C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Pinion hum with minimal leakage in 95 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 04:08 AM
Vet2Vette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinion hum with minimal leakage in 95 coupe

I have a hum which I'm relatively sure is coming from the Pinion.There is a slight but definite leakage from the pinion seal.
I just put new Nitto 555's on the car( NOT DR's), and the hum is louder at times, though it is still in the same speed range between 60 and 70 mph. Mostly it is quiet enough to barely feel and hear, but at times it roars.

There are no grinding sounds, and the car has been well maintained and driven with decent care, no racing or burn outs, or wrecks. Nothing else is leaking anywhere. I need to purchase a service Manual, but haven't been able to yet.
I once owned a 1972 LT1 with a 4 speed, and it developed the same sound from the rearend. I replaced the whole rearend, but am hoping that maybe I can replace simply a bearing and seal on the outer side without removing the entire differential and connecting pieces.
Is it possible?
It seems every one discusses the seals and pinion nut, and I understand those, but I'm wondering since the car has only 60,000 miles, if possibly the spacers could be slightly worn, If that could be possible, then maybe adjusting the pinion nut would stop the loose vibration before permanent damage is done to the bearing and race.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.Thanks

Quick Reply: Pinion hum with minimal leakage in 95 coupe