C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

30% ethanol gas and our C4's

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 12:59 AM
Sam Ruger
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 30% ethanol gas and our C4's

Some of you may not know it but Federal law requires, beginning (already) in 2015, that US gasoline reach 30% ethanol by 2022 (or maybe 2023). The EPA delayed increasing ethanol in our gas this year but it must, eventually, obey the law.

I'm told engines can be made to run on this stuff by adding fuel regulators. So can we do that? Is there such a regulator available? I figure somebody must own a Chevy 350 in Brazil.

If not, what do we do when, we're looking at the gas pump in the very near future and it says: CONTAINS UP TO 15% ETHANOL?

Close our eyes, turn our heads, and pump away?
Old 03-24-2015, 01:13 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Shouldn't be much longer till ethanol will be history. That poison had no biz in gas to start with.

As for 30%? Isnt going to happen. Mpg on everything running gas would be so low its just not feasible.

Also ethanol content this year is down from previous years because of changes put in place from the drop in oil prices. Even on the ones showing may contain up to x %. That % is lower now. Google it.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:15 AM
Sam Ruger
Instructor

And for those who think I'm making this up:

http://www.epa.gov/oms/fuels/renewablefuels/

And it is E15 fuel. The reason it was first delayed in 2013 was that it would actually destroy the pumps of the gas stations pumping it, plus every lawnmower and marine engine using it. The current reason for the 2015 delay is that it's use voids all manufacturer car warranties as it destroys fuel pumps.

Sure makes you want to put that stuff in your C4, doesn't it?

Meanwhile, ethanol producers have the right to sue the EPA for not implementing the Federal law as required.

Last edited by Sam Ruger; 03-24-2015 at 01:35 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:09 AM
Sam Ruger
Instructor

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by crowz
Shouldn't be much longer till ethanol will be history. That poison had no biz in gas to start with.

As for 30%? Isnt going to happen. Mpg on everything running gas would be so low its just not feasible.

Also ethanol content this year is down from previous years because of changes put in place from the drop in oil prices. Even on the ones showing may contain up to x %. That % is lower now. Google it.
Well! I certainly won't argue that ethanol is about as successful as a solar cell at midnight.

The 30% figure comes from the Federal law mandating cellullisic ethanol exceed corn ethanol by 2:1. Corn ethanol was virtually 10% in 2014 and, by Federal law, corn ethanol must be still be in our gas too and by the same amount as before. The only way to meet both laws is with 30% ethanol gas. Google the law. 36 billion gallons of this crappola has to be mixed with our gas.

E85 gas proves you're right on mpg plus ethanol raises the price of gasoline. So we pay more to get less plus the repair bills. You're dead right that ethanol needs to go away. Plus it takes 1.3 gallons of ethanol and 1600 gallons of water to make one gallon of ethanol. Who can't do that math?

I followed your suggestion and Googled it but failed to find where ethanol is falling in gas. I did find where it was increasing in 2014.

For lurkers, even ethanol producers admit E15 will destroy 25% of the cars in America (and I'm certain ours fall in that 25%). Since I'll be buying my gas from marinas and carrying it up 5 gallons at a time from the docks if this actually happens, I was wondering if somebody had a fall back plan besides putting our cars on blocks?

Keep in mind that Brazil actually did this by law too but, unlike the US, they can adjust their blend at the fuel pump (Sadly, proof that even Brazil has smarter politicians than we have.). It would not surprise me at all if the idiots we elected required we add sugar to our gasoline.

Last edited by Sam Ruger; 03-24-2015 at 02:12 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:06 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Try searching oil companies free pass ethanol

Right now they are being allowed to reduce the output and the law repealing the requirement altogether is getting closer and closer to passing.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:04 AM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

The Historic Vehicle Association maintains a map showing gas stations that still sell pure gas. Looks like there are a few stations in Washington, hopefully one is close to you.

http://www.historicvehicle.org/Resou...s/Pure-Gas-Map

That map does not show all the stations that still sell pure gas. There is one in my area that is not on the map. I'm going to get the address of the station and let HVA know about it.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:20 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

With so many older vehicles on the road in our country, which would essentially be destroyed by E30, forcing E30 onto the public would cause too much backlash. Not gonna happen, not for another 20+ years anyway.

Originally Posted by Sam Ruger
(Sadly, proof that even Brazil has smarter politicians than we have.). It would not surprise me at all if the idiots we elected required we add sugar to our gasoline.
Most of our politicians are driving new cars, provided by the taxpayers. So they have very little personal incentive to oppose ethanol. But that doesn't mean a proposal to mandate E30 will pass into law before 2035.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:05 PM
Pyro4117
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DGXR
With so many older vehicles on the road in our country, which would essentially be destroyed by E30, forcing E30 onto the public would cause too much backlash. Not gonna happen, not for another 20+ years anyway.
Have you listened to most politicians anymore? Or most of the general public for that matter? They would consider getting those (our) older vehicles off the road a 'feature, not a bug'.

After repairs to my pressure washer (due to the effects of ethanol in the fuel), the repair shop referred me to a gas station on one of the local reservations which has ethanol-free pumps.

Unfortunately, 87 octane is the only choice, so I can fuel my 'Vette up there, but will still need to use an octane booster - for as long as that can still be sold legally.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:39 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 489 Likes on 372 Posts

we just came through Pocahontas Arkansas this past weekend and they had a few non ethanol stations with 93 octane.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:13 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Funny thing about ethanol free fuel in FL is its about a buck more than E10. Seems a little out of proportion to me. Its also not legal if I understand correctly for "on the road" use. Marine engines and small engines only.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:43 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Don't sweat it...yet....

If and when it comes to actually happening, there will be a market for an industry to make a product that will be an acceptable work around. Don't sweat it yet and for what its worth, send a letter your your congress and senate persons to vote against it. Thats about all you can do at this point.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:23 PM
Pyro4117
Advanced

Originally Posted by HlhnEast
Funny thing about ethanol free fuel in FL is its about a buck more than E10. Seems a little out of proportion to me. Its also not legal if I understand correctly for "on the road" use. Marine engines and small engines only.
The price difference at this station is only $0.20/gallon.

I'm also pretty sure that at least once or twice I may have bent other 'on the road' statutes with my Corvette...
Old 03-26-2015, 04:14 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Embrace it with open arms, more ethanol = more detonation-free horsepower (with the proper equipment and tuning)
Old 03-26-2015, 04:22 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Some of you may not know it but Federal law requires, beginning (already) in 2015, that US gasoline reach 30% ethanol by 2022 (or maybe 2023). The EPA delayed increasing ethanol in our gas this year but it must, eventually, obey the law.

I'm told engines can be made to run on this stuff by adding fuel regulators. So can we do that? Is there such a regulator available? I figure somebody must own a Chevy 350 in Brazil.

If not, what do we do when, we're looking at the gas pump in the very near future and it says: CONTAINS UP TO 15% ETHANOL?

Close our eyes, turn our heads, and pump away?
Sam, check the PNW section of the forum. There have been several posts about this topic. There are a number of stations around our area that sell ethanol free gas.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:47 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Around here, you can get non-alcohol gas for small engines and collector cars. Costs about $1.00 per gallon more than gasohol blend. No alcohol is definitely better than alcohol blend IMO and it's not available in all states.

I guess, such is life.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:49 PM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

might be the ticket for max power in turbo and blown cars and may even in extreme compression motors but most of us here drive our cars down the highway and don't need octane any greater then 93 and more then that actually hurts performance. That an you have to live with a about 20 percent worse gas mileage. I know the grand national crowd I used to hang with is big on E85 tunes for there cars. Problem with that is up here anyway every station doesn't have E85 and you can get stranded and have to use a different fuel and even with 93 octane you have to take out a lot of timing in a car tuned for e85 to run it safely along with the fact that fuel delivery is hard to regulate with the much bigger injectors you need to run e85. Bottom line is very few c4 guys are going to embrace it with open arms. Theres still stations here that sell ethanol free fuel but there hard to find like the ones the sell e85. Most of what here is the lower alcohol consentration fuels that aren't much good for either purposes.
Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Embrace it with open arms, more ethanol = more detonation-free horsepower (with the proper equipment and tuning)

Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 03-28-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:05 PM
Pyro4117
Advanced

And for those who think I'm making this up:

http://www.epa.gov/oms/fuels/renewablefuels/

And it is E15 fuel. The reason it was first delayed in 2013 was that it would actually destroy the pumps of the gas stations pumping it, plus every lawnmower and marine engine using it. The current reason for the 2015 delay is that it's use voids all manufacturer car warranties as it destroys fuel pumps.

Sure makes you want to put that stuff in your C4, doesn't it?

Meanwhile, ethanol producers have the right to sue the EPA for not implementing the Federal law as required.
Did a little more poking around, hopefully this may help with the situation somewhat...

EPA Admits Ethanol Damages Engines

…the EPA has now publicly confirmed that ethanol does cause serious damage the engines.

According to the EPA, ethanol impacts motor vehicles in two primary ways. First … ethanol leans the [air/fuel] ratio which can lead to increased exhaust gas temperatures and potentially increase deterioration of emission control hardware and performance over time, possibly causing catalyst failure.

Second, ethanol can cause materials compatibility issues, which may lead to other component failures. Ethanol has been known to wreak havoc on fuel systems, deteriorating plastic and silicone components such as hoses, fuel pumps and filters, gas tanks, and fuel injectors.

Among its other talents, ethanol also has the ability to etch aluminum and magnesium, as well as absorb moisture from the air, allowing a water/alcohol mixture in the fuel tank.
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news...engine-damage/
That last part may have one of the most significant impacts on us, at least those of us who leave our C4's parked for long periods of time - and those that have aluminum heads.

Ethanol also attracts and bonds with water from the air, and that water can separate out inside the tank due to phase separation. If your vehicle sits for long periods between use, the moisture settles to the bottom of the tank and can potentially clog in-tank pumps and filters. Damage is also possible in fuel lines, injectors, seals, gaskets, and valve seats...
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-e15-15096134/
Although I guess there are worse things than being told I need to drive the Corvette more!

Get notified of new replies

To 30% ethanol gas and our C4's

Old 04-01-2015, 02:22 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Pyro4117
That last part may have one of the most significant impacts on us, at least those of us who leave our C4's parked for long periods of time - and those that have aluminum heads.
I guess it's going to have a significant impact on just about every new car out there too... since the majority of them have aluminum heads and blocks.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:54 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

There are ethanol "treatment" products on the market, why isn't this used in gasoline?
We're already paying extra money in exchange for less energy content and more fuel system & engine damage.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:17 AM
HeavyLifter
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
Sam, check the PNW section of the forum. There have been several posts about this topic. There are a number of stations around our area that sell ethanol free gas.
Here's a good resource to find stations.

http://pure-gas.org

Quick Reply: 30% ethanol gas and our C4's