C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Want to lift my C4 suspension to a functional height

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 08:20 PM
EVLGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Just to throw this in the mix for thought.

My '96 was never lowered, however, I did let the shocks go a little too long, to about 140k. I would drive over any imperfection in the road and feel it. Bumps? Well, just say I had to reset my rearview mirror everytime.

I put a set of new Bilstein Z51 shocks on it and the difference was night and day. The old ones were so worn, the new ones actually raised the car a little. Point is, a worn out, sub-par shock on these cars can have a tremendous effect on many things.

I do agree that yours is sitting a little lower than I would want though.
My car has brand new shocks on it. They are only 8 months old. I believe they are some cheap Monroe shocks. Problem is the previous owner had the car slammed a month after the new shocks were installed. I'm hoping they will be good enough after I lift it back up. At least until I can get some Bilsteins.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:39 PM
EVLGTO
Burning Brakes

Back to stock. Front leaf had all rubbers wacked off and was pretty much destroyed. Shop hooked me up with a Z51 leaf and new hardware. New stock rear bolts and rubbers installed. The owner hooked me up for free with 3 used shocks just to get me going. Yes, the new shock that came with the car. 3 of them were broken. He told me the suspension was ready to fall apart soon.
The following users liked this post:
Conner Lake (03-29-2021)
Old 04-10-2015, 02:58 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

looks like you can actually drive that thing places now! I have heard that the kyb shocks are not half bad on these cars for the price. The Monroes are too soft, especially now that you have stiffer front spring.

How's the ride feel now?
Old 04-10-2015, 10:46 PM
EVLGTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mike100
looks like you can actually drive that thing places now! I have heard that the kyb shocks are not half bad on these cars for the price. The Monroes are too soft, especially now that you have stiffer front spring.

How's the ride feel now?
Haven't rode it Mike. I had it picked up. I was involved in a bad motorcycle accident last Sunday. I'm bed ridden for the new 3 weeks in the hospital.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:33 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by EVLGTO
Haven't rode it Mike. I had it picked up. I was involved in a bad motorcycle accident last Sunday. I'm bed ridden for the new 3 weeks in the hospital.
really! get better asap.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:54 PM
EVLGTO
Burning Brakes

Been home for a few days now thank God. Hospitals suck!!! Ended up being there 3 weeks!

Anyway, I'll be at the Plastic Fantastic Corvette show next month and picking up some super low mileage rear KYB shocks for next to nothing from a member I'll be meeting at the show. I'll just buy the front KYB shocks new. Then once I'm able to walk, i'll install them all.

Quick Reply: Want to lift my C4 suspension to a functional height