C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Do you need an OptiSpark?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 08:21 PM
geb@abq
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SacCityCorvette
First I would like to say, we do not manufacture these Optisparks. AIP Electronics does and they would have more realistic numbers than us. I would also say you might find those QC numbers in some higher end electronics but I don't think you will find that with Optisparks of any brand. Thank you for your input.

Thank you
Christian
Just going out to my garage to start pulling my AIP Opti. Don't know for sure if it is bad, but going to pull it and put my old Mitsubishi Opti. sensor in the AIP carcass. Don't know if the opti was original to my stock 96, with 117K on the clock, but was running ok, just chasing a little "lope" in open loop. Think the previous owner was chasing the same thing, as he had changed out plugs,wires, FPR, EGR, rebuilt Computer, etc. I bought the car from his Widow. Little to no records, as he bought the car off a lot...so. Anyway, started throwing a P1351 code, and overheating (probably timing). I know that a 1351 is supposed to be shorted/grounded wire, but the damned thing runs pretty good, just the code won't stay gone. Changed out all the ignition crap, and no change. Chased all wires grounds, etc. and no change. So, going to call AIP tomorrow. Will let you know. I hate posts that just "end" and no follow-up when resolved
Old 02-25-2017, 10:58 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Location: SacCityCorvette.com in Sacramento Ca Join us on Facebook!
Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12,'13,'15,'16,'17

Hi Geb,
Did you buy the AIP Opti from us? If so, if its still with in the warranty and you haven't tempered with it AIP will it test it and send a new one if its bad. Opti problems can be a pain in the butt. Sorry your having issues.

Thanks
Christian

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!

Last edited by SacCityCorvette; 02-26-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:57 PM
geb@abq
Instructor

Originally Posted by SacCityCorvette
Hi Geb,
Did you buy the AIP Opti from us? If so, if its still with in the warranty and you you haven't tempered with it AIP will it test it and send a new one if its bad. Opti problems can be a pain in the butt. Sorry your having issues.

Thanks
Christian
No, I got it from Amazon, and installed it in Mar 2016, probably about 400 miles ago. Not even sure if my problem is the Opti, I have changed so much stuff, and am down to trying that. Everything has been made more difficult by "bad parts" First was a new oil pressure sender/switch, it was shorted and the fuel pump rean even with the key off, next was an ICM, and car wouldn't run at all. Was thinking about getting a new Sensor from AIP, because I'm sure the cap/rotor/bearing, etc. is good. The old Opti had 117K on it, but it is Mitsubishi, and the car was running with no codes, so thinking I will put my Mitsubishi sensor in the AIP distributor ??
Old 02-27-2017, 12:07 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

All those issues are a real bummer! If you know the Mitsubishi sensor is good for sure and if it will fit the AIP dist it might be worth a try, but that's a lot of work if it doesn't workout.

Christian
Old 02-28-2017, 05:27 AM
gears
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This will be my 3rd opti in 2 years..I'm afraid to buy one now as they all seem to fail either right out of the box or 1500 miles down the road. Its the cost of having one installed thats just as bad. Do you have a failure rate on your opti's? I want to be reassured that if I get one of yours and have it installed that it will be the last one for many years.I only drive my vette 3500 miles a year or so.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:52 PM
geb@abq
Instructor

Originally Posted by gears
This will be my 3rd opti in 2 years..I'm afraid to buy one now as they all seem to fail either right out of the box or 1500 miles down the road. Its the cost of having one installed thats just as bad. Do you have a failure rate on your opti's? I want to be reassured that if I get one of yours and have it installed that it will be the last one for many years.I only drive my vette 3500 miles a year or so.
Hello Gears. Been "studying" this Opti thing for about a year, and I'm sure you have researched on the Corvette Forum, and there does not seem to be any real consensus on the issue. Everyone has their own "horrible" opti story. You're right, it is a lot of work or expense to change it. I have searched other Forums such as LT1, and all are similar in experiences. This setup was was used by GM in models such as the Buick Roadmaster, Firebird's and Camaro, as well as some other models from 92-97, so there was a lot of them out there. It appears that nobody including MSD and ACCEL has made a reliable Opti; although individual experiences have had good outcomes.

Seems like that the original Mitsubishi sensor is reliable, and is reused in GM reman. Was never able to definitively determine if anyone is making a new Opti and using "new" Mitsubishi sensors. As nearly as I can determine, the original sensor will basically last forever unless it has been contaminated with moisture or antifreeze. So, the "purists" seem to believe that you have to go with OEM if you can find one, or a reman with the Mitsubishi sensor.

I changed my Opti just after I got the car about a year ago, probably was nothing wrong with it but the car has 117K miles, and I was chasing an idle "lope", so I just started changing everything. Looking closely at the old Opti, it does have the Mitsubishi sensor, and someone had changed the cap and rotor, and everything looks pretty good inside, no evidence of moisture, and the car has spent its entire life in the desert Southwest. Big mistake just changing out parts, because a great percentage of new parts are defective. Anyway, think I will put my Mitsubishi sensor in the AIP opti if it will interchange. Guess if I could afford it, I would try to find a new GM opti, and ensure that it has a Mitsubishi sensor ??
Old 02-28-2017, 02:26 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Hi Guys,
Yes the Mitsubishi sensor is the best. AIP claims they use their own Mitsubishi Specification AIP Optical Encoder. We have sold quit a few of them with minimal issues. Because of the success rate we were able to negotiate a 2 yr warranty on them when purchased through SacCityCorvette. No brand of Opti has the best reliability record, even the $500 one. But for the price and warranty the AIP Opti that we sell seems to have a good track record, that is why we sell them. We won't sell products that will make us look bad and tarnish our reputation. But as I said NO opti is perfectly reliable, some are just more than others.

Thank you,
Christian
Old 03-16-2017, 05:42 PM
geb@abq
Instructor

Originally Posted by gears
Hi Gears. Figured I would follow up and let you know what I did with my Opti. I installed an AIP Opti about a year ago (probably 400 miles) and have been chasing an idle "lope" for all that time, and recently decided to start eliminating stuff once again. I was going to use my Mitsubishi sensor from my old Opti in the AIP. When I removed the AIP, it had 4 of the brass terminals corroded solid green inside the distributor cap. I may have gotten moisture inside it when I changed my Coolant Temp Sensor; however, it should have stayed dry, as the distributor had silicone gaskets ?? Anyway, was going to use the AIP base and bearing, but noticed that there was a black circular mark about an inch and half long on the opti wheel, indicating that it had been rubbing slightly on the sensor, which would mean that the bearing was not running "true", so I threw the entire AIP Opti away and used my old Opti.

It appears that my rough idle was caused all this time by a bad Ignition Control Module. I replaced the OEM Module with a cheapo from 1a auto parts, and it would not even run, so I threw it away and reinstalled the OEM, and ordered a new Delphi from Rock Auto. Well, I took the Delphi and the OEM to Autozone the past weekend and had them checked, and both failed. I bought a new Duralast (autozone) ICM, had them check it first, then installed it, and the car runs great for the first time. I believe that the previous owner was chasing the same problem, as he had replaced a bunch of parts as well as having had the PCM rebuilt. I never imagined an ICM would cause such symptoms. FYI..I didn't get the AIP from Sac City or I could have had it warrantied
Old 03-17-2017, 05:25 AM
krackenvette
Race Director

Received 163 Likes on 110 Posts

Opti installs are critical too. And, When I finally went to an aftermarket ignition, DELTEQ, I took the opti apart, and sealed the opti with The Right Stuff to prevent any moisture ever getting in there. And it was a 95/96 Vented Opti..
I bought a couple extra optis and have them ready to go if the sensor ever dies. Delteq, I have 2 brains for it and 2 sets of coils.
But, I digress. Seal up the opti from the moisture of the elements and the water pump if you ever take it apart, as they are aluminum and plastic..
Old 05-04-2017, 01:45 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by saccitycorvette
we carry aip optisparks with a 2 year warranty
please check our website:
http://www.saccitycorvette.com/lt1-sbc.html
The URL was wrong. Fixed it for you.

Last edited by DGXR; 05-04-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:31 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

Thank you DGXR!
Old 09-13-2017, 03:02 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

We carry AIP Optisparks with a 2 year warranty
Please check our website:
http://www.saccitycorvette.com/lt1-sbc.html
Old 09-15-2017, 02:43 AM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by krackenvette
Opti installs are critical too. And, When I finally went to an aftermarket ignition, DELTEQ, I took the opti apart, and sealed the opti with The Right Stuff to prevent any moisture ever getting in there. And it was a 95/96 Vented Opti..
I bought a couple extra optis and have them ready to go if the sensor ever dies. Delteq, I have 2 brains for it and 2 sets of coils.
But, I digress. Seal up the opti from the moisture of the elements and the water pump if you ever take it apart, as they are aluminum and plastic..
When I bought my 93 it had a delteq system. Ran terrible all the way home from Alabama to Michigan. So I took it off and put it back to stock. Still ran bad. Come to find out the new bosch 3 injectors were the wrong one's. Once they were replaced ran great. So probably the delteq was probably ok.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:04 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

This has been an informative thread dating back to 2014. I'd like to hear some of the "testimonials" from guys that have installed these optis from SAC City, both good and bad. Way back about 9 years ago, I had my opti rebuilt and improved by Chris Petis (not sure of his name or spelling). I have a 92 LT1 and he also upgraded it to vent the opti. My Vette has been running great since. I even raced it (auto cross and road course) for a year. (that was expensive) It hasn't given me any problems and still runs great.. (knock on wood).

BUT, I'm always looking for opti replacements, just in case, and this thread has helped me consider my choices.
The following users liked this post:
Vetteguy42 (09-15-2020)
Old 09-18-2017, 12:27 PM
2LZ
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Strick
This has been an informative thread dating back to 2014. I'd like to hear some of the "testimonials" from guys that have installed these optis from SAC City, both good and bad.
Same here. I just installed my AIP Sac City Opti this weekend. It fired up so....at least that's a good sign.

I did a pre-mount recon and the seals looked very good, as did the overall construction of the AIP unit. I will say this though, if the rotor screws were locktited, it wasn't very good locktite. I pulled them right out and locktited them myself. I also ran a bead of RTV around the outside of both seals....and mounted a water pump drain hose, as insurance. Paranoid? ;-)

I hope this thing lasts a while.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:23 PM
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor

We have Optisparks in stock ready to ship.

Norma
SacCityCorvette
Old 11-20-2017, 06:05 PM
kkesler
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NM, answered my own question. I've had a MSD and a Cardone fail, will give the AIP a try.

Last edited by kkesler; 11-20-2017 at 06:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Do you need an OptiSpark?

Old 11-22-2017, 01:57 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

If any of you guys are replacing a non-vented Opti do not DIY the vacuum lines. Buy a ready vented Opti to replace the non-vented.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:59 PM
kkesler
Instructor

Originally Posted by PLRX
If any of you guys are replacing a non-vented Opti do not DIY the vacuum lines. Buy a ready vented Opti to replace the non-vented.
Are you saying I should have ordered one for a 95-96 to go on my 92?
Old 11-22-2017, 04:57 PM
kkesler
Instructor

I've already ordered the AIP

Quick Reply: Do you need an OptiSpark?