C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1.6 roller rockers on corvette LT1 engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 11:42 PM
Badmoonrisn
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.6 roller rockers on corvette LT1 engine

I have an opportunity to install a new set of Crane aluminum 1.6 ratio roller rockers on my LT1, has anyone done this upgrade, have any interference issues,etc... let me know your thoughts.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:33 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

The rockers may hit the oil drip tabs on the valve covers.
Just break them off - do a search if you are nervous about this.
I managed to get a small dremel cut off wheel in there and scored them where I wanted to break them off.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:18 AM
Polo Vert
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

I have considered doing this but haven't done it yet. From what info I gathered most guys recommend changing the valve springs when doing this.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:59 PM
8a8mfh
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Badmoonrisn
I have an opportunity to install a new set of Crane aluminum 1.6 ratio roller rockers on my LT1, has anyone done this upgrade, have any interference issues,etc... let me know your thoughts.
I put the cheaper Comp Magnum 1.6 rockers on my '93 LT1. My composite/plastic valve covers didn't have any kind of drip rails.

Make sure you get self aligning rockers unless you plan to or already had guide plates installed.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:55 AM
Jonnymac
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Easy job. I use the crane gold but you might want to upgrade your valve springs while your at it. Not so easy of a job.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:08 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

Nothing to support this....but I have also heard that the stock springs will not stand up to the change to a 1.6 RR. The suggestions were to always upgrade the springs when you change.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:27 PM
johnnymo63
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I did this upgrade and it's well worth the effort.
1. You do need self-aligning rockers.
2. You do need to trim or cut off the drip tabs inside the valve covers.
3. You should upgrade your valve springs to the LT4 springs. (only around $50)
4. New valve cover gaskets needed and I used the sealer called "The Right Stuff", available at Autozone.
5. Throw on a set of long-tube headers and get a dyno tune and you'll be smilin".
The following users liked this post:
yakmastermax (03-29-2023)
Old 03-01-2015, 07:03 PM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default horsepower

How much horsepower are you going to gain with the 1.6's?
Old 03-01-2015, 07:07 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

This is a easy quick & slight gain in performance.
1st what is your mileage. 1.6 RR will give you apprx .30 extra lift. Enough to stress out old springs. The LT4 beehives will help with the OE small lift, lower pressure seats.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:16 AM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnymo63
I did this upgrade and it's well worth the effort.
1. You do need self-aligning rockers.
2. You do need to trim or cut off the drip tabs inside the valve covers.
3. You should upgrade your valve springs to the LT4 springs. (only around $50)
4. New valve cover gaskets needed and I used the sealer called "The Right Stuff", available at Autozone.
5. Throw on a set of long-tube headers and get a dyno tune and you'll be smilin".
I've got Scorpion 1.6, self-aligning Rollers... bought them from Summit Racing. Also, I swapped out the stock valve springs for LT4's for two reasons: they're oblong so they won't bind (lower height) and, they're good for another couple of hundred RPM. Changing out the valve springs just requires some compressed air and a spark plug hole air inlet. And, someone who knows what they're doing. Most decent, SBC mechanics should be familiar with the process.

The difference was noticeable... immediately! GREAT mod for the LT1! I haven't added headers, I did, however, go for muffler eliminators to free up the exhaust flow. I also don't think the expense of a Dyno Tune is necessary. A decent Street Tune to set the AFR's, the shift RPM and reset the cooling fan parameters served me well.

One thing you'll probably notice is the valve train is a little noisier. It's normal with the 1.6 roller rocker upgrade.

Have fun... It's well worth the effort.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:36 AM
chevy4x4vt
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrDyno
I've got Scorpion 1.6, self-aligning Rollers... bought them from Summit Racing. Also, I swapped out the stock valve springs for LT4's for two reasons: they're oblong so they won't bind (lower height) and, they're good for another couple of hundred RPM. Changing out the valve springs just requires some compressed air and a spark plug hole air inlet. And, someone who knows what they're doing. Most decent, SBC mechanics should be familiar with the process.

The difference was noticeable... immediately! GREAT mod for the LT1! I haven't added headers, I did, however, go for muffler eliminators to free up the exhaust flow. I also don't think the expense of a Dyno Tune is necessary. A decent Street Tune to set the AFR's, the shift RPM and reset the cooling fan parameters served me well.

One thing you'll probably notice is the valve train is a little noisier. It's normal with the 1.6 roller rocker upgrade.

Have fun... It's well worth the effort.
are you running stock valve covers? did you have to do any mods to valve covers to make the RRs fit?
Old 03-02-2015, 09:32 AM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by chevy4x4vt
are you running stock valve covers? did you have to do any mods to valve covers to make the RRs fit?
Yes, stock valve covers and, like Johnnymo63 said, above: "2. You do need to trim or cut off the drip tabs inside the valve covers." ...a simple process.

Here's a thread you should check out...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ra-advice.html

Last edited by DrDyno; 03-02-2015 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Added Link

Get notified of new replies

To 1.6 roller rockers on corvette LT1 engine

Quick Reply: 1.6 roller rockers on corvette LT1 engine