C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How to remove pipe plug in driver side head

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 06:05 PM
8a8mfh
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mako41
Well good for you! I wish I could have been as lucky!

You must really "know what your doing" much better than the rest of us here that have had this problem.

Oh that's right you were the guy that claimed that this hi tech method worked for you;
"I used the square end of a thread tap. With vicegrips on the threaded end"
Really?...... The wrong tool with the least turning force, but your plug came right out!!!
Did you try a screwdriver first? You should have played lotto that day!

Do you have anything meaningful to add to this discussion?
If not find someplace else to practice being an a**hole!

You can go away now!

My point......10 o'clock at night, no tool stores open. I came up with and idea and it worked.

You can get bent over by the snap on guy, have nice shiney proper tools in your hand and still can't get the job done. GO YOU
Old 03-30-2015, 11:10 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
yea I'll get right on that research.
My plug came right out after having not been touched in 22 years, guess you got to know what you're doing. Less internet time, more working on it.

My point......10 o'clock at night, no tool stores open. I came up with and idea and it worked.

You can get bent over by the snap on guy, have nice shiney proper tools in your hand and still can't get the job done. GO YOU
Mocked the guy twice in one thread. What a man.
You must be perfect or never make mistakes.
Don't know how you stand reading problems that we, mere mortals, encounter.
Seriously, I hope you have been drinking or taking some sort of meds because if you're sober.......

Last edited by Silver96ce; 03-30-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:31 AM
luckydekko
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Lol Air tube wouldnt come off my old headers its a pos aluminum nut on there... Needed new headers anyways then bought one off of ebay as a replacement. I tried everything its not coming off...
Old 03-31-2015, 07:31 AM
8a8mfh
Racer

Originally Posted by Silver96ce
Mocked the guy twice in one thread. What a man.
You must be perfect or never make mistakes.
Don't know how you stand reading problems that we, mere mortals, encounter.
Seriously, I hope you have been drinking or taking some sort of meds because if you're sober.......
People take my posts too seriously. I assume they have thicker skin, yet people get all upset.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:29 AM
8a8mfh
Racer

Originally Posted by mako41
Do you have anything meaningful to add to this discussion?
I do actually.
So you have a plug flush with the head and rounded out. What's beating it loose with an air chisel going to do? You have nothing to grab onto even if it breaks free.

Or you could weld a bolt to it. Whats that going to do to the aluminum around it? Nothing good. Theres not enough room to make a strong enough weld anyway.

You need to drill it out to the NPT tap size drill, then file or cut through it and collapse it. This way you're pulling it out of the thread instead of turning it and ripping it out.

And if you can't access it to do this in the car you need to remove the head.

The one thing that never works is talking about it on a forum and getting 20 different ways to do it. You need to pick one and go get the plug out.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:30 AM
Silver96ce
Drifting

People take my posts too seriously. I assume they have thicker skin, yet people get all upset.
Nah, I think you take yourself too seriously. Sarcastic, unfunny posts are still sarcastic, unfunny posts.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:29 AM
8a8mfh
Racer

Nah, I think you take yourself too seriously. Sarcastic, unfunny posts are still sarcastic, unfunny posts.
Not meant to be funny.
Sometimes you poke at someone the right way it can motivate them.

I love it when people post pictures and prove me wrong. How they did something another way and it worked.
IT WORKED. On the other hand threads like this too often end with "my mechanic has it now".
Old 03-31-2015, 10:48 AM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Not meant to be funny.
Sometimes you poke at someone the right way it can motivate them.

I love it when people post pictures and prove me wrong. How they did something another way and it worked.
IT WORKED. On the other hand threads like this too often end with "my mechanic has it now".
Now I have heard it all - you do it to motivate them. Sure you do.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:06 PM
8a8mfh
Racer

Now I have heard it all - you do it to motivate them. Sure you do.
What do you have to contribute to getting the plug out?
Nothing? Just trying to police the forum.
Your mechanic does all your work right.....
Old 03-31-2015, 01:31 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

What do you have to contribute to getting the plug out?
Nothing? Just trying to police the forum.
Your mechanic does all your work right.....
Hey good try. I've been doing my own work to my (and friends and family) cars, motorcycles, homes, etc. for over 40 years. He had already gotten good advice here. Me, I would've already pulled the head before this point. I don't think he wants to do that. And you - you used the square end of a tap? - pure, dumb luck it came out- if it happened at all.

As for you, all sound and fury, you're the guy at the BBQ or party that knows everything and makes sure that everyone there knows it. "...I built a house once with just a fork and spoon for tools. I was so impressed with 'em I used 'em to restore a '55 Chevy. " - yeah, that kind of guy.

P.S. Don't take it too seriously, I'm just trying to motivate you to be nicer. Have to have a thick skin and all that someone said.

Last edited by Silver96ce; 03-31-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:56 PM
8a8mfh
Racer

Hey good try. I've been doing my own work to my (and friends and family) cars, motorcycles, homes, etc. for over 40 years. He had already gotten good advice here. Me, I would've already pulled the head before this point. I don't think he wants to do that. And you - you used the square end of a tap? - pure, dumb luck it came out- if it happened at all.

As for you, all sound and fury, you're the guy at the BBQ or party that knows everything and makes sure that everyone there knows it. "...I built a house once with just a fork and spoon for tools. I was so impressed with 'em I used 'em to restore a '55 Chevy. " - yeah, that kind of guy.

P.S. Don't take it too seriously, I'm just trying to motivate you to be nicer. Have to have a thick skin and all that someone said.
Yea, mine came out with a tap and vise grips. I got the job done with an odd size tool I likely would have never used for it's intended purpose. I was surprised and relieved that I didn't have to fight it.

And you're very wrong about my personality. I don't talk much. I have had a ton of luck doing things people say can't be done. And I cannot stand it when a friend or someone tells others about things I've done.

I'm just a guy who works on his own stuff with experience and knowledge I got from people who are now long gone, older people. And I have a natural ability to figure a lot of things out.

If we had a corvette forum party theres not one person on here that would recognize me.

Maybe I can't express myself on a forum, I just want to hear that the guy got the damn plug out. If he was my friend there would be a lot less talking about it and more working on it. That's the frustration.

So go ahead, you have the last word, that's what your intent is.

Yea I'm so perfect....look I have no edited post on the bottom.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:59 PM
8a8mfh
Racer

Hey good try. I've been doing my own work to my (and friends and family) cars, motorcycles, homes, etc. for over 40 years. He had already gotten good advice here. Me, I would've already pulled the head before this point..
I forgot, thanks for the resume. Why won't you explain how you'd get the plug out. Or say something that has anything about this thread other than me.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:29 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Yea, mine came out with a tap and vise grips. I got the job done with an odd size tool I likely would have never used for it's intended purpose. I was surprised and relieved that I didn't have to fight it.

And you're very wrong about my personality. I don't talk much. I have had a ton of luck doing things people say can't be done. And I cannot stand it when a friend or someone tells others about things I've done.

I'm just a guy who works on his own stuff with experience and knowledge I got from people who are now long gone, older people. And I have a natural ability to figure a lot of things out.

If we had a corvette forum party theres not one person on here that would recognize me.

Maybe I can't express myself on a forum, I just want to hear that the guy got the damn plug out. If he was my friend there would be a lot less talking about it and more working on it. That's the frustration.

So go ahead, you have the last word, that's what your intent is.

Yea I'm so perfect....look I have no edited post on the bottom.
I forgot, thanks for the resume. Why won't you explain how you'd get the plug out. Or say something that has anything about this thread other than me.
Me, I'm not upset at all with your attacks. But it seems I got your attention. You keep coming back at me. Bothers you, doesn't it. And what you posted before toward the OP was mean and sarcastic. Instead of admitting it, you get hostile towards me. Do you see the pattern now? Think about that next when you go to press "submit reply".

And according to you, you're a swell guy and humble friend. Read your posts - you don't sound that way.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:53 PM
8a8mfh
Racer

You keep coming back at me. Do you see the pattern now?
Yes I do. You're in this thread to give me ****. You have no technical advice available. You'd take the head of and let your mechanic remove the plug.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:22 PM
8a8mfh
Racer

I feel it better to send you a private message at this point. I kept giving you an out but you keep coming back with more insults. At any time you could have proven that you were an adult but instead you act like a teenager. You know that you're insulting and sarcastic. Instead of owning up to it and moving on, you attack as a means of deflection away from the real issue. And I understand why you claim you are quiet in face to face meetings, parties, public, etc. - you have absolutely no social skills.

Try acting as you did in this thread with someone you have just met face-to-face. See how well that goes for you. In all probability, you'll get cursed out and that person will do anything to avoid you in the future.
So how would you remove the plug? The one in the cylinder head, not the one up your ***.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:34 PM
8a8mfh
Racer

Call me whatever you want. I can remove a cylinder head plug WHEN I want to. Not when the tool store opens. And I don't have to talk about it for weeks on the internet.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:38 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

So how would you remove the plug? The one in the cylinder head, not the one up your ***.

As I said before I would take the head off at this point since the plug is already partially buggered up. On the bench I would try to get it out by heating it up and using the proper pipe plug socket. Failing that I would be inclined to drill it and try an EZ out or slowly increase the size of the drill bit until I get very close to the threads then use a tap. But I would also give thought to forgetting the project for now.

As for you - no matter what you don't get it. I pm'ed you to take the argument out of the thread. If you wanted to continue it in a reply pm that would have been fine. Instead you post the pm, reinforce my pretty accurate description of you and up the ante in the process.

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove pipe plug in driver side head

Old 03-31-2015, 06:33 PM
8a8mfh
Racer

As I said before I would take the head off at this point since the plug is already partially buggered up. On the bench I would try to get it out by heating it up and using the proper pipe plug socket. Failing that I would be inclined to drill it and try an EZ out or slowly increase the size of the drill bit until I get very close to the threads then use a tap. But I would also give thought to forgetting the project for now.
I'd forget the plug at this point and use one of the inline ports shown earlier in the thread.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:54 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

You could also weld in a grade 8 bolt that has been cut short so the head is about 1/4" space under the head of the bolt to the plug. The heat will help loosen the threads. OH...don't forget to disconnect the battery before welding!

Before this, I would put a mixture of 50% Acetone and 50% trans fluid mixed o the plug to penetrate the threads. I would put this on at half hour intervals and leave over night. Then weld in the bolt and have at it.

Last edited by John A. Marker; 03-31-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:11 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 540 Likes on 348 Posts

If it is in there that tight and you have rounded off the plug, rap it a few times with a blunt air chisel to vibrate the threads. Then obtain some industrial apoxy and cast in a grade 8 bolt that has the end squared so it won't turn. Some of these epoxies are harder than steel.

Quick Reply: How to remove pipe plug in driver side head