C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Scaled my car yesterday

Old 01-27-2015, 08:32 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Default Scaled my car yesterday

In my quest for nines, I had my chassis fabricator install a Pinto (yes, I know, Ford) steering rack over the past week. I have eliminated the power steering pump and lines. l'll be posting pictures soon. Anyway, I had my guy scale the car. The weight of the car w/o driver was 2920lbs. With me behind the wheel, it was 3101. That is with a chrome moly 5 pt rollbar and a 12 bolt rearend. The interesting thing, is that with me in the car, the front-back weight distribution was 1550 front and 1551 rear. Most drag cars are heavier in front. My car with the lighter front can transfer weight to the rear quicker and get scooting down the track. I've made some changes with the front shock also so the car should launch with the front end closer to earth and the car hopefully moving forward quicker. These launches look cool, but aren't necessarily the quickest way down the track. Willie

Last edited by 383vett; 01-27-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:17 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

OMG. I have removed weight everywhere I legally can and even went with Carbon Fiber hood. I'm still @ 3,040lbs. How much did you loose with removal of the power steering?
Old 01-27-2015, 09:21 PM
GS977
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

one of my favorite c4s on the forum!!! keep it up. dam, my 96 is a PIG!!! it was over 3400 lbs
Old 01-27-2015, 09:52 PM
383vett
Race Director

Originally Posted by GS977
one of my favorite c4s on the forum!!! keep it up. dam, my 96 is a PIG!!! it was over 3400 lbs
Thanks!

Originally Posted by l98tpi
OMG. I have removed weight everywhere I legally can and even went with Carbon Fiber hood. I'm still @ 3,040lbs. How much did you loose with removal of the power steering?
The power steering was just a handful of pounds. Over the years, I have been slowly lightening the car. I have no smog pump, or air conditioner or power steering pump. My bumpers are shells with no honeycomb or protection bars inside (drag race only). I have a Ron Davis drag race radiator. The car does still have horns, carpet, power windows/locks, radio, antenna and full interior. I did replace the seats with Kirkey aluminum drag race seats. Other than gutting the interior, there is not much left. I know someone on the forum has a 2300lb C4. Got a ways to go. I'm thinking of a lighter hood in the future.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:22 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 383vett
Thanks!

The power steering was just a handful of pounds. Over the years, I have been slowly lightening the car. I have no smog pump, or air conditioner or power steering pump. My bumpers are shells with no honeycomb or protection bars inside (drag race only). I have a Ron Davis drag race radiator. The car does still have horns, carpet, power windows/locks, radio, antenna and full interior. I did replace the seats with Kirkey aluminum drag race seats. Other than gutting the interior, there is not much left. I know someone on the forum has a 2300lb C4. Got a ways to go. I'm thinking of a lighter hood in the future.
I just got a CF Hood and am sending it to the body shop for painting. Should have it installed and functioning by late Feb. It saved about 45lbs net. I plan to post info on it once it is finished.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:48 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
In my quest for nines, I had my chassis fabricator install a Pinto (yes, I know, Ford) steering rack over the past week. I have eliminated the power steering pump and lines. l'll be posting pictures soon. Anyway, I had my guy scale the car. The weight of the car w/o driver was 2920lbs. With me behind the wheel, it was 3101. That is with a chrome moly 5 pt rollbar and a 12 bolt rearend. The interesting thing, is that with me in the car, the front-back weight distribution was 1550 front and 1551 rear. Most drag cars are heavier in front. My car with the lighter front can transfer weight to the rear quicker and get scooting down the track. I've made some changes with the front shock also so the car should launch with the front end closer to earth and the car hopefully moving forward quicker. These launches look cool, but aren't necessarily the quickest way down the track. Willie

Nice! What is just as amazing to me beyond how it runs, weighs, the times it pulls, etc. is the fact you are the original owner

It's amazing to me to think about the fact you bought a new, 1984 Vette back in 84 when those cars seemed like futuristic vehicles at the time and had the audacity to transform it to a track car, but not just a track car, a "drag" car being it is a Corvette; not originally a solid axle car one would think a transformation like this would normally shape into......I tip my hat to you. You and the car make an interesting story for me.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:35 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
Nice! It's amazing to me to think about the fact you bought a new, 1984 Vette back in 84 when those cars seemed like futuristic vehicles at the time and had the audacity to transform it to a track car, but not just a track car, a "drag" car being it is a Corvette; not originally a solid axle car one would think a transformation like this would normally shape into......I tip my hat to you. You and the car make an interesting story for me.
Add me to that list. You and your C4 are amazing!
Old 01-28-2015, 12:19 AM
383vett
Race Director

Thanks all. The cool members of this forum keep me going.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:52 AM
jake corvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

383vett -

Hey, you are one of the individuals whom I admire on this fourm. Your answers are correct and to the point - I always learn from reading them. Also, your car runs strong - that's an indication as to the time and effort which you've put into your car.

Hat's off to ya Bud! Good job and thanks for your continued contributiions!

Jake -
Old 01-28-2015, 07:10 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

darn sure a nice looking car!
Old 01-28-2015, 08:34 AM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 397 Likes on 261 Posts

That's what my 84 weighs as well.... 2900lbs empty and just over 3100lbs with me in it. I guess we are about the same as for interior... it looks like its all in there but its really not. I hope my chassis builder is done this week and I know how much weight I gained/lost with the new solid axle conversion.... I have to weigh 3150lbs next year.

I just fabricated up (2) 19lb weight bars to put on the front frame rails next to the radiator to try and get some front percentage in my car. I would have made them heavier but I couldn't make them any longer than 11" and still fit them up there. With my straight rear conversion I know it's going to leave even harder than before.

I would really like to see your pinto rack conversion. That is something I am thinking about taking on myself next year.
Will
Old 01-28-2015, 10:17 AM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

1st thing I did with my new 86 last spring was start getting rid of junk I don't need. I got my 86 down to 3280 with a full tank and my thick self, so it's under 3000 if I step out and I never race on a FT. There's a grain elevator right by me and they leave their scale on 24/7 so I check my cars any time I change something.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:38 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
That's what my 84 weighs as well.... 2900lbs empty and just over 3100lbs with me in it. I guess we are about the same as for interior... it looks like its all in there but its really not. I hope my chassis builder is done this week and I know how much weight I gained/lost with the new solid axle conversion.... I have to weigh 3150lbs next year.

I just fabricated up (2) 19lb weight bars to put on the front frame rails next to the radiator to try and get some front percentage in my car. I would have made them heavier but I couldn't make them any longer than 11" and still fit them up there. With my straight rear conversion I know it's going to leave even harder than before.

I would really like to see your pinto rack conversion. That is something I am thinking about taking on myself next year.
Will
why do you want to add weight? Especially on the front end????

Is there some kind of weight class you are trying to get into?

Dont you want the front end to lift up...? Seems like youd want to remove weight from the front?
Old 01-31-2015, 10:30 AM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

To keep the front end down, going up is not going forward.

edit: Squat, lift, flex, tire wrinkle are all things that rob forward motion. You only need what keeps the tires form spinning and anymore is a waste.

Last edited by BOOT77; 01-31-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:20 AM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 397 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
why do you want to add weight? Especially on the front end????

Is there some kind of weight class you are trying to get into?

Dont you want the front end to lift up...? Seems like youd want to remove weight from the front?
The more front percentage the more aggressive rear suspension geometry I can run, which hits the tire harder, and the more power I can put to it earlier in the run, without standing the car on the bumper.

The factory IRS has very aggressive geometry however it can't transmit but 50% to the tire... that's still enough to put my car on the bumper without using most of the front shock rebound and progressive nitrous control to limit it.*

By class rules I have to weigh 3150 once I remove the IRS and leaf spring. With the even weight percentages now I need to put as much of the additional mandated weight on the front as I can, so that I can use as much power as possible as early in the run as possible.
Will
Old 02-01-2015, 06:55 PM
red L98
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looking good , i'm borrowing a set of scales this week to get an idea where i stand as of right now .. This new small block i build is heavy and the after market case glide is also beefy. I'm hoping i'm no more than 2800 with driver "160lbs" myself. Every time i open the doors on the car makes me feel it's 3400 lbs lol

Get notified of new replies

To Scaled my car yesterday

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scaled my car yesterday