C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

TPIS Headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 11:18 AM
ClaudioC4
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default TPIS Headers

I just bought a set of used TPIS Headers and Y pipe (great price), for my 85.

Looking at the installation instructions on the TPIS site it mentions that it is a direct fit no alterations. But reading various posts on header installations I need to replace my starter with the smaller unit.

The question is do I need to replace or can I keep it?

Also, I could not fin an ARP part number for stock bolts for the exhaust manifold, when I replace them with the headers I want new hardware as well does anyone have a part number? I saw some at Corvette Central, would that be my best options.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2015, 11:37 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

I will never install headers again that are not ceramic coated. Thos, especially true with most 'new' cars that are built with so much underhood plastic.

A prime reason I went with an IMI (American made) mini-starter was to get more clearance from the exhaust due to hot start problems. It was part of, not the entire, cure.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:03 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Have to? no, i didn't on the 86 and its the same starter as 85. Its just very tight, and then prone to heat soaking, even with the ceramic coating.

I do still recommend that you change to the later starter though. After I swapped i was very happy with clearance, it fired up like a snap and had zero heat soak problems.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:11 PM
ClaudioC4
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by vader86
Have to? no, i didn't on the 86 and its the same starter as 85. Its just very tight, and then prone to heat soaking, even with the ceramic coating.

I do still recommend that you change to the later starter though. After I swapped i was very happy with clearance, it fired up like a snap and had zero heat soak problems.
How was wiring the new starter? Did you splice or just run a new wire also from a newer year?

Thanks again
Old 02-25-2015, 03:11 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

You can change the wire to the 88-91's wire, which is a little longer, or splice and solder the wires to the solenoid to make them extend long enough. I didn't have to do that. I have seen where others here over the years had to shim it to make it fit perfect, but I didn't have to do that either.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:49 PM
Vett1990
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaudioC4
I just bought a set of used TPIS Headers and Y pipe (great price), for my 85.

Looking at the installation instructions on the TPIS site it mentions that it is a direct fit no alterations. But reading various posts on header installations I need to replace my starter with the smaller unit.

The question is do I need to replace or can I keep it?

Also, I could not fin an ARP part number for stock bolts for the exhaust manifold, when I replace them with the headers I want new hardware as well does anyone have a part number? I saw some at Corvette Central, would that be my best options.

Thanks
First off the TPIS headers are very well built and coated, if you choose that option.

I have them on my '90 which may have a smaller starter then the '85. The headers should bolt up to your exciting setup, they can and will run very close to the right side X-brace but, they will clear.

If you don't have an MA exhaust law... you could think about changing things after the Y-pipe.. maybe open things up just a bit.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:37 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I installed TPiS headers on my 85 with the stock starter. They've been on there for 6 years now with no issues. As far as bolts go, I use the stock bolts where accessories attach. I use stainless allen bolts for all the rest. As I recall they were 3/8-16 x 2". I did wrap the starter wires and other wires that were close to the headers with heat tape.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:12 PM
rrt898
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Starter

Originally Posted by vader86

When you say swapped, Do you mean an after market mini starter or a stock starter from a 88-91? The later year starters are that much smaller?

thanks

Get notified of new replies

To TPIS Headers

Quick Reply: TPIS Headers