C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1990 Stock CD Player Problems - Again

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 12:46 PM
Red1990VT
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 40 Posts
Default 1990 Stock CD Player Problems - Again

Forgive me if this has already been addressed somewhere on these forums. When I tried searching for it, I got something back on Eric Holder going after big banks. No criticism intended, but whoever oversees the IT aspects of Corvetteforum might want to look at searching and how it is done, with an eye toward making it useful...and why is Eric Holder being discussed on a Corvette forum anyway?

Never mind, I don't really want to know...

I'm on my second stock CD player in my 1990 Corvette. I removed the stock head unit, which as is typical with C4 Corvettes practically required removing the gas tank and front bumper...disassembled the CD Cassette AMFM head unit, and replaced the CD box with a 'refurbished' stock unit from whichever supplier (I'm going to have to hunt down the receipt, it was early last year or late 2013).

Replaced it all in the car (also recently had to remove and replace the receiver box, another feet in the air remove and install treat if you haven't experienced it) and the Bose system overall worked great. Until a few weeks ago. Then ERR started showing up.

Question for everyone is...just what fails in these CD players? Cleaning the lens did not help. I insert a CD, it sounds like it is spinning, and then ERR comes up and out comes the disc. This happens with commercially made as well as home made discs. Does the laser burn out? Something in the electronics quit? Anyone know? Because knowing what's failing will help me decide on whether to keep trying to fix the stock unit or finally give in and come to the aftermarket dark side...

I really want to keep my 1990 all stock if possible; the Bose system sounds incredible when it is all working. Unlike aftermarket fixes, this system was designed specifically for the C4 and it shows (sounds?). And I don't like the look of newer aftermarket units in what is becoming a classic car. It is a visual clash, like a whats wrong with this picture appearance. So, at the expense of USB, Bluetooth and presumably higher reliability, no aftermarket units if I can avoid that.

Thanks in advance if you can help...

Quick Reply: 1990 Stock CD Player Problems - Again