C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Now What?? Engine Knock

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 09:23 PM
jimnina
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now What?? Engine Knock

I apologize for the LONG SAGA, but thought everyone needed a sad story Hopefully some one will show some mercy after reading.
It all started with an engine miss. I traded a Class 'A' RV for a 94 corvette. Going into this I knew the vette had an engine miss. I checked plugs, wires, injectors, etc and all appeared to be good. Seeing from the different threads I looked at the OptiSpark as a possible culprit. The last day I drove the vette it was harder to start and ean badly, so I was assuming that the OptiSpark was getting closer to its final death. I ordered an Optispark on line and installed it with little issue. Once I had the vette back together and tried to start it, I found it would crank but no joy on starting. Checked Spark which it had plenty of. So I turne the key on and listened for the fuel system to charge up, which it did. So I was scratching my head saying why won't the vette start. So I went under the hood and pressed on the relief valve on the injector rail and fluid came out under pressure just as I thought it should, The problem is that it wasn't gas, it was water. After reading threads on the forum I found that the 'Water Basin' better known as the fuel filler accessory had the drain plugged and the water from the current rain had went into the fuel tank. Once I broke off 70% of the bolts due to rust I was able to remove the filler tube and pump so I could siphon out the 4+ gallons of water that had accumulated in the tank. No I have cleaned the tank and primed the injector ril with fuel it was time to start the vette. As the vette started I noticed a noise that had not been there when I parked the vette, To my dismay it sounds like very rod in the bottom end spun?? The question is would the water cause a hydro lock that could affect the bearings? Is the oil pump pumping oil ( the oil pressure gauge says 30-40#'s). I'm at a loss of what to look for.
Thanks
Old 12-29-2014, 09:46 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

I know the water will ruin the injectors and can cause them to stick open thus pouring gas or in your case water into the engine. Start with an oil change and hope for the best.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:56 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

From what I'm reading, you had water in the tank, not the crankcase. Water in the fuel tank will not cause hydrolock.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:00 PM
jimnina
Heel & Toe

Hey Crowz and 383Vette,
Thanks for the replies.
I was thinking of the hydrolock due to water in the cylinders via the injectors. I wouldn't think that much water could get into the cylinders, but I'm grabbing at straws. I am going to try the oil change this weekend and see what happens.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:26 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
From what I'm reading, you had water in the tank, not the crankcase. Water in the fuel tank will not cause hydrolock.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:48 PM
jimnina
Heel & Toe

Upon further review I have noticed that even though the oil pressure gauge is reading 30-40 psi I don't see a lot of oil in the head? Is this normal for a vette to show such small amount of oil I used to taking the oil filler cap off and seeing oil soaking the rockers and such. Is it possible for the gauge to read pressure and it really doesn't have much. The oil gauge does fluctuates so I'm assuming it's working.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:39 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

There is a baffle under the filler cap. You shouldn't be able to see the rockers. If the head wasn't getting adequate oil, the lifters would let you know.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:02 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

What do the spark plugs look like? If you don't know how to read them, can you post a picture of them?

Old 01-03-2015, 07:43 PM
jimnina
Heel & Toe

The plugs were replaced about 1500 miles ago by the people I bought the vette from. I haven't pulled them since about a week after I got it. There is no baffle under the filler cap?? I can see the rockers and they do seem to have more oil after I changed the oil and filter. The change didn't help the rod knock much at all and there wasn't much discoloration of the oil, so I guess I will be pulling the pan and changing out the bearings. I had other LT1's, and other motors, and have never had one spin a bearing no matter how hard a ran it. Pretty frustrating to say the least.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:55 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
What do the spark plugs look like? If you don't know how to read them, can you post a picture of them?
This is not a stupid question. If you've had any water in your combustion chambers, the spark plugs will tell you the story! It doesn't matter that they were new 1500 miles ago. What do they look like NOW?

Old 01-05-2015, 05:50 PM
jimnina
Heel & Toe

Hey Hot Rod Roy,
Thanks for the reply on the plugs. Good point since the problem wasn't there 1500 miles ago. I will pull the plugs over the weekend, weather permitting, and give an update afterwards.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:24 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by jimnina
Hey Hot Rod Roy,
Thanks for the reply on the plugs. Good point since the problem wasn't there 1500 miles ago. I will pull the plugs over the weekend, weather permitting, and give an update afterwards.

I have a few questions/comments, does the Engine still have the miss, is it running a little Rough. is it a manual trans.

I ask because if the Engine is running rough with a Worn Dual Mass Flywheel or a lite racing Flywheel it might Magnify a horrible noise. that newer Corvette owners may not be comfortable with.

Have you done a compression test?
Is the noise high up in the motor (in the Heads) loose carbon. you may inadvertently top cleaned your Engine. pull the plugs out do the compression test, and while the plugs are out spin the with no plugs and blow out any bits of carbon that might be hiding with in.

Last edited by s carter; 01-05-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:18 PM
jimnina
Heel & Toe

Hey S Carter,
The new optispark seems to have fixed the miss I had. It is an automatic and the knock was not there before I installed the optispark. The engine did start running much worse before I replaced the distributor, hard to start, barely idling, running badly. I now suspect that the water was getting into the gas tank before I finally parked the car and that is why the other symptoms cropped up. It did seem that cylinder #7 wasn't firing correctly and that was where I think the miss was coming from. That was the only cylinder that when I unplugged the injector from #7 the engine didn't run worse. I have not done a compression test, but since I'm going to have the plugs out I should go ahead and perform a compression test. Your comment on the carbon does make sense but I have never heard a carbon knock as bad as the vette has, but I really don't see how I could have a rod knock, since it wasn't there before. I like the carbon option much better. Once I pull the plugs, run a compression test, and check for carbon particles I will post an update. It's suppose to be nice here in central florida this weekend so I will try to do the tests this weekend. There is a big Bike Event in Sarasota that might have a higher priority though
Old 01-06-2015, 12:20 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Hey S Carter,
The new optispark seems to have fixed the miss I had. It is an automatic and the knock was not there before I installed the optispark. The engine did start running much worse before I replaced the distributor, hard to start, barely idling, running badly. I now suspect that the water was getting into the gas tank before I finally parked the car and that is why the other symptoms cropped up. It did seem that cylinder #7 wasn't firing correctly and that was where I think the miss was coming from. That was the only cylinder that when I unplugged the injector from #7 the engine didn't run worse. I have not done a compression test, but since I'm going to have the plugs out I should go ahead and perform a compression test. Your comment on the carbon does make sense but I have never heard a carbon knock as bad as the vette has, but I really don't see how I could have a rod knock, since it wasn't there before. I like the carbon option much better. Once I pull the plugs, run a compression test, and check for carbon particles I will post an update. It's suppose to be nice here in central florida this weekend so I will try to do the tests this weekend. There is a big Bike Event in Sarasota that might have a higher priority though

Since you feel #7 is a problem Cylinder pay extra attention to it as Hot Rod has inferred spark plugs can tell a story. take a good look at the Electro if you have the carbon in the Cylinder odds are it would be crushed. Confirm the gaps as you go.

Last edited by s carter; 01-06-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:53 PM
jimnina
Heel & Toe

Update of the day.
Well, I pulled the plugs and the look fairly good, other than some carbon. I also performed a compression check on all of the cylinders except #8, still trying to figure out how to get the compression gauge on that one. Compression was #210 on all but two cylinders. #3 was low at #180 and #7 was not as low at #195. Plug #7 gap is much smaller, maybe due to carbon? In an earlier post I mentioned #7 showed no difference in how the engine ran when I unplugged the injector. It was actually cylinder #5.

I did not see much of anything coming out of the cylinders when I cranked it over so I'm not sure about the carbon knock. I'm going to see about getting a cylinder camera to see if I can take a look see.

Attached Images     
Old 01-11-2015, 05:45 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Update of the day.
Well, I pulled the plugs and the look fairly good, other than some carbon. I also performed a compression check on all of the cylinders except #8, still trying to figure out how to get the compression gauge on that one. Compression was #210 on all but two cylinders. #3 was low at #180 and #7 was not as low at #195. Plug #7 gap is much smaller, maybe due to carbon? In an earlier post I mentioned #7 showed no difference in how the engine ran when I unplugged the injector. It was actually cylinder #5.

I did not see much of anything coming out of the cylinders when I cranked it over so I'm not sure about the carbon knock. I'm going to see about getting a cylinder camera to see if I can take a look see.

They seem a bit nasty for 1500+- mile plugs, but in that time you have changed an OptiSpark and removed a lot of water. so either install a set of new plugs or give that set a good and proper cleaning they seem a bit Oily, and continue with your plans looking for a source of knock.

Also confirm the plugs are correct for the car.

Last edited by s carter; 01-11-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:08 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by s carter
They seem a bit nasty for 1500+- mile plugs. . . Also confirm the plugs are correct for the car.
Carter is being nice!! Those plugs are a mess! For one, if you knew how to read plugs, you would have numbered them for us. For number two, we need to see the insulators in the tip of the plugs. The photo's need to at an approximate 45* angle to see the insulators accurately. For number three, you have aluminum heads on your engine, which I'm quite sure use gaskets on the spark plugs. These are taper seat plugs for iron heads, which don't use gaskets. No wonder they look so bad!

If I'm right on the plugs, the correct plugs for your engine will have longer thread lengths, so as a result of using these shorter thread length plugs, you'll have some carbon buildup in the threads in your heads. Install your new plugs, but don't tighten them. Remove them and wipe the carbon off the threads of the plugs. You might repeat this process to remove as much carbon as practical before you tighten your plugs.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong about the right plugs for this '94 engine. (My '84 has iron heads, and uses taper seat plugs.)

You don't need a "cylinder camera" to look inside your engine. You won't learn anything.

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 01-12-2015 at 01:35 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Now What?? Engine Knock

Old 01-11-2015, 10:21 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

These are my old plugs from my 95, you'll notice the taper seat, and plug length at 11 threads.. these are stock A/C Delco's

Note; #6 cylinder had water ingression, and the plug is literally being "Steam Cleaned"

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...1&d=1421032560

Name:  P9120719.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  45.6 KB
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2015, 01:09 AM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am not very good at reading spark plugs, but it looks to me like it is or has been running rich.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:55 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong about the right plugs for this '94 engine. (My '84 has iron heads, and uses taper seat plugs.)
with Roy.

I thought all the aluminum headed engines used spark plugs with gaskets. Maybe the LT1s are different. I know that is true of L98 heads (at least the stock ones...).

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 01-12-2015 at 02:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Now What?? Engine Knock