C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'Hatch Ajar' light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 08:45 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,020 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default 'Hatch Ajar' light stays on

Installed an EZ Vent hatch vent today, took a couple minutes for me to make the hook catch it, but i eventually got the hang of it. But it came out one time going down the road, i immediately stopped, but my mom got out and slammed on the rear hatch several times to make it click. I got out and fixed it so that the 'ajar' light would turn off by moving the post extension down just a tad.

Now after removing the vent and closing the hatch the 'hatch ajar' light stays on. But if i press down on the hatch it cuts off.

What to do about it? Do i disconnect the sensor, obviously its not making the connection in its current position. :confused:
Old 08-10-2002, 09:16 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: 'Hatch Ajar' light stays on (vader86)

I found it's easy to bend the hatch ajar sw, especially with the hatch vent installed.

Finally I had to put a cap on top of the sw plunger so the hatch prong could activate the sw.
Old 08-10-2002, 09:49 PM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 'Hatch Ajar' light stays on (65Z01)

I had the same thing happen to me a couple weeks ago when I received my ez-vent. I removed the rear trim, then put about 10 layers of electrical tape on top of the switch after I removed and cleaned it. I then wrapped the switch with tape so the layers I put on top wouldn't fall off. Worked like a charm.

When I had the trim off today for cleaning, I took a look at the switch and everything is just as I left it. I use my ez-vent everyday, and love it.

J :seeya
Old 08-10-2002, 10:06 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,020 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I pushed the button in there and the 'ajar' light went out, but the stock post just isnt making a connection with it. So thats actually a switch in there?

How do you replace the switch, is it easy after you remove the trim? How much and where to buy?

Or should i figure out some way to lengthen the stock post so that it makes contact. Any other ideas for a quick fix?

Is this gonna set off my alarm in the middle of the night tonight, it hasnt gone off yet.

[Modified by vader86, 9:12 PM 8/10/2002]

[Modified by vader86, 9:14 PM 8/10/2002]
Old 08-11-2002, 11:12 AM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

I found that my hatch vent post was too long. It would push the switch too far in so when it was removed, the hatch ajar stayed on,as well as the interior light. I ended up grinding down the hatch vent post so it was the same size as the factory hatch. The switch has a small plastic button on top that sort of resembles those mushroom-shaped door panel retainers, you can pop it up or push it in the switch to compensate for the length of the pin.

Get notified of new replies

To 'Hatch Ajar' light stays on

Quick Reply: 'Hatch Ajar' light stays on