C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

fouling out the plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:11 PM
melvisR1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fouling out the plugs

My 85 keeps fouling out the plugs with raw fuel. My mechanic just installed new injectors, new fuel pump and new computer... No help, now he's replacing the enricher injector but thinks it's Okay...any ideas?
Old 03-04-2015, 09:30 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Is it fouling plugs in open or closed loop?

Could be a bad 02 sensor, coolest temp sensor..Needs to be hooked up to a computer to see what the problem is, this should always be the first step.......WW

Last edited by WW7; 03-04-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:07 PM
melvisR1
Cruising

Originally Posted by WW7
Is it fouling plugs in open or closed loop?

Could be a bad 02 sensor, coolest temp sensor..Needs to be hooked up to a computer to see what the problem is, this should always be the first step.......WW
have no idea about an open or closed loop, but will ask about this and the 02 sensor in the morning...thanks
Old 03-04-2015, 10:21 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Do you trust your mechanic?? It sounds like he's just throwing parts at the problem and not taking the right steps to find out what the problem really is....Why would he install a fuel pump, the fuel pump couldn't cause a rich condition. Unless the injectors are stuck open, it's very unlikely it's the injectors either. He could of tested to see if the injectors were leaking into the engine by just doing a leak down test..He's putting in very expensive parts (without testing) ,when it could end up being a $35.00 O2 sensor....If he hooked the car to a scanner he could get a better idea of what the problem is, and save you a ton of money...WW

Last edited by WW7; 03-05-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:15 AM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by WW7
Do you trust your mechanic?? It sounds like he's just throwing parts at the problem and not taking the right steps to find out what the problem really is....Why would he install a fuel pump, the fuel pump couldn't cause a rich condition. Unless the injectors are stuck open, it's very unlikely it's the injectors either. He could of tested to see if the injectors were leaking into the engine by just doing a leak down test..He's putting in very expensive parts (without testing) ,when it could end up being a $35.00 O2 sensor....If he hooked the car to a scanner he could get a better idea of what the problem is, and save you a ton of money...WW
Is the car driven mostly in short trips?
Old 03-05-2015, 03:11 PM
melvisR1
Cruising

Default trust mechanic?

Originally Posted by WW7
WW7, i do trust the mechanic and you, the local corvette club (CRCC) and i feel that he is just throwing parts and my money at the car. because of the extreme heat here in the desert and the lack of use (39K miles) he sees a lot of fuel pump failures. i had bought the injectors pryer to him getting the car. he told me he thought the injectors might be the problem and he would install, but would not charge me installation if that wasn't the problem. he has been doing leak down test. on my way to check (pun intended) with him and about the loop and 02 sensors, thanks melvis
Old 03-05-2015, 03:21 PM
melvisR1
Cruising

Default short trips?

Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
Is the car driven mostly in short trips?
We just bought the car 3 months ago so know little about it. the car has only 39K miles so must assume alot of short trips. lady was the only owner, but she let here methhead convict son use the car. car was running on about 4 cylinders when we got it started and the oil was totally black. changed the oil and replaced the spark plugs and fuel filter before we drove off with it. 60 miles later it fouled out after we just barely made it home. been in the shop since, miss it big time...lol
Old 03-07-2015, 12:44 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Check the Chip

From the thread info it sounds like you have not had the car for long and don't have a history. Is the chip the right (stock) one for the car or is it a "Hot Rod" job from long ago? Some of the hop up chips were not wonderful. It would not hurt to check the chip is stock if the O2 and the coolant temp sensor (the one that feeds the computer, not the one for the gauges) both check out ok. I'd be tempted to throw a coolant temp sensor at it anyway, the one in it now is likely to be 30 years old.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:13 AM
melvisR1
Cruising

Originally Posted by 1984Z51auto
From the thread info it sounds like you have not had the car for long and don't have a history. Is the chip the right (stock) one for the car or is it a "Hot Rod" job from long ago? Some of the hop up chips were not wonderful. It would not hurt to check the chip is stock if the O2 and the coolant temp sensor (the one that feeds the computer, not the one for the gauges) both check out ok. I'd be tempted to throw a coolant temp sensor at it anyway, the one in it now is likely to be 30 years old.
thanks, i'll give this info to my mechanic and let you all know what happens...
Old 03-22-2015, 12:29 PM
melvisR1
Cruising

thank you everyone for your input and suggestions...the good news; mechanic has got the car running just fine...the bad news; the car will not shift out of first gear and acts like it is going into neutral. have mentioned this on another thread and have gotten (i believe) some good information concerning that problem...still looking forward to not only owning a Corvette but to actually driving one...lol
Old 03-22-2015, 02:55 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

So,what was the problem , why was it fouling the plugs??....WW

Get notified of new replies

To fouling out the plugs

Quick Reply: fouling out the plugs