C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

My opnion about k&n filter. No trust of it

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 09:50 PM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by 85orangecrusher
You are going to argue with a company the size of K&N? I run K&N in all my cars and trucks. It is a superior product and is run in all forms of racing around the world. I like the product and think it works great. That filter is K&N's bread and butter, opinions are like bumholes everybody has got on and some are clean and working properly and some are just plain stinky.
HA! Enjoy your filters!
Old 02-23-2015, 09:35 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
To each his own, but I find it better to just drop in a new paper filter each spring and be done with it...
^^
After using a K&N for several years, that has pretty much what I've come to, also.

Originally Posted by 85orangecrusher
You are going to argue with a company the size of K&N? I run K&N in all my cars and trucks. It is a superior product and is run in all forms of racing around the world. I like the product and think it works great. That filter is K&N's bread and butter, opinions are like bumholes everybody has got on and some are clean and working properly and some are just plain stinky.
Is that your opinion?
Old 02-23-2015, 11:03 AM
afgunn
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Christi@n
After 20000 mph with k&n filter in my other car dodge nitro 2.8 turbodiesel, one time cleaned and re oiled drop in k&n filter, i've decided to come back to the paper filter both dodge nitro and corvette.

Not just for the waste of time to clean it, but honestly i don't have a full trust of it.

Well yesterday I've picked up it from nitro and seen it against the light
There were holes, points of lights 1mm or less not by oil covered,

thought dust ( and aggressive dust Is off road ) is passing throught these holes.

To me oil on cotton gauze can stop dust is a ********, there's no oil where holes,
Other parts maybe, where all don't think in fact many test on web says that k&n filter had a poor filtration

I like to be quiet
x2!
Old 02-23-2015, 07:04 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Everything I understand about engine air filters boils down to this:
You can have either good filtration or high airflow, but not both.

Of course K&N air filters are used in racing... they allow less restricted airflow at the expense of filtration, and nobody will know the difference since racing engines don't run 100,000 miles without a rebuild. I want my vehicles to go as far as possible without having problems or wearing out, and the Corvette has good power with stock parts, so why would I mess with that? To get an extra "10 HP" at the possible expense of an early rebuild? No thanks.

Besides, additional airflow through the filter will only be felt at high RPM & WOT, and I just don't drive like that very often. Any driving under 90% of maximum power, the butterfly valve is the restricting factor in airflow to the engine.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:32 PM
afgunn
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DGXR
Everything I understand about engine air filters boils down to this:
You can have either good filtration or high airflow, but not both.

Of course K&N air filters are used in racing... they allow less restricted airflow at the expense of filtration, and nobody will know the difference since racing engines don't run 100,000 miles without a rebuild. I want my vehicles to go as far as possible without having problems or wearing out, and the Corvette has good power with stock parts, so why would I mess with that? To get an extra "10 HP" at the possible expense of an early rebuild? No thanks.

Besides, additional airflow through the filter will only be felt at high RPM & WOT, and I just don't drive like that very often. Any driving under 90% of maximum power, the butterfly valve is the restricting factor in airflow to the engine.
x10!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:56 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 205 Posts

Troll food.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:10 AM
HGUNHNTR
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Christi@n
After 20000 mph with k&n filter in my other car dodge nitro 2.8 turbodiesel, one time cleaned and re oiled drop in k&n filter, i've decided to come back to the paper filter both dodge nitro and corvette.

Not just for the waste of time to clean it, but honestly i don't have a full trust of it.

Well yesterday I've picked up it from nitro and seen it against the light
There were holes, points of lights 1mm or less not by oil covered,

thought dust ( and aggressive dust Is off road ) is passing throught these holes.

To me oil on cotton gauze can stop dust is a ********, there's no oil where holes,
Other parts maybe, where all don't think in fact many test on web says that k&n filter had a poor filtration

I like to be quiet
Yeah, 20,000 miles per hour is a little fast.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:44 AM
vl5150
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to test the theory, go to a motorcycle shop and get a paper pod filter and a K&N pod of the same size. Hook the pod filter to a vacuum cleaner where you can weigh the contents. Get a set amount of dirt and vacuum it up to see what winds up in the vacuum. Measure both and see who wins.

I use both depending on the application, but I make sure I run a fine mesh Outerwears pre filter on my ATV that gets used in dusty conditions.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:19 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by HGUNHNTR
Yeah, 20,000 miles per hour is a little fast.
Nitro is very bad😁but not so much
20000 miles however, was in mistake

Last edited by Christi@n; 02-24-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:08 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by vl5150
If you want to test the theory, go to a motorcycle shop and get a paper pod filter and a K&N pod of the same size. Hook the pod filter to a vacuum cleaner where you can weigh the contents. Get a set amount of dirt and vacuum it up to see what winds up in the vacuum. Measure both and see who wins.

I use both depending on the application, but I make sure I run a fine mesh Outerwears pre filter on my ATV that gets used in dusty conditions.
Have you ever done it? (The test?)
Old 04-01-2015, 05:26 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

I've replaced even 'vette k&n air filter with a new FRAM paper filter

What can I say about feels?

Sure k&n filter modify the exhaust fumes smell, with k&n seems nitro thinner smell, with paper filter no smell, (seems h2o vapor) well, this could modify the stoichiometric level

Also IMO vette is running best with paper filter, more torque more power,
Could be a little gain at high rpm with k&n filter, but at low rpm paper filter is better

Last edited by Christi@n; 04-01-2015 at 05:31 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:59 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Im kind of with orange crusher. Ive been using them for about 30 years. I think that if they caused engine damage theyd have been taken off the market years ago. With this sue happy world they would have died from being buried in paper work. Ive had motors go well over a 100k using them and after I sold them im sure a couple went that much again.

If its my jeep or a truck that's going to see lots of dust I use a prefilter but id do that if I was using a paper filter in those situations anyway. Many bash them without on bit of experience or proof that they have caused damage. By the way anyone that claims a filter of any kind increases or decrease hp without a dyno sheet is just talking out there !!!!! no way your going to feel a one or two hp change in your car. Sorry but your but isn't that sensitive.

Are they better then paper? Cant make that claim. theres enough difference in different brands of paper filters that im sure some filter better then a k&n and some worse. Like was said though I doubt those guys racing the Baja 500 are going to run a crappy air filter and take the chance of losing there motor. No race motors don't have to last a 100k but they do run at 5 times the rpm your car does going down the streat in conditions that can about mimic a sand storm. If that filter can handle the Baja it can handle the pavement my vette goes down. But I guess some here know more then the thousands of race car and truck drivers that used them and still do. Lots of engineers here and lots of guys who gave them a fair try before claiming to know the answer . there you go now all you old timers with your vast experience with air filters can bash me instead of orangecrusher. Amazing the knowledge that guys these days acquire before even the age of 25. the internet is amazing that way.

Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 04-01-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:32 AM
nolet2
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K/n

I just replaced my air filter with a new /k/n filter in my 88 corvette at first the car would not idle after 3 or 4 restarts it adled at 10000 rpms vs 5000 before and my distance i could travel dropped from 400km to 150km is this the norm or will it get better.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:06 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Default K&N vs Paper

There are two cases for the C4s here. The Cross-Fire has no MAF and the stock filter is both costly and hard to find (special order). A K&N serviced regularly makes a lot of sense for the '84s. The other years are more likely to have contaminated MAFs (if over oiled) and their flat panel filters are easier to get and the cost is much less. I used the K&N on the '84 and the paper panel filter on the '96. IMHO that is the most cost effective way to go.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:25 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

I have been using a K&N air filter on my 88 for the 20 years I have owned it, first year was paper. Never had a problem. I do punch this car. Lack of HP gives me confidence of control. Not knocking it though. I like my C4.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:08 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

I run the K&N on my 95 W/maf sensor, so far no issues.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:35 PM
MikeT 90 C4sixer
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have run K&N filters in all my vehicles for years....... Didnt really buy them for the hp increase......kinda like the fact i will never have to buy an air filter again....and they do get pricey. But my mechanic did mention that the filter oil can get into the MAF. My C4 and Cavalier do not have a MAF. Truck and Camaro do..... I have the cold air kit on my truck, and i run an outerwear pre-filter. Camaro is '88 IROC, modified, no issues. The MAF did fail on my once, but they just go bad and not likely due to the oil. You CAN actually clean the MAF........just saying.

Get notified of new replies

To My opnion about k&n filter. No trust of it

Old 04-12-2015, 08:45 AM
nolet2
Heel & Toe

I got out the air gun and blew out the filter as I was told it had 2 much oil I then dicinnected the battery for 5 mins..hooked back up and everything is good again.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:46 AM
nolet2
Heel & Toe

disconnected!
Old 04-12-2015, 06:38 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

I have run both K&N (and other similar brands) and the stock paper filters.

I don't see any difference in performance.

I have not had any problems with either.

To me the only advantage to the K&N is you don't have to buy new ones, just clean and re-oil. It would take a bunch of paper filters to equal the price of the K&N, so it will take a long time to reach the trade off point on costs.

On some cars there can be a better intake/air filter that only comes with a K&N (or similar). The other air intakes can be an improved performance over stock. (Such as a K&N triple/SLP claw, or on a C5 a Vararam or Blackwing, etc.) With these there is no option, but I have never had a problem with them.

Quick Reply: My opnion about k&n filter. No trust of it