C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Smoke coming from underneath

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 07:20 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Felpro intake gasket kit: MS96386

Valve covers are the same.

depending on mileage, you may want to consider removing the engine and doing all gaskets and seals... and washing everything down... it gets messy down there.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:43 PM
RRPVETTE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bogus
Felpro intake gasket kit: MS96386

Valve covers are the same.

depending on mileage, you may want to consider removing the engine and doing all gaskets and seals... and washing everything down... it gets messy down there.
I would but I can't afford to have her out of commission that long right now :/

Is that the off road gasket? Or just the full kit
Old 02-25-2015, 11:49 AM
RRPVETTE
Advanced

Nobody seems to answer the question of the off road gasket
Old 02-28-2015, 06:20 PM
RRPVETTE
Advanced

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
As you're driving it's probably leaking a bit more than idling, and when moving it's being blown back on the exhaust and that's from where the wonderful blue smoke is coming.

I had an embarrassing amount boiling out at stop lights before I added the Lucas Oil Stopleak.

Rick
Any issues wroth using the stopleak? I've heard some horror stories about that stuff gunking up a motor
Old 02-28-2015, 07:06 PM
8a8mfh
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RRPVETTE
Any issues wroth using the stopleak? I've heard some horror stories about that stuff gunking up a motor
How do you determine which thread about your oil leaks you post to? Is it random, or is there some other method?
Old 02-28-2015, 07:25 PM
RRPVETTE
Advanced

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
How do you determine which thread about your oil leaks you post to? Is it random, or is there some other method?
The only thread in which I am talking about leaks is this one. My others are about gaskets, cleaning the engine bay, restoring ride height, and spring codes. So what are you talking about?
Old 03-25-2015, 08:40 PM
RRPVETTE
Advanced

So an update, swapped out the valve cover gaskets and then cleaned up underneath her and it appears she is still leaking. Had some financial issues so haven't been able to do much else since then. I looked today after driving for an hour or so after noticed smoke rolling from the passenger side and the only place I see smoke originating from is off of the driver's side cat. Oil drips just inboard of that when it drips on the floor. Only a drop here and there when cold but when running or shortly after its a couple drops a minute it seems like. Does that narrow down my options at all?
Old 03-26-2015, 04:11 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

So here is something else to consider. It may not be an oil leak that is causing the smoke.....

If you are able to put the car up on a lift, check the exhaust and the cats and make sure that neither of the heat shields between the cats and the fiberglass foot well on both the driver and passenger side has come off.

Don't know if you have LT headers on your CE but this is more common with LT headers. The heat shield comes off and the heat from the cats begins to melt and burn the fiberglass footwell.

Just something to check and eliminate
Old 03-26-2015, 06:21 PM
RRPVETTE
Advanced

I will check that out. I got hooker shorties on her. I haven't had a chance to check up close but it looks like the inboard side of the mounting plate for the cat has oil on it.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:48 AM
RRPVETTE
Advanced

So I got minor seepage from a couple places but the reason for the smoke was from the filter adapter bolts needing to be retorqued
Old 04-08-2015, 10:55 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by RRPVETTE
So I got minor seepage from a couple places but the reason for the smoke was from the filter adapter bolts needing to be retorqued
glad there was a happy ending.

Quick Reply: Smoke coming from underneath