C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Blower Works MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 12:21 AM
rssshen vette
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Blower Works MAF?

Has anyone used an aftermarket MAF sensor from Blowerworks? If I keep my MAF (instead of going speed density) I would like to increase the airflow over the stock MAF sensor.

Last edited by rssshen vette; 06-21-2022 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:10 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The ECM would not know how to deal with a different MAF. The current ECM gets a DC voltage signal from the MAF that varies from 0 to 5 volts and translates that into an airflow rate of 0 to 255 gm/sec. Your new MAF could flow twice as much as the old one but the ECM will still think it's flowing 0 to 255 gm/sec.

I have heard of people modifying the code in the ECM to work with higher flowing MAFs, but that is a major programming challenge that only a few people could do. You would have to change the MAF flow rate to a 16-bit number. That gets pretty complex...
Old 03-31-2015, 05:29 AM
Corvette40
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Blower Works sells the new Bin file with modified MAF tables to work with their MAFs. I've looked into it also but I am hesitant to install a one of a kind Bin file.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:35 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Somewhere on this page there is a thread on this right now.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:38 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-new-hope.html
Old 03-31-2015, 06:29 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

I was probably one of the first to report on using the Blowerworks MAF sensor back when I installed my 383 engine in 2010...(Below is the original thread I posted)...When my original MAF sensor broke , I started looking at the new Bosch units and freaked out at the high price.Used sensors also proved to be a bust so I started looking for an alternative to stock . That's when I got an email from "Tequilaboy" telling me about the Blowerworks unit ..A week later I was having the new bin file inserted into my tune by my tuner "Mick Stevens".. I installed the new MAF sensor, soldered a few wires, and haven't had a minites trouble with the unit since..Actually the car runs much better with the new Blowerworks unit then it ever did with the stock Bosch MAF sensor. That was 4 years ago and I still consider the change over to the Blowerworks MAF sensor one of the best mods I have done to my car.. Blowerworks has also made it much easier to install the unit since I purchased my sensor 4 years ago, they now have a new harness that just plugs into your existing stock harness, eliminating the cutting and soldering I had to do...Now it's pretty much plug and play..They also make MAF sensors up to 4 inchs that will handle engines up to around 1000 hp, so they should be able to cover anything you come up with..Call Blowerworks and talk with Greg Carrol , he will answer any questions you have about the conversion......WW

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-i-got-ww.html

Below is another thread where Tequilaboy answers some questions on the Blowerworks maf sensor....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...af-update.html

Last edited by WW7; 04-24-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:56 AM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for your support. To answer your question, yes we can easily handle more flow range. In general, this is accomplished by using a meter with more range and/or a larger housing along with a reconfigured bin file.

Your setup is one of the few that was done as a stock range/stock style replacement, so at present you are still range limited to 255 gm/second. Most of our customers are running either 510 or 765 gm/second configurations, so there is plenty of room to grow.

There are also a couple methods to extend the range of your current hardware, if desired. All we need to know is the desired power level in order to determine what will work best for your intended application.

Sorry, I didn't read through all the old links, but hope this info is helpful.

Edit: sorry for the potentially confusing answer above which was directed to Wayne. When I posted it originally, I was thinking Wayne was the op and wanted to extend his current range.

Last edited by tequilaboy; 03-31-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:07 PM
rssshen vette
Pro

Thanks guys for your input. At some point in the near future I plan to upgrade to a better MAF. After looking at the Blower Works website I need to get some input from those that have used it and the results. So I'll move this up the list from birthday gift to maybe father's day gift to myself
Old 03-31-2015, 01:27 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 466 Likes on 369 Posts

I have used the 4" unit on my 406 and after tuning it worked great. I have also used the 4" unit on my buddies 434 and again after fine tuning it works great.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:35 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
You would have to change the MAF flow rate to a 16-bit number. That gets pretty complex...
The MAF flow rate "display value" or DISPFLOW that is used for the injector pulse width calculation is already a 16-bit number. The 8-bit value or AIRFLOW is only used for Code 33.

By disabling the sliding filter and adding the MAF voltage to the datastream, it can be observed that the display value directly matches the value pulled from the lookup table, assuming correct scaling.

With my current sensor and tune idling at approx. 10 gm/sec, the display value will bounce around in roughly 0.39 gm/sec increments (with the sliding filter disabled) as the A/D counts vary up or down. Keep in mind this is a 0-765 gm/sec range tune capable of supporting approx. 900 hp. Plenty of range and resolution.

Example TunerProRT screenshots to help illustrate my points:
First one is a dash shot at idle, showing direct MAF voltage and Mass airflow signal alignment with programmed table values with sliding filter disabled.

Second is at cruise ~25 gm/sec, showing how the INT is the dominant influence on the bpw variation with steady state flow and rpm. MAF signal is notably flat. Sliding filter is enabled in this trace.

Third is a dyno pull ~480 rwhp.
Attached Images    
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Maf4.PDF (1.47 MB, 139 views)
Maf5.PDF (1.92 MB, 153 views)
8x16_1.PDF (2.90 MB, 381 views)

Last edited by tequilaboy; 04-03-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:43 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

8x16_2 added (too many attachments for one post). 16x16 is used for the fuel pw calc.

http://blowerworks.net/sensor.html
Attached Images
8x16_2.PDF (2.78 MB, 109 views)
16x16.PDF (4.50 MB, 135 views)
Bpw.PDF (1.28 MB, 145 views)

Last edited by tequilaboy; 04-03-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:49 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Here's an example custom MAF calibration from a car with a 3" tube:

Note: The actual table #4 was clipped to 765 gm/sec and slightly massaged from these values for smoothing purposes. As you can see there is plenty of range available.

For those obsessed with 0xFF (255) we can always scale the tune for Myriagrams/hour instead of grams/second.
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2015, 02:22 PM
rssshen vette
Pro

Right now I have the factory 870 ecu in my car. Will the 870 be able to support this MAF and the change in tuning?
Old 04-04-2015, 03:57 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

The 870 ecm application is still a work in progress...

I do have an 870 ecm on hand to tinker with and know what needs to be done to make it work, just haven't fully proven the concept yet.

I've got a socket booster ready to install, but I'm still waiting on a Calpak to make for a fully functional ecu suitable for testing in a car.

I will program a new 2732 eprom first based on an of the shelf $1F bin, but will likely install the socket booster in the ecm to allow use of 28 pin eeproms and/or emulation for more flexibility. The software is the easy part.

Any favorite bcc/bin among the 870 crowd that I should start with? Assume they are all pretty similar.

If I don't find a test car that's local to me, I may need to find someone willing to run some tests in a car with my modded ecm.

Somebody that's already logging and emulating with an 870 ecm (in a good running car) would make the best candidate. Any volunteers?
Old 04-05-2015, 08:14 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi Guys - greg here from BlowerWorks.

If I can clear up a couple of points. First you own the new BIN when purchased. You don't need me or anybody else to edit or copy or whatever if you learn to use TunerPro RT. So when I croak your MAF will live on ! LOL
Second we use off the shelf slot style MAF sensors. We start with the FORD 05 unit available at any auto store. You can buy them off E-Bay for next to nothing. Typically the FORD sensor we use on otherwise stock L98s'. Then for engines up to 1000 HP we choose from 2 other off the shelf sensors.
Last if you don't love the sensor and tune you can always put back the BOSCH and whatever BIN you were running !!!
Old 04-05-2015, 11:55 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by BlowerWorks
Hi Guys - greg here from BlowerWorks.

If I can clear up a couple of points. First you own the new BIN when purchased. You don't need me or anybody else to edit or copy or whatever if you learn to use TunerPro RT. So when I croak your MAF will live on ! LOL
Second we use off the shelf slot style MAF sensors. We start with the FORD 05 unit available at any auto store. You can buy them off E-Bay for next to nothing. Typically the FORD sensor we use on otherwise stock L98s'. Then for engines up to 1000 HP we choose from 2 other off the shelf sensors.
Last if you don't love the sensor and tune you can always put back the BOSCH and whatever BIN you were running !!!
Besides my car running better, the other big advantage is like mentioned above, the replacement sensors are cheap..I bought an extra sensor off ebay to carry with me for emergencys, I payed $23.00 for a 05 mustang factory sensor brand new in the box..Compare that to a new Bosch sensor for $735.00 ..Plus Greg spent a good amount of time explaining everything to me on the phone, which was a big help..Back 4 years ago when I got my maf sensor ,you had to solder the new harness in to your existing harness, now they have a conversion harness that's just plug and play..I can't see why anyone would ever replace with a Bosch/AC Delco sensor when there's a unit like this on the market....WW

Last edited by WW7; 04-05-2015 at 12:06 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Blower Works MAF?

Quick Reply: Blower Works MAF?