C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Oil temp sender - question - some info

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 03:32 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Default Oil temp sender - question - some info

1992 - 1996

Analog needle doesn't want to move, digital read is fine.

FSM provides no replacement info. An older forum post by Tom Piper, a top forum poster for many years, defined the oil temp sensor/sender as a 2-in-1 unit (3 wires) for both the analog and digital read-outs.

Other searches have suggested the problem could be with the dash cluster, and not necessarily with the sender, by testing electrically.

Sender is located atop the oil filter. Some have suggested the sender can be located by feel only, as it is near the cat converter.

Looking for responses from those who have replaced the oil temp sender/sensor.

TIA

don
Old 01-12-2015, 02:21 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The oil pressure sensor and oil pressure switch were combined into a single unit that has 3 wires. Apparently that was what Mr. Piper was talking about.

The oil temperature sender is on the side of the block above the oil filter on L98s. I believe it's in the same location on LT1s. This is what the one on my L98 looks like (single green wire attaches to it -- the other wires go to ground G104, which was moved to a bell housing bolt in later years):

Old 01-12-2015, 09:26 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Thanks for the reply, Cliff.

This is supposed to be the LT1 location for the temp sensor (not a photo from my vette):

The photo seems to have been taken with the engine removed, so the complications of the cat-converter are not evident. I've read that removal of the sensor/sender/switch is accomplished by 'feel' as the cat blocks visibility.

I'm too old (82) to crawl under the vette, so I must rely on others
to provide accurate info.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:54 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by seabright
Thanks for the reply, Cliff.

This is supposed to be the LT1 location for the temp sensor (not a photo from my vette):

The photo seems to have been taken with the engine removed, so the complications of the cat-converter are not evident. I've read that removal of the sensor/sender/switch is accomplished by 'feel' as the cat blocks visibility.

I'm too old (82) to crawl under the vette, so I must rely on others
to provide accurate info.
That is indeed the correct location for the device and it's a dual purpose device, oil temp and oil life indicator. The device is the same as that used on the LT5/ZR1 and others.

1096136 GM for OE/ACD.

An image of the OE/ACD is here:

http://www.jerrysgaskets.com/sensor-...new-90-91-7d2/

The FSM @ 6D5-4 (engine wiring left rear) VIN P should confirm that for you. I would think that if you "hire" an oil & filter service the replacement should be easily accomplished OR maybe just confirm the connection is in place. Does the oil life monitor function?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-12-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:38 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
That is indeed the correct location for the device and it's a dual purpose device, oil temp and oil life indicator. The device is the same as that used on the LT5/ZR1 and others.

1096136 GM for OE/ACD.

An image of the OE/ACD is here:

http://www.jerrysgaskets.com/sensor-...new-90-91-7d2/

The FSM @ 6D5-4 (engine wiring left rear) VIN P should confirm that for you. I would think that if you "hire" an oil & filter service the replacement should be easily accomplished OR maybe just confirm the connection is in place. Does the oil life monitor function?
Correction: part # should read 10096136

Thanks for the informative post, WVZR-1. That sensor/sender
is actually a 3 in 1 device..... digital, analog, and oil life. The same
ACDelco part number is listed twice in the RockAuto catalog....
one without the 'oil life', and one with 'oil life' capability.

Regarding replacement.... my repair shop is not vette specific (my vette may be the only one they work on), so I try to provide as much info as possible, including the replacement parts.

I haven't tested the oil life feature, but the digital read-out works fine. It is just the analog needle that doesn't move.

I appears to be a simple replacement, but when I read about
having to 'feel' for the sensor due to the proximity of the cat-conveter, I am trying to learn as much as possible in case my son can handle the job without the convenience of a hoist.

Last edited by don hall; 01-12-2015 at 07:51 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil temp sender - question - some info

Quick Reply: Oil temp sender - question - some info