C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

clearance between steering knuckle and wheel speed gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 05:10 PM
wookieeikoow
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clearance between steering knuckle and wheel speed gear

Reassembling a C4 front suspension after blast and powder coat and finding interference between the cavity in the steering knuckle and the gear. There is powder coat inside the cavity, is it that tight ?
Old 01-25-2015, 09:08 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by wookieeikoow
Reassembling a C4 front suspension after blast and powder coat and finding interference between the cavity in the steering knuckle and the gear. There is powder coat inside the cavity, is it that tight ?
I can see where it certainly could become an issue but it certainly I would think could have been avoided by proper preparation of the knuckle before hand. Powder mil thicknesses can vary widely and are certainly much thicker than a typical "solvent" based application.

You've got the knuckle, the hub and the ABS sensor so I'd think you only need to acquire the proper measuring devices, learn how to use them and maybe the proper way to prep a part for powder.

If it were an issue I would have thought a more appropriate post might have been that a certain mil thickness created an issue vs. your post.

You don't mention where the interference is so it's difficult to actually respond. Is the issue depth of the knuckle bore, diameter of the knuckle bore in relationship to the reluctor ring, both or WHAT?

This is a DIY project or a "for hire" project?

Find someone with an "eddy current" mil thickness instrument if you're interested in your actual issues maybe. A professional powder coater would/should have one.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-25-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:49 AM
wookieeikoow
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I can see where it certainly could become an issue but it certainly I would think could have been avoided by proper preparation of the knuckle before hand. Powder mil thicknesses can vary widely and are certainly much thicker than a typical "solvent" based application.

You've got the knuckle, the hub and the ABS sensor so I'd think you only need to acquire the proper measuring devices, learn how to use them and maybe the proper way to prep a part for powder.

If it were an issue I would have thought a more appropriate post might have been that a certain mil thickness created an issue vs. your post.

You don't mention where the interference is so it's difficult to actually respond. Is the issue depth of the knuckle bore, diameter of the knuckle bore in relationship to the reluctor ring, both or WHAT?

This is a DIY project or a "for hire" project?

Find someone with an "eddy current" mil thickness instrument if you're interested in your actual issues maybe. A professional powder coater would/should have one.
Thanks for the response. Got a hold of another knuckle assembly and found the powder coat to be about .003" on a side. Swapping out the uncoated knuckle it was pretty obvious the problem was the tight tolerance between the gear and the cavity, housing it. Harbor Freight provided wire brushes and a few minutes with a drill motor to remove the coating from inside the cup, problem solved ! You are right about the prep for powder coating. Anyone powder coating steering knuckles must keep coating out of the cup. This is very much a DIY. I was surprised to find the gear ran so close to the cup walls. Thanks for taking the trouble to help.
G'

Get notified of new replies

To clearance between steering knuckle and wheel speed gear

Quick Reply: clearance between steering knuckle and wheel speed gear