C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Nu-Bee LT4 clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 08:51 PM
rickg56
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nu-Bee LT4 clutch question

New guy here.
Bought a '96 LT4 with 93k miles, clutch slips in high gear when ya give 'er the gas. I've worked on my own cars for 40-something years, not an "expert", but have been on the buissness end of a wrench a time or 2 (and make my living as a machinist). So, I am familiar with a bad clutch. Have been reading thru the countless threads on this dual mass flywheel till my head spins.
I see there's a few work arounds, in the worst case scenerio that my flywheel is toast, to go to a "standard" flywheel. So, here's a simple question:
anyone used this kit?

http://www.phoenixfriction.com/p-409...lt4-11-in.aspx

Not REAL concerned if the componants will last another 93k miles. I read here alot of the made-in-china crap is crap, and assume for this price, that's what this kit probably has. But I broke the bank just buying this car, and just need to make it roadworthy for a couple years. I just want to make sure this kit is actually plug-n-play as advertised.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:09 PM
rickg56
Heel & Toe

Hmmm....also found this
http://www.powertorquesystems.com/Co...dDetailDMF.htm
Old 03-29-2015, 10:36 PM
rickg56
Heel & Toe

aw, heck. Nevermind. I'll figure this out.
How do ya delete a post on this forum?
Old 03-31-2015, 08:29 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Jim at Power Torque has a wealth of information.

And don't delete this thread.

The aftermarket is full of garbage right now. Everyone is using the same junk Chinese made pressure plate, as such, there is a dimensional problem from hell... And the bearings suck. LuK, for example, is trying to tell us that there is one clutch for the L98, LT1, LT4 AND LT5 now... that's a pile if I ever heard of it.

Converting to a single mass is the best solution.

More then likely, the pressure plate and bearing are still ok, Get a friction disk and a new SMFW and you should be ok.

There is one important facet, the DMFW was the final fine tune balance for the engine. Have the SMFW match balanced to the DMFW and then all should be spot on perfect!

Again, reach out to Jim. He will guide you down this road and he has many of the hard to get parts... except the damned DMFW itself... I am pretty sure I bought the last one from GM in July 2009. Took my parts guy 3 days to find one sitting in a warehouse in Nebraska, IIRC.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:57 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

If money's an issue, just do the minimum.

inspect the dual mass flywheel first; if there's no real damage, a lot of people just clean up the flywheel surface with a scotch brite pad on the end of a drill;

personally I would pull the flywheel and replace the rear main seal...but if it ain't leaking, you can skip this step;

likewise, if the pressure plate is okay, especially check it with a straight edge for warp, clean it with a scotch brite and reuse it.

if the throw out bearing hasn't been making any noise and feels smooth, reuse it.

that pretty much leaves replacing the clutch disc and pilot bearing.

And that should get you back on the road for a minimum cost.

However, plan , save for a comprehensive clutch job down the road.
When I did my LT4 I went with a Spec Stage 3 Plus clutch and lightweight billet steel flywheel; and I replaced everything....including hydraulics. Over $2K in parts; the cost of my own labor doing that SOB of a job? Priceless.

Get notified of new replies

To Nu-Bee LT4 clutch question

Quick Reply: Nu-Bee LT4 clutch question