C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Starting a BIG project on my C4....

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 09:36 PM
MikeT 90 C4sixer
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Starting a BIG project on my C4....

finally got the courage to start some work on my '90 C4. She has been sleeping nicely in the garage this winter, and needs some TLC. I need to replace the heater core. It is not hooked up, bypassed when i got it 2 years ago. so i am just assuming it is bad. will also replace the heater hoses as well. And while i am at it, i want to do some work on the Bose radio system. Has a pos Alpine system, with some Pioneer speakers. I have all of the original Bose hardware, but i need to get all checked out. I know at least one rear amp is blown.
As for the heater core, yes i have searched on the subject. I have a FSM, and i am planning on removing the upper trim pad. This job does not have to be done very quickly, so i have some time to work on it. It wont be fun for sure, but i have a positive attitude about it. I will be looking for help online for sure.
Thanks!
Old 03-31-2015, 07:58 PM
MikeT 90 C4sixer
Racer

Well i got the upper trim pad removed, wasnt that bad. Also quite a bit of the interior panels. Got the radio out (aftermarket) and the CDM box. That was easy with the trim panel removed! Still have lots of "stuff" to get to the heater core. Also finding lots of things that are not "normal" to what it came with......
Old 03-31-2015, 09:58 PM
MickPB
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeT 90 C4sixer
Well i got the upper trim pad removed, wasnt that bad. Also quite a bit of the interior panels. Got the radio out (aftermarket) and the CDM box. That was easy with the trim panel removed! Still have lots of "stuff" to get to the heater core. Also finding lots of things that are not "normal" to what it came with......
Sounds like things are going well. You may hit a bump or too but keep going. I'd suggest that you check out the vacuum hoses while you are in there too
Old 04-01-2015, 07:44 PM
MikeT 90 C4sixer
Racer

Well thanks for the tip. I will be looking at all things under the dash, and fixing anything i can. Not afraid to spend $ and time on my baby. So i have made a little more progress, and want to post a picture of what i am looking at. My FSM is tricky on how to understand all the items that have to be removed. I think i read somewhere on the forums that this plastic support piece has to come out. as in drilling out the rivets on the left. Now I do have the lower knee bolster brace out, and some other things, but this large center plastic section looks trickey. Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2015, 07:49 PM
MikeT 90 C4sixer
Racer

Well i got the little bugger out of my car today. Wish i had better instructions. Shop manual pictures kinda showed that you were taking the entire heater case out. Not so, just half of it. And there were 5 screws holding it together. Broke one screw tab off trying to force it, and cracked the case. Just have to patch it up. Also, did not have to pull the main air distribution duct, but did pull the smaller air defroster tubing, that goes across the front of the case. Basically unbolted everything in the area! Hope i can get it all back together!
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Starting a BIG project on my C4....

Quick Reply: Starting a BIG project on my C4....