C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Exhaust rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Mike1985
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust rattle

Hey all, when I accelerate hard on my 85 you can hear a very loud rattle which sounds like it's coming from my exhaust. Just wanted to know if anyone else experiences this as well..
Old 12-21-2014, 12:22 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

Check your cat to begin with. See if it rattles if you shake it or slap it with your hand.

Then check for clearance on all the pipes and mufflers between the body. Check the heat shield above the cat.

Check the mufflers to see if they are perhaps rusted out inside. Shake or slap the mufflers.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:15 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
Check your cat to begin with. See if it rattles if you shake it or slap it with your hand.

Then check for clearance on all the pipes and mufflers between the body. Check the heat shield above the cat.

Check the mufflers to see if they are perhaps rusted out inside. Shake or slap the mufflers.

a lot of the things to check were mentioned above, the only things I will add is check front weld on rear Y pipe heat shield and see if it cracked, and pre Puff converter (the little converters on each side) cars were prone to inner wall separation of the Exhaust pipes. to diagnose raise up car and run it have someone raise the idle to make rattle. take a pair of large channel locks and give lite squeeze in various places on front Y pipe, the rattle will diminish or go away. if rattle changes take a ballpeen hammer and put a small dimple in place were you squeezed.

Last edited by s carter; 12-21-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:59 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

My guess is cat heat shield.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust rattle

Quick Reply: Exhaust rattle