C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

how do the aux fan relays work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 02:01 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Default how do the aux fan relays work?

my aux rad fan (front) on my 87 z52 was buzzining with the key in the on position. Strangely i have no blades but that is beside the point.

In trying to unplug the relay to stop the electric motor from buzzing i pulled the bottom of the relay out and im now looking at the relay internals.

thought i might be able to find out if the relay was working fine.

is the "on" position with the relay Circut "closed" or "open"??

Mine is "open" on the bench.

on a seperate note i need to sort out why my car has the motor but no blades?!

and perhaps my motor is toast in that it just buzzes.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:19 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

When you turn the key to run and the fan comes on or in your case buzzes you need to remove the plug on the coolant fan temp switch. If that doesn't stop it the relays bad or a wiring problem. If it does stop it replace the switch.

Its in the drivers side head behind the alternator between cylinders 1 and 3.

Last edited by crowz; 03-30-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:28 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

am i safe to drive it with the aux fan relay unplugged? its not even close to warm outside where i live. no ac.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:29 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

The aux fan is an option. Designed to assist cooling in extreme situations. So it will be no different than someone not having that option driving around.

So it shouldn't hurt anything. Heck you don't have any blades. Its not like its going to cool anything anyways

Last edited by crowz; 03-30-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:11 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
am i safe to drive it with the aux fan relay unplugged? its not even close to warm outside where i live. no ac.
You should be OK as long as the cooling system is in good shape. The Aux fan comes on at 228 degrees so if you don't see temps that high, disconnecting the green wire at the sensor will keep the fan from running

Unless something caused the fan blades to break off, there should be 4 small blades on it. Does the hub turn? Maybe the buzzing you hear is the motor trying to turn or it turns and is out of balance.

Try looking thru the C4 PArts For Sale section for a replacement aux fan. Try sending a PM to "See4Parts" or "Northern Corvette"; they both are supporting vendors and they deal with used parts.

The 1987 FSM Book 2 (Electrical Diagnosis) has test procedures for the Aux Fan.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:21 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

the aux fan blows on the a/c condenser so I don't know how much "cooling" it does anyway...a grounded switch to the green wire from the relay to the fan will turn it on when ever you want....assuming the relay is ok....I grounded both my fans with a 3 way switch so I can turn one or both on....since I put in a lower t stat, never see temps in the 200's anyway...even in s florida in traffic....
Old 03-31-2015, 11:25 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default aux fan temp sensor has been disconnected the while time.

think i found my problem.

i have no wire coming out of my sensor that supposedly controls the aux fan???

I bought this car in September of last year and really have not had any time to do anything other than drive it because of been working on my red 85. so I never noticed this.

where is this wire supposed to come from that plugs into this temperature sensor? I will track down where it comes from and see if I can find it dangling somewhere.

where does the wire that supposed to plug into this water temperature sensor for the auxiliary cooling fan come from?
Old 03-31-2015, 01:32 PM
Robert Perkins
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

think i found my problem.

i have no wire coming out of my sensor that supposedly controls the aux fan???

I bought this car in September of last year and really have not had any time to do anything other than drive it because of been working on my red 85. so I never noticed this.

where is this wire supposed to come from that plugs into this temperature sensor? I will track down where it comes from and see if I can find it dangling somewhere.

where does the wire that supposed to plug into this water temperature sensor for the auxiliary cooling fan come from?
Run a wire from the cooling sensor to pin F of the aux fan relay. When temp switch reaches its temp it will provide a ground to the aux fan relay and the fan will run. You will need to purchase a connector for the temp sensor or a knock sensor connector is also the same.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:03 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Robert Perkins
Run a wire from the cooling sensor to pin F of the aux fan relay. When temp switch reaches its temp it will provide a ground to the aux fan relay and the fan will run. You will need to purchase a connector for the temp sensor or a knock sensor connector is also the same.
thanks!

im guessing it was on all the time and i never noticed because i didnt hear the electric motor turn on. now the motor seems to have seized and i hear a buzz which drew my attention to it.

ill rnr the fan and motor and run the wire.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:15 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Well the scary part is whats making it come on if the wires undone?
Old 03-31-2015, 02:16 PM
Robert Perkins
Racer

thanks!

im guessing it was on all the time and i never noticed because i didnt hear the electric motor turn on. now the motor seems to have seized and i hear a buzz which drew my attention to it.

ill rnr the fan and motor and run the wire.
I forgot to add do not remove the existing wire to pin F of the relay just splice in the additional wilre. Look around maybe the wire is already there and tied back in the harness because the fan was bad.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:19 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

His fan is running without the wire on the switch so removing the current wire at least from something is his only choice Id imagine. Remember he's trying to stop it basically since its running all the time now.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:30 PM
Robert Perkins
Racer

Originally Posted by crowz
His fan is running without the wire on the switch so removing the current wire at least from something is his only choice Id imagine. Remember he's trying to stop it basically since its running all the time now.
That is true if all he wants to do is stop the fan from running. The system needs to be trouble shot to find the real problem. I was just telling him what the switch was for and how to connect. He could have a bad relay or the ECM could be bad since that is where the ground comes from to turn on the aux fan. To make this as simple as possible make sure relay is good, cut the wire from terminal F of relay and connect the temp switch to pin F. This will elimenate the ECM and will turn on the aux fan when the temp reaches 229 degrees. When the key is turned off the voltage is removed from the relay. This is the exact thing I did to my car and it works just fine ( my ECM is bad for the fan control)
Old 04-01-2015, 12:24 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Perkins
make sure relay is good, cut the wire from terminal F of relay and connect the temp switch to pin F. This will elimenate the ECM and will turn on the aux fan when the temp reaches 229 degrees.
The ECM is not connected to the auxiliary fan in any way (that changed around 1990 -- I don't know the exact year).

The auxiliary fan coolant temperature switch turns on the auxiliary fan at 238° if it's stock.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:36 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

With the wire missing from the motor and the fan running all the time I bet the previous owner took the wire from the motor and grounded it to make it run all the time.

Get notified of new replies

To how do the aux fan relays work?

Quick Reply: how do the aux fan relays work?