C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

fuel issue tried everything

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 10:04 PM
bley49
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default fuel issue tried everything

Updated
Maf
Fuel pump
CTS
Fuel filter
O2 sensor
EGR valve gasket
Minimum idle and TPS adjustment
ECM is replaced with factory PROM
Throttle body gasket is done and tb is clean
New IAC
Spark Plugs AC delcos and Wires
Intake manifold gaskets
EGR is brand new
Air Filter cleaned

1985 L98 stock minus exhaust
Probably a couple things I'm missing

Everytime I replace something it seems better but goes back to its old ways in a day

Last edited by bley49; 02-15-2015 at 03:38 AM. Reason: update
Old 01-19-2015, 10:37 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by bley49
Throttle response and won't start runs rich when too warm was working perfectly for about 10 minutes after all these repairs
Maf
Fuel pump
CTS
Fuel filter
O2 sensor
EGR valve gasket
ECM is fine
New IAC

Intake manifold gaskets

1985 L98 stock minus exhaust and a chip I'm thinking it's the damn chip 1st owner put in

Still I get bogged down and it won't run because its too damn rich when its warm I need your guys help again as usual.
The next thing i would check for is a vacum leak ahead of the o2 sensor but after the manifold, which artificially makes it look to the o2 sensor that its running lean (cause more air has been added after the combustion), and secondly i would do a leak down test on your fuel rail, it is possible that your injectors are leaking like seives dumping fuel into the system.

but I am not an expert, just learning, and this is what I would do if it were me based on what I have read on here by the experts.

Also I'd remove the chip.

Hope this might help you.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:08 PM
bley49
Instructor

thanks for the imput i forgot to add all the vaccuum lines are new without any leaks
Old 01-19-2015, 11:17 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

thanks for the imput i forgot to add all the vaccuum lines are new without any leaks

its good those are new. my understanding is that a vacum leak ahead of the combustion creates high idle (u dont have) and that vacum leak in exhaust(?) after combustion (but drawn into the system as it flows out the exhaust system) may cause an o2 sensor to read high o2 (cause of the fresh air mixing with actual exhaust gas) and therefore instruct more fuel to be input, causing a rich condition which is what your describing.

have u verified your plugs are being fouled by pulling a couple from the easy side? (driver).

and i would do the leak down test for the injectors.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:19 PM
bley49
Instructor

Plugs are new and all good also forgot to add those to the list
Old 01-20-2015, 03:35 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The ECM controls the AFR based on the CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor) mounted on the front of the intake manifold under the throttle body. If the sensor/connector pins/wiring is bad the ECM will think the coolant temperature is -40°F and will richen up the mixture.

Check for error codes in the ECM:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1574918379-post18.html
http://corvettephotographs.com/c4vettes/codes.htm

What they mean:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1576116036-post35.html
Old 01-20-2015, 04:01 AM
bley49
Instructor

sensor and connector pins are new and all good now no codes on the ECM
Old 01-21-2015, 08:51 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Fuel injectors seems to fit the symptoms of the problem. On these years cars injectors are always getting replaced. I would get them checked or replaced.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:24 PM
viii
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

many years ago I had similar issues. stumble, unpredictable cutting out, turning really rich, (soot on the bumper rich), car was possessed. turns out it was the ECM that was bad.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:36 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Throttle response and won't start runs rich when too warm was working perfectly for about 10 minutes after all these repairs
Maf
Fuel pump
CTS
Fuel filter
O2 sensor
EGR valve gasket
ECM is fine
New IAC
Spark Plugs
Intake manifold gaskets

1985 L98 stock minus exhaust and a chip I'm thinking it's the damn chip 1st owner put in

Still I get bogged down and it won't run because its too damn rich when its warm I need your guys help again as usual.
How do you know it is running rich and not starving for fuel?

First thing I would do is put the stock chip back in. If it still runs rough, I would check fuel pressure and then injectors.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:45 AM
bley49
Instructor

funny thing Viii my mechanic said it was possessed, I already got a new ECM with a PROM on its way
Old 01-23-2015, 05:23 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

funny thing Viii my mechanic said it was possessed, I already got a new ECM with a PROM on its way
I think you are on the right track here. One thing you mentioned is the car runs fine for about 10 minutes. If this coincides with a battery disconnect, the reset ECM goes back to square one and then starts getting input from all sensors to make adjustments to engine function. If the aftermarket chip is causing issues I would think it might take a bit for the car to start showing up. I dunno but its a thought.

You did miss the boat a little bit by not upgrading to a later ECM tho. Theres nothing wrong with the 85 computer but the 86 and later ones are smarter and are more tuneable. If mine kicks the bucket I am planning on doing this. At the rate my car is puking parts I figure it wont be long.

Since no one has suggested it I would check your fuel pump relay and the wiring there. The insulation shrinks away from the connectors and sometimes these wires get frayed and start losing their full current potential or strands cross over to other wires. Not necessarily saying this is the smoking gun but something to look at as a preventative item.

Good luck and keep posting when you have solved the issue. I am having fueling issues with mine so I will be very curious as to your results.

Last edited by HlhnEast; 01-23-2015 at 05:29 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:16 PM
bley49
Instructor

I appreciate the help gentleman yeah, I wouldn't have jumped the gun on the ECM and PROM so fast if it wasn't so hard to find a factory PROM
Old 01-23-2015, 07:17 PM
Capt Mike
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Let us all now your results with the new ECM 7 PROM

Also, try removing the top plate on you Throttle Body. Make sure the gasket is good and the airways are clear & clean,,

Good Luck
Old 01-24-2015, 01:27 AM
bley49
Instructor

airways are clean gasket is new thanks for all the tips though I'll be glad to update when the new ECM is in because I heard some others are having a similar problem
Old 01-27-2015, 04:28 AM
bley49
Instructor

Newish ECM swapped in with a FACTORY PROM what a difference! For now... did the swap at midnight after work tonight drove it about 20 miles with multiple starts seems like a new car one start did throw up a a check engine light will investigate further so far so good. I appreciate all the tips and help from this threads and it predecessors you guys are the best! Will update after driving it to class tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:06 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Newish ECM swapped in with a FACTORY PROM what a difference! For now... did the swap at midnight after work tonight drove it about 20 miles with multiple starts seems like a new car one start did throw up a a check engine light will investigate further so far so good. I appreciate all the tips and help from this threads and it predecessors you guys are the best! Will update after driving it to class tomorrow.
Sounds like you may have it licked. Wait a couple days and report back. For some reason, my car fools me, running great for two days, then reverting back to its bad habits.

Get notified of new replies

To fuel issue tried everything

Old 01-27-2015, 10:43 AM
Capt Mike
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Great News,

Alex does my PCM Tuning, does a fantastic Job !
\
http://www.pcmperformance.com/
Old 01-27-2015, 12:57 PM
Turbovette LT1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull a plug and post a pic, a lean condition can fool you. Burn you eye and stink up the garage badly

Last edited by Turbovette LT1; 01-27-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:22 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I put a chip in my ECM years ago and thought I'd lost the original chip. Never throw that stuff away. I found it in a box of stuff after we moved. Whew! Mine's an early 86 with iron heads and auto, so it's a pretty specific chip. I guess they all are, but try to find the factory chip ha ha.

Quick Reply: fuel issue tried everything