C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'92 needs a new turn signal MultiFunction Switch

Old 01-21-2015, 11:15 PM
sunrise7
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default '92 needs a new turn signal MultiFunction Switch

So here's the symptom.... I can push the directional lever down to indicate a left turn and the turn signal will come on.... I can not pull the lever back up to turn it off ... only way to turn it off is to actually turn the steering wheel for a left turn and have it return which will turn off the turn signal. I can not turn on the right signal at all. Lever is fine but is very loose or floppy. So I believe either the MFS itself or the bracket that anchors it has cracked. Does anyone have a good write up of the procedure to remove what I need to remove to get to these parts so I can replace what I need to ??? Also, what special tools will I need ?? I have not taken this column apart before.... I assume I have to pull the steering wheel, etc .... Thanks....
Old 01-22-2015, 02:00 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by sunrise7
So here's the symptom.... I can push the directional lever down to indicate a left turn and the turn signal will come on.... I can not pull the lever back up to turn it off ... only way to turn it off is to actually turn the steering wheel for a left turn and have it return which will turn off the turn signal. I can not turn on the right signal at all. Lever is fine but is very loose or floppy. So I believe either the MFS itself or the bracket that anchors it has cracked. Does anyone have a good write up of the procedure to remove what I need to remove to get to these parts so I can replace what I need to ??? Also, what special tools will I need ?? I have not taken this column apart before.... I assume I have to pull the steering wheel, etc .... Thanks....
You need a wiper switch I'd say and there's several sources for reproduction and OE. A search for this GM part # should yield many possibilities:

GM # 26015119

There's a multitude of threads that cover replacement. A simple search here revealed many possibilities. This link may take you to some of the "search results":

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rchid=45082179

If not do searches using multifunction switch, the GM part #, wiper switch replacement or similar. Find one that your comfortable with and have at it.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:09 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Here is a possible short cut.

The MFS is a pain to replace... the chassis of the switch is what fails, it is made of pig metal and has 2 long ridges on it that control the turn signal.

One of those ridges has fallen off or worn down. Take a look by removing the plastic cover behind the switch... you might be able to use something like JB Weld to fix the broken ridge and postpone the inevitable.

It's worth a shot...

Other wise, it's not a bad idea to completely rebuild the column... new bearings, new tilt springs and bushings... new switches... it's not hard, just a pain.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:10 AM
sunrise7
Advanced

Originally Posted by bogus
Here is a possible short cut.

The MFS is a pain to replace... the chassis of the switch is what fails, it is made of pig metal and has 2 long ridges on it that control the turn signal.

One of those ridges has fallen off or worn down. Take a look by removing the plastic cover behind the switch... you might be able to use something like JB Weld to fix the broken ridge and postpone the inevitable.

It's worth a shot...

Other wise, it's not a bad idea to completely rebuild the column... new bearings, new tilt springs and bushings... new switches... it's not hard, just a pain.
I think its the part that the turn signal lever seats in that busted.... Is that the MFS or something else... ant references on the steering column disassembly / re-assembly to do this job ? The one above didn't work ............ Thanks..
Old 01-25-2015, 05:13 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by sunrise7
I think its the part that the turn signal lever seats in that busted.... Is that the MFS or something else... ant references on the steering column disassembly / re-assembly to do this job ? The one above didn't work ............ Thanks..
A link to search results will usually stick for a complete day. Create your own search. It ain't that difficult. The TS lever is secured in the wiper switch or MFS whichever you might like to call it. I even mentioned the search phrases to use.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:35 PM
sunrise7
Advanced

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
A link to search results will usually stick for a complete day. Create your own search. It ain't that difficult. The TS lever is secured in the wiper switch or MFS whichever you might like to call it. I even mentioned the search phrases to use.
Thanks WVZR-1.... haven't had much time to attack the problem yet and have been trying to gather as much information about the issue I am having before doing so..... I will run a search.. I did find some informative pictures on previous threads. Seems the problem I have can be the result of several different failures / breaks ....

Get notified of new replies

To '92 needs a new turn signal MultiFunction Switch

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '92 needs a new turn signal MultiFunction Switch