C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Smoke coming from underneath

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 07:52 AM
RRPVETTE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke coming from underneath

So I drive my CE a lot for work, about 100 miles a day m-f. I have about 30-45 mins of stop and go traffic in the evenings and while in that stop and go traffic I'll notice a lil bit of smoke coming out from underneath on the passenger side accompanied by this burning smell. I also notice a slightly fainter burning smell even without the smoke. It only seems to happen after driving for a bit and/or if it's warm outside. If it's really cold out then I don't see any smoke but I still get that odor. If I lid the hood then the smoke will reroute itself to the engine compartment. Now this smoke is not enough to envelop me or anything but it's still rather concerning. Ideas?
Old 02-18-2015, 08:09 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Oil leak?

Rick
Old 02-18-2015, 08:15 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Oil leak?

Rick[/QUOTE]

Old 02-18-2015, 08:36 AM
RRPVETTE
Advanced

That's the thing is that I rarely might get a drop or 2 on my carport but I just did an oil change (~4000 miles) and when I did it was maybe 3/4 a quart low. I would think that with this happening so regularly that I would have lost more oil than that if it was an oil leak causing it. Or am I wrong there?
Old 02-18-2015, 08:41 AM
8a8mfh
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its an oil or transmission fluid leak getting on the exhaust.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:04 AM
RRPVETTE
Advanced

Like I said though wouldn't there be a lot more fluid loss of that was the case?
Old 02-18-2015, 10:13 AM
Shag
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RRPVETTE
Like I said though wouldn't there be a lot more fluid loss of that was the case?
Not really. We are talking about drips. Put a piece of cardboard up underneath it for a few hours. Running and engine off. It will give you a good idea where it's coming from. Then jack that bad boy up and get busy. 👊
Old 02-18-2015, 10:57 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

As you're driving it's probably leaking a bit more than idling, and when moving it's being blown back on the exhaust and that's from where the wonderful blue smoke is coming.

I had an embarrassing amount boiling out at stop lights before I added the Lucas Oil Stopleak.

Rick
Old 02-18-2015, 11:31 AM
8a8mfh
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently repaired some oil leaks, my exhaust was caked with burnt oil. I think if it gets cooked onto the exhaust less will hit the ground.

As a test, when it's nice and hot turn it off and pull the dipstick out and let it drip on the exhaust manifold, it'll let you see how much smoke comes off one drip. Trans fluid puts out more smoke.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:53 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Oil leaking from the valve covers is my bet.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:13 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

The thing is.. an oil leak is more dangerous than a fuel leak, in this way. Fuel will hit a hot spot and evaporate quickly b4 catching fire. oil will dance and sizzle, getting hotter and hotter till IT CAN get hot enough to ignite. Of course we all know that fuel doesn't ignite..its the fumes that are dangerous, and that,is of course, more dangerous than oil but were talking about leaks/spills without an igniter.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:58 PM
RRPVETTE
Advanced

Ok so where are some common problem areas that are prone to leaks on a lt4 so I know where to start?
Old 02-18-2015, 08:29 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Ok so where are some common problem areas that are prone to leaks on a lt4 so I know where to start?
Valve covers, inlet manifold at the china walls "front or back" are the common places for oil leaks.
Do not forget the transmission, the rear seal is above the cat.
One drop on the exhaust makes quite a bit of smoke.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:56 PM
RRPVETTE
Advanced

Originally Posted by gerardvg
inlet manifold at the china walls "front or back"
Care to explain this?
Old 02-18-2015, 09:01 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

So, in trying to chase down a leak on my '95, I've replaced, oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, opti and water pump seals. There were small leaks from each of these places, and I still have a small leak. I have it narrowed down to rear main or intake. Going to do the intake first and hope that it isn't the main.
It is difficult to locate the source of small, slow drips. Also, it will take a while for the drip to cause a noticeable change in oil level. And, as said already, one small drop can cause a lot of smoke.
Lastly, after an oil change, I noticed a lot of smoke. Turned out that I didn't tighten the oil filter adequately.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:37 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
Its an oil or transmission fluid leak getting on the exhaust.
My 88 700R4 leaked onto the passenger side exhaust sometimes. It was a pump. Had to pull the 700R4 out for a rebuild. No more smoke.
I hope it is only a valve cover leak. Put a piece of cardboard under the area so you can see what color the leak is.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:58 PM
gdl2165
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 83 Posts

Care to explain this?
It's a term used for the front and rear ends of the intake manifold. I think it's because the top edges of the block look kind of like the great wall of China in the way they curve.

Another possibility for smoke and smell is if you ran over some plastic and it stuck to the exhaust. It can take quite a long time for it to burn completely off. I agree with the others though, it sounds more like an oil leak if it's been going on for more than maybe a couple weeks.

Get notified of new replies

To Smoke coming from underneath

Old 02-19-2015, 12:58 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

So I drive my CE a lot for work, about 100 miles a day m-f. I have about 30-45 mins of stop and go traffic in the evenings and while in that stop and go traffic I'll notice a lil bit of smoke coming out from underneath on the passenger side accompanied by this burning smell. I also notice a slightly fainter burning smell even without the smoke. It only seems to happen after driving for a bit and/or if it's warm outside. If it's really cold out then I don't see any smoke but I still get that odor. If I lid the hood then the smoke will reroute itself to the engine compartment. Now this smoke is not enough to envelop me or anything but it's still rather concerning. Ideas?
Places to check for oil leaks:
oil filter adapter bolts
oil filter
front cover seals...all three of them
front or rear edge of block where intake sits
oil pressure sender at back of block
oil pan drain plug
rear main seal

Get under car and wipe off any oil.
Idle engine for a good 20-30 minutes and if you can be careful and be SAFE, get under the engine and looks for drips. Going to be a bit warm under there though and very hot exhaust piping.

Should be able to get the leak determined.

Good luck.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:12 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

I didn't notice what the aroma is so here's one I've seen before. It's possible if the pipes are too close to have the exhaust cooking the body in one spot or other.
Not the first thought but it's possible and seems like all the leak points have been listed.

Good luck
Old 02-24-2015, 06:18 PM
RRPVETTE
Advanced

So I'm just going to do a full top end kit for the gaskets. I was going to just do it piece by piece but figured why not? Now the question is I seem to have issues finding part numbers for an lt4 gasket set. Also I've heard talk of an off road intake manifold gasket, what is the part number for this and is it worth it? Also any info on this subject as far as what's better for what and tips would be appreciated. And lastly any thoughts on a lower temp thermostat?

Quick Reply: Smoke coming from underneath