C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1992, engine runs at low temperature

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 05:19 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by lucarvette
It is an LT1. The former owner told me that he replaced the intake manifold.

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/attachme...p-imag0192-jpg
Old 03-30-2015, 05:25 PM
lucarvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Christi@n
Its okay

I've just said to remove it to get acces to the t stat housing, then re-put it on Throttle body and air cleaner house, after t stat replacing

P.S. (As Throttle body intake i meant rubber hose from air clenar to Throttle body) hope its correct therm, intake manifold is another thing, it is immediately after throttle body,

Wait for someone that confirm this therms

Intak

Thank you for your suggestion. How hard is to access the thermostat? Does any body have instructions that I could follow?
Old 03-30-2015, 05:40 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Thank you for your suggestion. How hard is to access the thermostat? Does any body have instructions that I could follow?
No difficulties to get access on it..

Follow this simply steps

Be sure to have in hand the proper t stat is a little bit different from 1992 and 1995 model, your should be provided with a gasket( so you will need two parts t stat and gasket) mine is without gasket

1.Remove intake hose (from air cleaner to throttle body) two big clamps with flat screws....

2.remove rubber hose from t stat housing to discharge a little of coolant far away from optispark, to avoid any damage on it....

3. As you can see in the pic that i've posted, there is the t stat housing, below throttle body, top of water pump, remove the two bolts with socket

I dont remeber size at the moment.could be 1/4" or 9/16" or 7mm or 8mm, something like that, remove tb housing and you will have in hand t stat,

4. Replace it, re assembly all not neccesary to tight so much bolts on top of water pump, and remake the level, all say that lt1 coolant system is self purging, i prefer open blled valve when I add coolant on surge tank...

Think that all

Wait for other tips from some otherforum member
Old 03-30-2015, 11:40 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

For real? Did you look at the picture that Christi@n posted above??

Here, LOOK...

Drain coolant, Remove air duct from TB to Filter housing, there, staring you in the face is the T-Stat housing. Remove the two bolts holding the T-Stat housing on.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:52 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

You can access the two (thermostat housing) bolts without removing the throttle body! but you should remove the air intake Duct to Throttle body first..

When I did mine, I released a couple quarts of Antifreeze from the radiator drain Plug (Petcock) before Removing the thermostat..

Don't worry about the temp probes for now, most likely they are just fine.

Follow the red line in the photo, it points at the Tstat housing. The red circle is your ECT probe, for the digital temp readout.

Pack some rags under the water pump in order to keep the Opti dry, this is really important!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 1992, engine runs at low temperature