C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT-1 car exhaust hangers

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 11:26 AM
project C4
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Default LT-1 car exhaust hangers

looks to be the correct spot but just making sure. '86 car and installing an LT-1 exhaust system.
it this where this hanger belongs and does it go towards the front like this or towards rear of the car on the other side of the control arm. It can go on either side.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:29 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe they attach to the differential support bracket. There are two bolts that run through it that line up with the bracket on each hanger. The ones I have have a bolt with a stud on the end. You remove the old bolt, replace it with the new one and the hanger slides over the studs. I'll take some pictures tomorrow to show you what I mean. Don't be afraid to remind me either.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:42 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

These are the bolts. You can see they have studs on the ends. The problem I had was removing the old ones. The leaf spring was in the way.
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by scooter mcfly:
Bill Chase (05-17-2021), yakmastermax (12-01-2022)
Old 03-30-2015, 06:09 AM
project C4
Pro

Great info Phil, Thank you ! The picture I have shown is from the front side or drive shaft side of the diff. is this the correct side ? If so it looks like all I will need to do is slide it over the bolts like it is in the picture and put some nuts on it.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:57 AM
scooter mcfly
Racer

I guess that will depend on where the exhaust pipes are gonna hang. Are you installing lt-1 exhaust system? On my car the bolts slide out to the rear. I'll take a pic later. Actually, you can hang them wherever you're able to. Lt-1 pipes will have the bracket that attaches to those hangers already welded on. So the stock locations are easiest. You'll see when I get a pic for you.

Later, Phil
Old 03-30-2015, 08:38 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Here's the pic I promised. The bolts in question are the silver ones on either side of the exhaust pipes. If you look closely, you can see how the spring crosses in front of the two top bolts. Your car may be different(mine is an 87). The nut holding them on is on the other side. Might need to lower the spring on each side to get it out. 59 FT LBS on that nut. Do you have a FSM? Can send pics from mine if you don't.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:40 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Oops. Pic didn't upload. So, here's another try.
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2015, 09:16 PM
project C4
Pro

Perfect ! that is exactly what I needed to know. it looks like they mount on the back side of the diff. Thank you Phil, you are a great help.

Get notified of new replies

To LT-1 car exhaust hangers

Quick Reply: LT-1 car exhaust hangers