C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Large amp draw when car off

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 11:10 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by phat87
Rain is a bummer! Very hard to get motivated when there ain't no Sun. Many people here are pullin' for ya, and dyeing to know the out come.

You are the embodiment of tenacity!
yes Crowz u can beat this gremlin! cheering u on from Calgary Canada where we are wallowing in low oil prices.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:28 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

If mother nature doesn't take me and the car out I will win this one eventually

Its hailed again since I post this movie earlier today in another thread.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:19 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Ok its been awhile but the weather has been great lately so Im back at it hunting the drain.

Ive actually made some progress.

Turns out I had multiple things draining the battery. The strange part is the drainage being similar in amps.

Ok first one is the power antenna. Disconnected the relay to solve that one.

Second on is a bad blower control module. Ordered one of those and waiting on it.

Still have 2 more things draining it as least from what I can tell so the hunt continues.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:57 PM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a '93 LT1 Anniversary Ruby six speed an C68 A/C. I am having very similar electrical problems. It is very frustrating. Put in a newer stock engine last summer and was working pretty good until I turned on the A/C and engine ran rough and would quit. I started car ok since last fall and same problem when I turned on headlights. Neighbor took a quick look today and the throttle cable was getting very hot as it maybe grounding itself out through it. Hopefully he can look at it more next week. I just had second hip surgery in six months and not able to get into all those contorted body positions to work on it!
Old 05-06-2015, 07:45 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Good luck with it. Finding shorts and draws is a pain.

So far my battery hasn't gone dead since I fixed the 2 things on it so far.

But Im still showing a draw testing it.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:13 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

*update*

Well I seem to of finally fixed my power drain.

The blower control module died causing the ac / heater blower motor to not come on. After replacing the module the draw seems to be gone. I imagine it was a combo of that and the other things I fixed but the module was the final piece of the puzzle.

I still leave the battery set to disconnected using the switch I added since that way there is no drain which is handy since the car sits for long periods of time.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:37 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by crowz
*update*

Well I seem to of finally fixed my power drain.

The blower control module died causing the ac / heater blower motor to not come on. After replacing the module the draw seems to be gone. I imagine it was a combo of that and the other things I fixed but the module was the final piece of the puzzle.

I still leave the battery set to disconnected using the switch I added since that way there is no drain which is handy since the car sits for long periods of time.
Good to hear you finally got it nailed. On the battery disconnect, I added one of those that fit between the cable and battery and have been using it. I do plan on upgrading to a Summit Racing 250 amp one as soon as I can get the wiring run: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-830050/overview/
Found the perfect spot to mount it ahead of the drivers side front wheel. Only thing left is to actually run the replacement negative cable to the block, but want to do it on my mechanics lift as I'm nervous about being under the car on jackstands.

Quick Reply: Large amp draw when car off