C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Best place to get weatherstrip kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 08:08 PM
avgjoe
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Best place to get weatherstrip kit?

I have an 88 and need to replace all the weatherstripping. A few years ago I bought new weatherstrip for around the rear glass (cheap on eBay) and in a year or so it came apart at the corner. Hoping for something better this time around. Suggestions?

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-27-2015, 09:26 PM
cigr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by avgjoe
I have an 88 and need to replace all the weatherstripping. A few years ago I bought new weatherstrip for around the rear glass (cheap on eBay) and in a year or so it came apart at the corner. Hoping for something better this time around. Suggestions?

Thanks for your help!
The stuff Wilcox sells is pretty nice and has a good reputation for holding up. Make sure you get the coupon codes they're always posting, as it's not cheap.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:41 AM
bley49
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought it from willcox with the 20off $373 shipped for full 84-90 coupe set have yet to install
Old 01-29-2015, 10:58 AM
cormorant71
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All the parts of the Willcox fit my '88 vert perfectly
Old 01-29-2015, 01:26 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by avgjoe

Thanks for your help!
I am pleased with the Wilcox hatch weatherstrip i installed 7 months ago. The quality seems good so far for the price.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:43 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Wilcox.

be sure to get the corvette-rubber stuff made in cadillac, michigan.

BTW: dont bother calling corvette-rubber direct if you think you can get a better price directly - you cant.

Wilcox has the best price on it.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:49 PM
dio45
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

listen to these guys. iv purchased the weather stripping found on ebay and although the fit was not bad the rubber was hard 11 month in and the still slamming doors. going to be replacing all weather stripping on my 94 next month with Willcox.

Last edited by dio45; 01-29-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:19 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I just 5 minutes ago ordered a complete kit for my 89 from Willcox, $365 shipped.

It is US made so it should be of better quality.

Now, to attempt it myself or let the local trim shop install it along with my windows, window sweeps and anti-rattle pads.

Rick
Old 02-01-2015, 10:23 AM
cigr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
I just 5 minutes ago ordered a complete kit for my 89 from Willcox, $365 shipped.

It is US made so it should be of better quality.

Now, to attempt it myself or let the local trim shop install it along with my windows, window sweeps and anti-rattle pads.

Rick
It's not difficult to install yourself. The hardest part is getting the old stuff out and the adhesive removed. I didn't use adhesive at all when I put the new stuff in, and it's working fine without it.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:03 PM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cigr
It's not difficult to install yourself. The hardest part is getting the old stuff out and the adhesive removed. I didn't use adhesive at all when I put the new stuff in, and it's working fine without it.
Yea, I've watched all the utoob videos and it certainly doesn't look like rocket surgery.

But since I'm taking it in for the windows/sweeps replacement I'll see how much more to do the weatherstripping. If it's not too bad, and his prices have been very reasonable so far, I'll just let him do it. That way he can adjust the windows and make sure everything's go and I can check weatherstripping off the list.

Rick

Last edited by shootnstarz; 02-01-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:47 PM
cormorant71
Racer

I made this tool out of a small scraper and it helped a lot in removing the old glue and weatherstripping. The tools I bought online were ok, but I made this to fit in the channel perfectly and i sharpened it on my grinder.

Name:  002.JPG
Views: 1655
Size:  89.5 KB
Chris
Old 02-04-2015, 06:55 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Well, got a quote of $400 labor to replace mine, ouch. The guy was so fair on the windows/sweeps ($150 for both sides) but I think that's a bit steep for weatherstripping.

So Now I have to decide, do it all myself, have him do the windows and sweeps and I do the weatherstripping or bite the bullet and pony up $550 for him to do it all and with his vast experience I'm sure it will be right the first time.

Replacing and adjusting the windows looks like the hardest issue. Anybody done theirs?

Rick
Old 02-04-2015, 07:42 AM
cormorant71
Racer

Well, got a quote of $400 labor to replace mine, ouch. The guy was so fair on the windows/sweeps ($150 for both sides) but I think that's a bit steep for weatherstripping.

So Now I have to decide, do it all myself, have him do the windows and sweeps and I do the weatherstripping or bite the bullet and pony up $550 for him to do it all and with his vast experience I'm sure it will be right the first time.

Replacing and adjusting the windows looks like the hardest issue. Anybody done theirs?

Rick
If he is replacing a lot of weatherstripping that is not too bad (just a little high) it can be a pretty labor intensive. The window sweeps are a real pain, go slow and be careful. To replace the outer window sweep you have to loosen the window guides. Only you know your skill level. Keep us up to date

C
Old 02-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

Rick
Sometimes writing the check is a whole lot easier than dealing with the headache.

Be prepared when replacing the outer window sweeps removing the door panel, drill out the existing rivets, curse, fiddle getting the new sweep clips to seat into the door, curse again and pop rivet the new ones back into place reinstall the panel. Then go to the other side of the car and repeat. After you curse some more doing it on the other door, you are all done and have an extra $150 in your pocket. Enjoy. I know I did.
The following users liked this post:
snlshow (10-20-2021)
Old 02-05-2015, 02:10 PM
cormorant71
Racer

Originally Posted by Ozzstar
Sometimes writing the check is a whole lot easier than dealing with the headache.

Be prepared when replacing the outer window sweeps removing the door panel, drill out the existing rivets, curse, fiddle getting the new sweep clips to seat into the door, curse again and pop rivet the new ones back into place reinstall the panel. Then go to the other side of the car and repeat. After you curse some more doing it on the other door, you are all done and have an extra $150 in your pocket. Enjoy. I know I did.
well said.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:43 PM
avgjoe
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the great advice. Just ordered a kit from Willcox. Using the 20% off promo it was $365 shipped. I had done the window sweeps before so now I will tackle the rest of it. Wish me luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Best place to get weatherstrip kit?

Quick Reply: Best place to get weatherstrip kit?