C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Porting a LT4 intake.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:54 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Porting a LT4 intake.

I have a Gmpp LT4 intake on my 383. The intake has been port matched pretty nicely to my afr 210 heads. The intake runners where touched up a bit and the front of the intake was opened up for the 58 mm throttle body.

I am running a D1SC blower and I am wondering if porting the inside of the plenum would be worth my time? Since this is a forced induction engine will I get any extra power or better flow from removing the bolt bosses and touching up the inside at all.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Just my thoughts on this...and I have to be so DARN careful that I do not come across like I am PREACHING...because I am NOT.

Intake manifolds that have fuel/air mix going through them and reaching the cylinder head is best that the rough texture is left to better aid in breaking up the fuel droplets and atomizing the fuel better....VERSUS a 'slick as glass' polished intake manifold and runners in the cylinder heads...this rough texture is FOR a street engine not being revved to death. A RACE application and high RPM engine is something entirely different. Kinda like a straight runner intake is better suited for high rpm's versus a Edelbrock Performer design which is good for street application due to all the twists and turn in the intake that break up the air/fuel mix before it reached the cylinder head. And so I do not **** anyone off...a straight runner can be used on the street....but due to the runners being short and straight....COMMON SENSE would conclude that the fuel has less chance to break up further....and RPM's are needed to get more air in to help break it up....or you can run into the plugs loading up and getting washed out due to raw fuel...IF the carb is not correctly set. Especially during extended idling. SO...many variables apply. So do not chew my head off.

'smooth 1990'...Due to your intake does not have fuel flowing through it like an older carburetor intake...the point of getting it 'slick as glass' can be debatable if having it sent out to Extrude Hone and letting them flow the abrasive material through it to get the flow to go where it needs to go and gets it smooth also.. I am sure that there has to be an increase....how great or small of an increase is subjective. But from what I have 'heard' and can not confirm...is that Ford had there intakes Extrude Honed on the 5.0 engines.

http://www.extrudehoneafm.com/

I know what you meant....BUT.. not to make it confusing to others...the D1SC is a 'supercharger' and not a 'blower'....technically.

DUB
Old 01-23-2015, 11:34 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

My LT4 intake had around 3 pounds of aluminum removed when ported. That and ported heads with headers and etc..nets me 370+hp and 350+ torque at the rear on a 135K bottom end with hot cam. I like the porting.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:12 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

I had lloyd elliot do mine. He was fast and it was fairly cheap.

He left the rough texture.

No idea if it made me any more power.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:06 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Loyd was the man that did mine. Did a good job and got good power. He only answers calls between 8 and 9, IIRC, because he is busy in his shop after 9.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:27 AM
GRKLGHTNG
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
My LT4 intake had around 3 pounds of aluminum removed when ported. That and ported heads with headers and etc..nets me 370+hp and 350+ torque at the rear on a 135K bottom end with hot cam. I like the porting.
Are those numbers at the rear wheels?
Old 01-29-2015, 08:35 AM
GRKLGHTNG
Instructor

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
I had lloyd elliot do mine. He was fast and it was fairly cheap.

He left the rough texture.

No idea if it made me any more power.
Is Lloyd Elliot a vendor on here? Or could you please provide his contact info? I have a '96 LT4 as well, and have been looking at options for intake/heads. I was thinking about the Edelbrock intake and heads, but the more I read about them and compare them to the factory pieces, the more I realize that they're almost the same, and that I could probably improve on pieces that I already have instead of spending more on new ones. Thank you in advance!
Old 01-29-2015, 09:38 AM
FrankieD
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

here you go:
http://elliottsportworks.com/
Old 01-29-2015, 12:24 PM
GRKLGHTNG
Instructor

Originally Posted by FrankieD
Thanks Frankie! You man!