C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

where to buy genuine gm ignition parts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 06:51 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default where to buy genuine gm ignition parts?

Do i have to go to a dealer? I really havent had much luck finding the divorced coil im after (not the in distributor hei, i need small cap) i don't want remanned crap from auto zone that is "OEM" I mean either ac delco or genuine gm. I've hit another dead end with my ignition saga and want to try a genuine gm divorced coil and ignition control module in my brand new Msd 8366.

I've tried about everything else and talking with a Msd tech was the most useless thing ever. Basically his answer to my problem was I don't know. That was it. Not "you could try this or this" just simply I don't know. He tried to blame the problem on the Holley commander but when I explained it was disconnected and not controlling the timing he still didn't get why that would mean something on the ignition side was wrong.

With the O'Riley's coil the rpm signal with jump around and makes my analouge gauge bounce from 1000 to 2000. With the Msd coil there seems to be keeping a steady rpm but then there will be multiple sparks making the timing light read 10* and 90* sometimes in the 100* too making it impossible to set my base timing. I do not have a 6a unit connected either. I tried swapping the polarity but it didn't help. Tried remaking ground and power wires go directly to battery but didn't help...

It makes me worried that if I get a delco/gm unit and it works it might just be covering a problem that is going to rear its ugly head later.

Last edited by rithsleeper; 01-31-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:48 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

You can try gmpartsdirect.com
Old 01-31-2015, 10:00 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Have you tried rockauto? They carry many delco parts.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:16 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

AC Delco "professional" grade parts are not "genuine GM" parts. they are parts that are AC Delco labeled or packaged, but manufactured my vendors that meet some GM criteria as acceptable replacements. last year, I bought ACD "professional" upper and lower radiator hoses, and when I peeled off the ACD label, there was a NAPA label. the hoses were a good quality, and a perfect fit - just seems like false advertising. I just went through an ACD "professional" fuel pressure regulator that was junk (purchased from rockauto). as far as I know, genuine GM can only be had through a dealer parts department - you can't go by the packaging. the $2 oil filter that you buy at K-mart is not the same as the $6 filter you'll get from the dealer. K-mart - made in mexico, dealer - made in USA. same holds true for sparkplugs. $5 dealer plugs, made in USA, the same $1.50 plug purchased through summit racing, made in mexico. I guess, like anything in life, you get what you pay for. this is what happens when the bean counters are in charge.

Last edited by Joe C; 02-01-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:15 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 771 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
Do i have to go to a dealer? I really havent had much luck finding the divorced coil im after (not the in distributor hei, i need small cap) i don't want remanned crap from auto zone that is "OEM" I mean either ac delco or genuine gm. I've hit another dead end with my ignition saga and want to try a genuine gm divorced coil and ignition control module in my brand new Msd 8366.

I've tried about everything else and talking with a Msd tech was the most useless thing ever. Basically his answer to my problem was I don't know. That was it. Not "you could try this or this" just simply I don't know. He tried to blame the problem on the Holley commander but when I explained it was disconnected and not controlling the timing he still didn't get why that would mean something on the ignition side was wrong.

With the O'Riley's coil the rpm signal with jump around and makes my analouge gauge bounce from 1000 to 2000. With the Msd coil there seems to be keeping a steady rpm but then there will be multiple sparks making the timing light read 10* and 90* sometimes in the 100* too making it impossible to set my base timing. I do not have a 6a unit connected either. I tried swapping the polarity but it didn't help. Tried remaking ground and power wires go directly to battery but didn't help...

It makes me worried that if I get a delco/gm unit and it works it might just be covering a problem that is going to rear its ugly head later.
Some may poo-poo this suggestion, but I've gotten more than a few of my ignition parts at the junkyard. I have more confidence using 20 year old OEM ignition parts than I have using brand new parts store stuff (of indeterminate origin).

Joe C's comments above are correct. When GM sold off their components divisions (but retained the AC-Delco name rights) they started to ramp up their percentage of service parts bought from "non-traditional" sources. Some sources are top notch, while others are, shall we say, not. Unfortunately, some homework is now required on occasion.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:23 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think BWD electrical components are made in the USA. I have never had a problem with them. Most chain auto supply's carry them.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:29 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by HlhnEast
I think BWD electrical components are made in the USA. I have never had a problem with them. Most chain auto supply's carry them.
some BWD part's are very poorly made. PS most GM part's are now made elsewhere. and fail alot these days!! example, I purchased a GM ICM for my SSEi. This did not last 2 weeks. I had to warranty it. I installed my original spare not a problem going on 8 months now.

Fresh Find on the forums. BWD disaster.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ect-alert.html

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 02-03-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:46 PM
Wazzugar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this what your coil looks like?

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...920&cc=1031386

That's for a 94 C1500. I just bought an in cap Delphi for mine and it works great. The frame is painted which is nice. I also bought a module from AC Delco, it has the GM logo but it's just engraved into the top, the original has an embossed logo and paint dot. Seems to work OK. I doubt you have a module issue though. I also bought an AC Delco radio capacitor assembly that goes inside the distributor, it had translucent "dongfeng" wires, looks like lamp cord! Not happy about that. I'm always willing to pay more for higher quality, but a lot of times the quality parts just don't exist.

Get notified of new replies

To where to buy genuine gm ignition parts?

Quick Reply: where to buy genuine gm ignition parts?