C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

canister purge solenoid BBQ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 07:18 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

Default canister purge solenoid BBQ??

'93 LT1. I removed both hoses on the canister purge solenoid located on the right side of the intake manifold near the throttle body. They are both old and brittle.

1) Can the the small 4" hose that curves be purchased anywhere? It is 1/4" i.d. on the solenoid side and about 3/8" i.d on the throttle body side.

2) Removed the old 2' long hose 1/4" i.d. hose that goes from the purge solenoid to the plastic vacuum tube below the coolant tank. PROBLEM: I tilted the hose to look at the condition and about a teaspoon of what looks like tiny crumbs of black charcoal poured out. This must have been sucked out of the EVAC canister? From those with experience, now what could be the cause and solution.

Car runs fine, no check engine lights.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:51 PM
charliet615
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I believe Rock Auto might have it... www.rockauto.com Give them a try. Also you might check with vettetovette. They have a lot of used parts that might work.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:42 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

I pulled out the vapor canister and it is leaking charcoal out of both the inlet and outlet vacuum ports pretty badly. The purge solenoid valve located next to the intake manifold also had charcoal bits in it. I tested the solenoid and it is not functioning. Surprisingly there is/was no check engine light on. At least the ports on the purge solenoid valve are small and kept most of the black charcoal pebbles out of the throttle body (where the vacuum is delivered) and sucked into the engine cylinders.

Now i know why when removing the gas cap there was so MUCH gasoline pressure vapor released . The vapors had no place to vent due to the vacuum lines being clogged.

I ordered a new canister, purge valve and purge valve solenoid from Autozone, lifetime warranty on all of it. I am recording the repair for another fun project video on my Youtube Channel Ozzstar.

Last edited by Ozzstar; 02-08-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:35 PM
bill3730
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L98

Originally Posted by Ozzstar
I pulled out the vapor canister and it is leaking charcoal out of both the inlet and outlet vacuum ports pretty badly. The purge solenoid valve located next to the intake manifold also had charcoal bits in it. I tested the solenoid and it is not functioning. Surprisingly there is/was no check engine light on. At least the ports on the purge solenoid valve are small and kept most of the black charcoal pebbles out of the throttle body (where the vacuum is delivered) and sucked into the engine cylinders.

Now i know why when removing the gas cap there was so MUCH gasoline pressure vapor released . The vapors had no place to vent due to the vacuum lines being clogged.

I ordered a new canister, purge valve and purge valve solenoid from Autozone, lifetime warranty on all of it. I am recording the repair for another fun project video on my Youtube Channel Ozzstar.

I changed my canister and valves on my 87 and it ran better. It was screwing up my vac and I think the computer was compensating for this. Stopped having the gas fume smell and high pressure at fuel cap. There is a small hose close to fuel tank that can leak fumes if it is bad. Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To canister purge solenoid BBQ??

Quick Reply: canister purge solenoid BBQ??