C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Problem with CRC A-pillar weatherstrip

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 09:14 PM
colter
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Problem with CRC A-pillar weatherstrip

Had to replace the OEM latex A-pillar weatherstrip. Got the CRC.

Got the A-pillar weatherstrip installed and set the top on the car. And with the top sitting on the car, the front lip of the top had a little less than 1/4" of a gap. Pressing down on the top by hand didn't totally get rid of the gap.

Only way to get rid of the gap, was to tighten the top down and crank it down tight.

Last edited by colter; 03-09-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:27 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

You want the latex weatherstrip. It is softer and will seal better. It will conform to your door,window,top etc. NOT the other way around like with the hard rubber crap that's out there.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:41 PM
colter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dt86
You want the latex weatherstrip. It is softer and will seal better. It will conform to your door,window,top etc. NOT the other way around like with the hard rubber crap that's out there.
What brands offer the latex that are good quality and fit good? I still have OEM latex on the targa, B-pillar, and doors.

I've read of some aftermarket C4 latex stuff being junk i.e. falling apart in a short amount of time. Also read of aftermarket latex sticking to the top, and then ripping when the top was later removed.

I went with CRC because read a lot here using that. But also read of people having to crank their top down with aftermarket stuff. Was hoping to not have that problem with CRC.

You shouldn't be having to crank these tops down just to get the top to make full contact with the weatherstripping. Tightening the top down is to help it seal and keep the top from flying off, not to close off a gap.

I have read of people putting on new weatherstripping, then having to crank down the top. And then the top cracking shortly after.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:04 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Originally Posted by colter
What brands offer the latex that are good quality and fit good? I still have OEM latex on the targa, B-pillar, and doors. I've read of some aftermarket C4 latex stuff being junk i.e. falling apart in a short amount of time. Also read of aftermarket latex sticking to the top, and then ripping when the top was later removed. I went with CRC because read a lot here using that. But also read of people having to crank their top down with aftermarket stuff. Was hoping to not have that problem with CRC. You shouldn't be having to crank these tops down just to get the top to make full contact with the weatherstripping. Tightening the top down is to help it seal and keep the top from flying off, not to close off a gap. I have read of people putting on new weatherstripping, then having to crank down the top. And then the top cracking shortly after.
My latex b-pillar is from Lonestar caliper co. The latex door mains I got from ecklers. My rear hatch is from wilcox(I'm not really worried about things aligning here). You really need to stay away from the imported stuff. Even buying well known brand weatherstrip is sometimes a crap shoot it seems. A year or two ago there was a bad batch of latex out there.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:13 PM
colter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dt86
My latex b-pillar is from Lonestar caliper co. The latex door mains I got from ecklers. My rear hatch is from wilcox(I'm not really worried about things aligning here). You really need to stay away from the imported stuff. Even buying well known brand weatherstrip is sometimes a crap shoot it seems. A year or two ago there was a bad batch of latex out there.
What are you using for the A-pillar?

I do believe CRC is USA made. But maybe others using CRC thinks it's normal to have to crank things down.

Problem with cranking it down to close off say a 1/4" gap, is that there is no further room to adjust if you have a water leak or being able to reduce pressure. Other risk is your top later cracking due to the unnecessary pressure being placed on the top to close off a gap.

Last edited by colter; 03-07-2015 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:02 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Originally Posted by colter
What are you using for the A-pillar? I do believe CRC is USA made. But maybe others using CRC thinks it's normal to have to crank things down. Problem with cranking it down to close off a 1/2" gap, is that there is no further room to adjust if you have a water leak or being able to reduce pressure. Other risk is your top later cracking due to the unnecessary pressure being placed on the top to close off a gap.
I didn't have to replace my a-pillar, yet. But I would get a latex from any reputable company. If you have to crank it down then it is either too thick or too hard. Or both!
Old 03-10-2015, 09:00 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

I have been happy with the Latex piece I got form Keen Parts.. It is the A pillar as well

Get notified of new replies

To Problem with CRC A-pillar weatherstrip

Quick Reply: Problem with CRC A-pillar weatherstrip