C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Ignition switch or cylinder help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 08:31 PM
Captaintim
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition switch or cylinder help needed!

In a nut shell I can't program a key fob because the system doesn't recognize the key is still in the ignition and cancels the programming sequence for the pke system. I came to a conclusive decision when after setting off the alarm horn blowing with key in the ignition I can start the engine and doesn't turn off the alarm I have to use door key to shut system off. Door chime doesn't chime with key in ignition either. Do I need to replace repair ignition (key cylinder) or ignition switch on column? 1993 Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited by Captaintim; 03-05-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:02 AM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 435 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Captaintim
In a nut shell I can't program a key fob because the system doesn't recognize the key is still in the ignition and cancels the programming sequence for the pke system. I came to a conclusive decision when after setting off the alarm horn blowing with key in the ignition I can start the engine and doesn't turn off the alarm I have to use door key to shut system off. Door chime doesn't chime with key in ignition either. Do I need to replace repair ignition (key cylinder) or ignition switch on column? 1993 Any ideas? Thanks.

I find it kind of odd that it will allow the car to start ( accepts the key) but you say not when programming PKE.

I dont want to be a stick in the mud but I think you might be missing something in your Programming procedure, I know when I replaced my fobs I too was about to go NUTS from it not going as it should. also are you getting the procedure from a FACTORY manual, I would not totally trust many other source's.

I finally got it to work when I had someone read the procedure from the manual giving my full attention to the buttons and bringing the fobs in range,( one at a time ) also remember to do procedure away from other fobs, and that may include some of the newer smart keys that have there own transmitters.

Good Luck

Last edited by s carter; 03-06-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:47 PM
Captaintim
Intermediate

I have tried for the last year to program the fob. The failure is the last step when the
PKE light comes on and you turn the key to the off position and the light should flash noting the system is in program mode, my light goes out when you turn the key to the off position not removed I exit the car shut the door to go get the fob the doors lock horn beeps (alarm set) no pke light flash. reach in unlock door the alarm goes off horn honking with Key still in ignition it will start with alarm still going off.
Remove key turn door lock with door key to shut off the system.
The manual states to cancel the alarm use door key or put ignition key in cylinder.
That part is where the failure is. It does not recognize the key. I really dont think the alarm should set with key in ignition and its setting by going through the programming steps. I just dont know why. Thanks
Old 03-06-2015, 04:15 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

I have tried for the last year to program the fob. The failure is the last step when the
PKE light comes on and you turn the key to the off position and the light should flash noting the system is in program mode, my light goes out when you turn the key to the off position not removed I exit the car shut the door to go get the fob the doors lock horn beeps (alarm set) no pke light flash. reach in unlock door the alarm goes off horn honking with Key still in ignition it will start with alarm still going off.
The manual states to cancel the alarm use door key or put ignition key in cylinder.
That part is where the failure is. It does not recognize the key. I really dont think the alarm should set with key in ignition and its setting by going through the programming steps. I just dont know why. Thanks

I don't remember closing the door but when I brought each fob in range it flashed a few times brought next one in range same thing again. took it out of range retrieved my key beep. grabbed a fob walked to the unlocked hit the hatch button it opened.

also the manual states you have 2 minutes to do the programing.

Last edited by s carter; 03-06-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:27 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

have you had a dealer try to straighten out your problem? Or quote you to fix it.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:09 PM
Captaintim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
have you had a dealer try to straighten out your problem? Or quote you to fix it.
No I haven't found anybody familiar with programming the fob. When shopping for the fob the dealer said they had to program it to work for $60.00 They didn't have a clue.
I'll figure it out one day.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:36 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

No I haven't found anybody familiar with programming the fob. When shopping for the fob the dealer said they had to program it to work for $60.00 They didn't have a clue.
I'll figure it out one day.
I don't want to sound sarcastic here but when I got my new fobs they didn't come with Batteries.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:55 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

When the key is in the ignition, does the chime module make a sound when the door is opened? It should "ding" to let you know the key is in the ignition so you won't lock your keys in the car.

It sounds like your ignition cylinder key detect switch is not working.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:14 AM
Captaintim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
When the key is in the ignition, does the chime module make a sound when the door is opened? It should "ding" to let you know the key is in the ignition so you won't lock your keys in the car.

It sounds like your ignition cylinder key detect switch is not working.
Exactly the problem. Any ideas how to fix or replace? Would removing the lock cylinder clean and reassemble help or am I looking at removing the steering wheel? The chime only comes on with lights on and car off no key or seat belt reminder. As mentioned previously setting of the alarm putting key in ignition will not disarm the horn blowing and car will start diffidently doesn't recognize the key physically in cylinder but allows car to run.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:32 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

May be a silly question but does a 93 have the VATs system? If so, what about getting a VATs bypass and hook it up to the car temporarily. That may be the missing piece if everything else is working properly.

Just a random thought.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:13 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

I wouldn't think either BUT I'd do some diagnostics first to determine possibilities rather than just a WAG attempt.

Do you have a FSM?

I don't have a '93 and the CCM is different from a '94 but all else about the PKE is the same, ie. antenna, transmitters and receiver. In 9K of the FSM there's diagnostics that can be done using the DIC interface. Is there for a '93? I have no idea but I might look there first.

The diagnostic tree is pretty straight forward.

I'm inclined to believe you likely can't do the diagnostics for the '93 using the DIC and it was likely made accessible when the ALDL went to the later configuration. I would certainly see where the information in the 9K section might take you.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-07-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:31 PM
Captaintim
Intermediate

I still think it's as simple as key not recognized in ignition switch and i feel it's isolated at the wheel just don't know how to fix.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:32 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

I still think it's as simple as key not recognized in ignition switch and i feel it's isolated at the wheel just don't know how to fix.
you could do what a lazy friend of mine did buy the replacement lock cylinder stick a spare key for your car with right chip value into the new cylinder it won't turn but will read, plug new cylinder into vats harness. if all works get out the tools and install.

And the friend is LAZY because to this day if he wants to activate his VATS protection he pulls the other hidden key from by his knee

Last edited by s carter; 04-25-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:40 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by s carter
you could do what a lazy friend of mine did buy the replacement lock cylinder stick a spare key for your car with right chip value into the new cylinder it won't turn but will read, if all works get out the tools and install.

And the friend is LAZY because to this day if he wants to activate his VATS protection he pulls the other hidden key from by his knee
Flea bay sell a set of resistors all fifteen for a few bucks and info how to use them

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition switch or cylinder help needed!

Quick Reply: Ignition switch or cylinder help needed!