C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Better shock and performance and price than Bilstein

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 10:18 AM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by whalepirot
Bilstein revalved mine to 'Challenge' specs and my Z51 car has a great ride, so unlike the original, yet suffered no handling loss.
So who do I talk to at Bilstein?

A few years ago I called about getting stock 1988 Z51 shocks rebuilt to original specs. I was told they don't rebuild them.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:40 AM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
A little shock history.

QA1 bought HAL shocks from Hal Lee in 1998ish. Before that all QA1 was known for was imported low priced rod ends from China. QA1 sent most of the mfgring of the HAL shock internals off to China... Now QA1 shock internal parts are imported and then the imported parts are assembled here.

Hal Lee went to work for Chris Alston and helped design the Vari-Shock in 2004ish. He now operates a custom shock service that does shock dyno, repair and re-valves (Express Shock Services) in Florida. Sorry no website for HAL.

Carrera was owned by Dick Anderson. He started it in 1964 (building wheelie bars and lift kits) and started mfgring racing shocks in 1968. The first racing shocks mfgr'd in the USA. Carrera coilovers were OEM on the Callaway TT's. The Carrera name, shock designs and mfgring equipment were all bought by QA1 in 2004.

Dick is a personal friend of my family. Infact the chassis under Dicks 1954 Lincon Carrera Panamericana race car was built at Billy Clanton racing where my dad built engines for a few years. We ran mostly Carrera's on our race cars from the 70's to the 90's (dad did get swayed to run Pro Shocks in the 90's) but Billy Clanton refused to run anything but Carrera's on his race cars.

http://www.mexicanroadracecars.com/pubs/hrl_001.pdf

Dick has been heading another shock company (MagneShocks) out of Georgia that specializes in shocks with electronic controlled valving... something he started toying around with in the 90's.

www.magneshocks.com

Like I said before Vi-King is a breakaway group of engineers and marketing people from QA1. They advertise made in the USA but I am positive they are assembled here and the internals are made over seas... No way they could do a 100% USA product at their price point. They do make a darn nice product for $150-$200.
Will
Thanks Will I will give them a call and see what they have that might work for me for autocross and one road race day or two a year. That way I can compare. Kevin

Quick Reply: Better shock and performance and price than Bilstein