the bare metal looks good but won't after a short time; they will oxidize with humidity, etc. even if the car is driven in perfect conditions.

Good catch and great work, great thread!
Thanks, Brother
I have decided to leave them bare/no paint and clear them
Old 12-21-2014, 01:36 PM
nutz4c4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ch@0s
Thanks, Brother
I have decided to leave them bare/no paint and clear them
Old 12-21-2014, 02:27 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I call the finish on mine raw aluminum. Took me a few weeks of tinkering with differnt grits , patterns and steel wool and polish to get what I wanted. I did the sides of my spokes a different finish to get the look I wanted from the wheel.

While I like polished better than chrome, I prefer silver much better than both. Why? Polished and chrome reflects and half the time it's reflecting dark things and the spokes get hidden or dissapear. With silver or a non reflective finish the spokes never dissapear. The wheels will look bigger in almost all light conditions which imo is the purpose of larger wheels no? My finish is like silver but it's raw aluminum. Not brushed and not polished but a raw silver finish. I like it because under light and the sun they appear more white which I like. Most people will never notice but I don't usually care to share the little details. And imo it's the little details that make the difference

As for the fitment.. Many wheels can be reverse mounted, sandwich mounted and mounted on the outside. If the face is flat on both sides and 'fits' (usually there's a ring that centers the face inside the lip/barrel) in either position it can be done. Some bbs wheels are like that. I'm not sure about the Shelby but they may be like that ? It allows slight variation in offset and a different look.

Definitely clear Powdercoat the face afterwards. Mike the powdercoater is a good guy to use but any local pc can do it. Leave a bolt in a hole and they can hang the faces and pc properly. I left 3 bolts in at 12, 4 and 8 and asked to rotate the face and spray the pc evenly on all sides. Also taped off the backpad so when bolted to the rotor hub the pc wouldn't chip or peel from ring torqued down. I also taped the bolt area as to ensure the straightness of the wheel on reassembly.

I had a little special extra added to the clear

Last edited by 5abivt; 12-21-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:31 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 5abivt
I call the finish on mine raw aluminum. Took me a few weeks of tinkering with differnt grits , patterns and steel wool and polish to get what I wanted. I did the sides of my spokes a different finish to get the look I wanted from the wheel.

While I like polished better than chrome, I prefer silver much better than both. Why? Polished and chrome reflects and half the time it's reflecting dark things and the spokes get hidden or dissapear. With silver or a non reflective finish the spokes never dissapear. The wheels will look bigger in almost all light conditions which imo is the purpose of larger wheels no? My finish is like silver but it's raw aluminum. Not brushed and not polished but a raw silver finish. I like it because under light and the sun they appear more white which I like. Most people will never notice but I don't usually care to share the little details. And imo it's the little details that make the difference

As for the fitment.. Many wheels can be reverse mounted, sandwich mounted and mounted on the outside. If the face is flat on both sides and 'fits' (usually there's a ring that centers the face inside the lip/barrel) in either position it can be done. Some bbs wheels are like that. I'm not sure about the Shelby but they may be like that ? It allows slight variation in offset and a different look.

Definitely clear Powdercoat the face afterwards. Mike the powdercoater is a good guy to use but any local pc can do it. Leave a bolt in a hole and they can hang the faces and pc properly. I left 3 bolts in at 12, 4 and 8 and asked to rotate the face and spray the pc evenly on all sides. Also taped off the backpad so when bolted to the rotor hub the pc wouldn't chip or peel from ring torqued down. I also taped the bolt area as to ensure the straightness of the wheel on reassembly.

I had a little special extra added to the clear
Thanks for the tip. If my wheels look half as good as yours I will be very happy.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:39 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

I was going to clear coat the wheels myself but it turns out my clear has expired.I talked with the powdercoaters today. They want $90 per wheel center and said they would need to sandblast . I don't think that sand blasting the wheels would accomplish the look I want, so back to the drawing board.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:46 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Thanks for the tip. If my wheels look half as good as yours I will be very happy.
5abivt's wheels look great and that finish would be perfect for your wheels as well.
Good luck duplicating it.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:28 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Im still struggling with the look I want. This is what they look like stripped and wet sanded with 1500 wet DA.

I'm not sure if it the look I want.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:59 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

looks like a gunmetal or charcoal or is that just the photo
Old 12-26-2014, 07:21 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
looks like a gunmetal or charcoal or is that just the photo
I think its just the photo, it has a semi-polished look right now. Duplicolor makes a black chrome kit. I wonder what it would look like on aluminum? I may try it on one wheel.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:40 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Hmm does look a little grey/dark although it might just be the exposure .

Here's a shot of my 540 rims I did for my m3.. I did it by hand and I honestly can't recall what grit this was but it was a rougher grit maybe 4-800 Id have to dig back over photos. The scratching made it bright which is what I was after.
Try a few pieces of sand paper .. Remenber to spray brake clean or water and wipe as the residue will darken the aluminum after sanding .

Few pics

For the faces I used a finer grit and then fine steel wool.
Pic after clear coat

Side by side shot of my 93 iforged wheels which are brushed /clear vs mine which are sand paper /clear. No polish used at all.

Experiment with some grits you can always sand down back to where you have them !

Last edited by 5abivt; 12-26-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:35 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

I tried this Duplicolor out on one spoke. I like it
Old 12-26-2014, 09:37 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 5abivt
Hmm does look a little grey/dark although it might just be the exposure .

Here's a shot of my 540 rims I did for my m3.. I did it by hand and I honestly can't recall what grit this was but it was a rougher grit maybe 4-800 Id have to dig back over photos. The scratching made it bright which is what I was after.
Try a few pieces of sand paper .. Remenber to spray brake clean or water and wipe as the residue will darken the aluminum after sanding .

Few pics

For the faces I used a finer grit and then fine steel wool.
Pic after clear coat

Side by side shot of my 93 iforged wheels which are brushed /clear vs mine which are sand paper /clear. No polish used at all.

Experiment with some grits you can always sand down back to where you have them !
This is the look I pictured in my head. Did you sand in one direction?
Old 12-26-2014, 10:41 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,644 Posts

This is the look I pictured in my head.
Do you really like the look of the black chrome? I think in the long run you would be much happier with the "brushed" look.
I'm with 5abivt on this. The 1500 is too fine. Try 800. You can always go in steps with something a little rougher until you get the look you want. Take your time. You only want to do this once.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:59 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

This is the look I pictured in my head. Did you sand in one direction?
Yes on that part I went with the shape of the rim. The multispoke a are a major pita :/ my 5 spokes took me less than 1/4 the time. Try a rough grit and just go in a circular pattern. At one point I debated on bolting the face to my car and leaving it in drive and just holding a fine wife brush or sandpaper in place lol.

Not a fan of anything dark imo . Personal preference but anything dark will just look smaller to the eye and is the opposite of what big wheels are trying to achieve in the aesthetics department.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:25 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

I have 2 of the wheel centers painted. I think they came out great. They look a little darker in the picture. In person they look black crome. The wheel in the center is for comparison.

I decided to polish them up so I stated with 1000 and worked my way up to 2500. I did this so i could use a product designed for chrome.

I have 2 of the wheel centers painted. I think they came out great. They look a little darker in the picture. In person they look black chrome. The wheel in the center is for comparison.

Get notified of new replies

To Refinishing my 3 piece Shelby Series 1 wheels

Old 12-29-2014, 10:21 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

I like the wheel in the center personally. As good as dark colors look up close. They look smaller when you assemble it. The you add a tire and they look even smaller. Then you stand back to admire them and from 10 feet away you can't even see them. A forged piece of aluminum in my opinion should be seen. Again sorry but it's just my opinion not a fan of dark wheels.

Here's a photo of my friend Kevins car I modded for him. Compare it to this car in black wheels. It's a specific angle and light and an extreme example of course but it shows what I mean about black wheels....

(Me trying to convince you to polish lol)
Old 12-30-2014, 03:05 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

You may get your wish. A little disappointed to say the least. I got the wheels out in the sunlight and they had a green tint to them and looked splotchy out in the sun. Back to the drawing board.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:10 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

here is a quick shot of the original finish and the Hyper Silver wheel 'kit' from duplicolor

I barely used the kit, still have it if you are interested in it I can send it to you

Quick Reply: Refinishing my 3 piece Shelby Series 1 wheels