C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Adjustable fuel pressure regulator good or bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 02:00 PM
vetteOnTheRun
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Adjustable fuel pressure regulator good or bad

On my 383 build I am considering installing a adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Also the injectors will be 36lb with a 255lph fuel pump. My concern is will the stock rated fuel pressure regulator be at its max with this setup. In the past I seen some people discourage the use of a adjustable regulator because it can screw with the computer. BTW the engine is a 93 lt1. Please educate me lol. The engine is bored and stroked, stock head work with 1.6 rockers, 230/236 cam, 52mm Tb, ported intake and etc.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:22 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteOnTheRun
On my 383 build I am considering installing a adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Also the injectors will be 36lb with a 255lph fuel pump. My concern is will the stock rated fuel pressure regulator be at its max with this setup. In the past I seen some people discourage the use of a adjustable regulator because it can screw with the computer. BTW the engine is a 93 lt1. Please educate me lol. The engine is bored and stroked, stock head work with 1.6 rockers, 230/236 cam, 52mm Tb, ported intake and etc.
Who told you 36 lb injectors were what you needed??? You should get the adjustable regulator when you start modifying the engine ,you may need to make adjustments to get it running perfect...When I got my 383 , that and a bigger fuel pump were the first things my tuner had me replace..The person doing the tuning should be asked these same questions,they should know what works best... WW

Last edited by WW7; 03-26-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:07 PM
vetteOnTheRun
Racer

Originally Posted by WW7
Who told you 36 lb injectors were what you needed??? You should get the adjustable regulator when you start modifying the engine ,you may need to make adjustments to get it running perfect...When I got my 383 , that and a bigger fuel pump were the first things my tuner had me replace..The person doing the tuning should be asked these same questions,they should know what works best... WW
As far as the injectors I thought that the 30lb injectors might be running high on the duty cycle that's why I went with the 36lb. The engines mods listed above are already complete and the engine is on the engine stand. I still have the 30lb injectors. I don't get rid of anything until I know for sure. Finding a good local tuner and dyno might be an issue. Basic it really won't hurt to get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator?
Old 03-26-2015, 05:25 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

It won't hurt you to get one for tweaking after your tune is finished, no.

I would double and triple check the injector sizing, and run it by whomever plans to do your tuning, but 36 sounds about right, maybe on the big side, for that combination to me.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:27 PM
vetteOnTheRun
Racer

Originally Posted by vader86
It won't hurt you to get one for tweaking after your tune is finished, no.

I would double and triple check the injector sizing, and run it by whomever plans to do your tuning, but 36 sounds about right, maybe on the big side, for that combination to me.
No problem. I have both sets of injectors.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:31 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by vader86
36 sounds about right, maybe on the big side, for that combination to me.

A friend of mine has a 383 that has major mods and puts out a ton of power. He runs 32 lb injectors, which work well with his combination.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:16 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris

A friend of mine has a 383 that has major mods and puts out a ton of power. He runs 32 lb injectors, which work well with his combination.
Thats why I mentioned the injector size in my post..Im running a 383 with around 400 hp and Im using 24 lb injectors..The only guys I know using 36 lb injectors are heavily modified with big heads, running big intakes like superrams and big cams..I called Jon at fuel injector connection and told him how much power I would be making, he told me which size injectors I would need...WW

Last edited by WW7; 03-27-2015 at 05:22 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:16 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

adjustable fuel pressure regulators are great for adjusting fuel pressure !
Old 03-27-2015, 08:57 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

This is the same question I have. Go with the original regulator or go with adjustable? I have a 383 with the Hot Cam and a 52 mm TB and 1.6 rockers coupled with 32 lb injectors.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:20 AM
vetteOnTheRun
Racer

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:18 PM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

the standard regulator is fine if you have the standard setup and injectors,
if you have changed and modified the injection (different size injectors, pump etc) then spend the extra $100 - $200 to fit an adjustable regulator.
fuel pressure is extremely important for everything from idle to wide open throttle, so make sure you can set it exactly where it should be
Old 03-27-2015, 11:52 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by blackozvet
so make sure you can set it exactly where it should be
...And how do you know "exactly where it should be"?

When the ECM is in closed loop mode it will adjust the injector pulse width to get the AFR it is looking for. The fuel pressure is not a factor.

Fuel pressure affects the injector flow rate. It affects how the engine runs in open loop mode only. That would be when the engine is cold and at WOT.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:19 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
...And how do you know "exactly where it should be"?
When the ECM is in closed loop mode it will adjust the injector pulse width to get the AFR it is looking for. The fuel pressure is not a factor.
Fuel pressure affects the injector flow rate. It affects how the engine runs in open loop mode only. That would be when the engine is cold and at WOT.
thats a bit like saying, dont worry about setting your timing exactly where it should be, the computer will adjust it anyway !

fuel pressure is very important in an efi engine, so therefore you need a starting point, usually 43 psi.

we are talking about modified systems in modified engines, the discussion is, is an adjustable fuel pressure regulator good or bad ?

I would guarantee that most people here with modified engines and efi (particularly if they track their car) will have adjustable regulators, and know exactly where their fuel pressure is set. I doubt if you asked some of these guys, what do you set your fuel pressure at for street and track, their answer would be, gee I dont know it doesnt really matter coz the computer adjusts it anyway !
"exactly where it should be" is where you set it for your preferred setup, and if it alters then you will know that a problem is developing somewhere and your performance wont be as good as it could be.

Get notified of new replies

To Adjustable fuel pressure regulator good or bad

Quick Reply: Adjustable fuel pressure regulator good or bad