C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Those who do all their own mechanical work

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 11:49 AM
kdtomczak
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Those who do all their own mechanical work

would you say it's harder or easier on the vette compared to other cars? I have non prior experience auto mechanical experience but I would like to get into it as a hobby. The idea of learning and doing all the work sounds fun (atleast, at the moment it does sound fun :-D)

Its not my daily so when I do have stuff to do, I have the time and don't have to be rushed. But whenever I read over repair steps, everything seems so daunting.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:57 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by kdtomczak
would you say it's harder or easier on the vette compared to other cars? I have non prior experience auto mechanical experience but I would like to get into it as a hobby. The idea of learning and doing all the work sounds fun (atleast, at the moment it does sound fun :-D)

Its not my daily so when I do have stuff to do, I have the time and don't have to be rushed. But whenever I read over repair steps, everything seems so daunting.
Take a look at some of Ozzstar vidios on youtube he does a good job. And now days they are all a PITA.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:10 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Well, let me say that a C4 with a clamshell hood is a heck of a lot easier to work on than many other big engine, small hood cars that I can think of;

so, with that said, start out easy with simple stuff; fluid and filter changes (don't forget the gas filter) spark plug changes (use anti seize !!!), plug wires, water hoses, etc.

as your skills and confidence builds, not to mention your tool box, you'll find yourself taking on more complex jobs and saving thousands in the process.

good luck
Old 04-01-2015, 01:02 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
Well, let me say that a C4 with a clamshell hood is a heck of a lot easier to work on than many other big engine, small hood cars that I can think of;

so, with that said, start out easy with simple stuff; fluid and filter changes (don't forget the gas filter) spark plug changes (use anti seize !!!), plug wires, water hoses, etc.

as your skills and confidence builds, not to mention your tool box, you'll find yourself taking on more complex jobs and saving thousands in the process.

good luck
Not having to lean over fenders makes a big difference.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:10 PM
suicidejockey
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Take a look at some of Ozzstar vidios on youtube he does a good job. And now days they are all a PITA.
DIYGuy also has some great videos. Also, if you do any under-car work, make sure you Jack it up correctly or the cracking you hear will be the sound of money flying out of your wallet.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:49 PM
kenpeindl
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

I've been working on my own cars for over 40 years and before the internet came along you needed a good book with detailed pictures and patience. Oh and some good friends to share the experience with.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:06 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

If you really want to start doing your own maintenance/repairs then get a copy of the FSM (factory service manual) for your year on Ebay.

Since you haven't done repairs in the past you probably don't have the necessary tools. So start out slow - do an oil change. Get an oil pan, oil filter wrench and at least a decent 3/8 ratchet and socket set. Here's a Gearwrench basic 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 set on sale at Advance Auto.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/g...01d/25984232-P

If I was starting out again now I would probably go with SK Tools and Wright tools as they are high quality (lifetime tools) at somewhat reasonable prices.

If the oil change is successful and you want to do more, move up. Search for threads on spark plugs, wires, gas filter, etc. Read up on them also in the FSM. The threads will often discuss the tools needed and tricks/methods to get the job done easier.

Pick another maintenance item and see how it goes. And remember if you are going to jack up the car, don't rely on just the jack while you're under there, use jack stands.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:36 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

It's no harder than working on other cars of the same era (1984-1996).
I feel there are only a few things daunting about doing work on a C4:
-- Stupid LT1/LT4 distributor/water pump configuration (92-96 only)
-- Cramped engine bay... clamshell hood is cool but does not create more space between components
-- Lots of technology/computers for its day

Reading over the repair steps may seem daunting, only because written instructions usually cover every detail of the procedure. Be glad for this.

If you are just getting into auto work (not just Corvettes) as a hobby, I can only suggest to be patient. Nothing ever goes exactly right the first time, no matter how much you research. Expect to have problems, prepare for them mentally/emotionally, and they will be easier to deal with. No need to throw a wrench and cause more problems. And if mechanic work was easy, everyone would be doing it themselves and saving money. But it's not always easy.
It also helps to have a buddy who can understand your instructions and be able to help you when you need extra hands.

Obviously if you get a car in good condition, stay on top of maintenance and don't abuse it too much, you won't have major problems. Now if by mechanical work you are *not* talking about regular maintenance, if you are talking about driveline repair, serious computer trouble codes/troubleshooting, frame/suspension/body issues etc., you might have a bad time depending on circumstances. Lots of help here on CF though.

Dad always told me: maintenance is cheaper and easier than repair, so take care of your stuff! It's a Chevy and regular maintenance is pretty simple... oil changes, brake service, suspension lube, coolant flushes, transmission/diff/brake fluid changes, maybe power steering fluid freshen up. All these things I have done myself, mostly by myself. Spark plugs last a long time, as do modern serpentine belts and synthetic fluids. Even stuff like fuel injection, cylinder heads and weather stripping are not too hard if you do some research, take your time and pay attention to what you are doing, and have the right tools.

Don't be intimidated.

Last edited by DGXR; 04-01-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:49 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Wiring is a pain.

Anything with the word relay in it MAY be a pain (refer to wiring) if it involves a relay that's in side the car.

Beyond that they are easier to work on than anything else I own to be honest. The hood gets out of the way making getting to things very easy.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:03 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Beware of the then "new tech" of the Engine Control Module = ECM and the early model "Vegas at midnight" instruments. Both often require the knowledge of experts to fix. The rest of the C4 is conventional and not any more involved than a Chevy pick up of the same age.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:23 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 162 Posts

I think the Vette is the easiest car I have owned to work on. The clamshell hood makes for not leaning over fenders and worrying about the paintwork. One thing that bothers me a bit when working underhood is that the Vette is a particularly low car. It can make for a sore back from hunching over. I tend to jack the car up off the ground to bring it up to a more comfortable height if in doing any major underhood work. That also allows you to pull the wheels off and you can straddle the suspension to stand in the wheel well for an even closer reach.

If you're just getting into this keep in mind that a mechanic is only as good as his tools.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:27 PM
armysnipe
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a 93 and for me it's been the hardest car to work on. Comparing it to a 2012 dodge, superbee, durango rt, 2006 Toyota Corolla s and 1967 dodge coronet 500. I've had to work on them all. With a combination of modding and repairs the vette always takes the longest. My car is far from stock, so I've made it a little harder in some ways and easier in others to work on. My 67 is the easiest. However, I love modding the vette and normal maintenance is just about the same as any other car. I've learned the most on the vette and IMOH it's a great car to learn on, but make sure you use the FSM, bag and tag everything and write down everything you do. Before you know it you'll wonder why you didn't start earlier. Good luck and be patient..
Old 04-01-2015, 09:55 PM
pezter22
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a '84 and '91 and started out slow and progressed to tougher things. Last year I changed my head gaskets. It was thrilling to do it myself.

One of the nice things too about the clam shell hood is sitting on the tire and working in the engine compartment.

Definitely buy the Factory Service Manual. It's the best resource... better than Haynes or Chilton books. But they are helpful too.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:33 AM
Lk12
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmgtp
I think the Vette is the easiest car I have owned to work on. The clamshell hood makes for not leaning over fenders and worrying about the paintwork. One thing that bothers me a bit when working underhood is that the Vette is a particularly low car. It can make for a sore back from hunching over. I tend to jack the car up off the ground to bring it up to a more comfortable height if in doing any major underhood work. That also allows you to pull the wheels off and you can straddle the suspension to stand in the wheel well for an even closer reach.

If you're just getting into this keep in mind that a mechanic is only as good as his tools.
Thats about the only thing I dont like about the c4, its too low to work on, lol. I do like the clamshell c4 only feature. Working on it isnt so bad but sometimes you have to remove somethings to get to another thing. Patience is key, just tell yourself hey its a corvette performance machine it takes extra care. Factory service manual as stated above. I had to use it right when i got my 96 CE. The air injection had a code so I used the manual and it ended up being a folder tang on the relay for it.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:54 AM
RedCorvette1988
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I still use tape and a marker to tag wires when I take something apart makes it alot easier to put back together. Plus taking pictures of where the wire or wires go helps. The big thing is not to get in a hurry.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:22 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Never a bad idea to have a friend with you when doing something you haven't done b4. Makes the job more enjoyable, time go by faster and you always have someone to blame when things go wrong. A friend is also great for walking between the tool box and the car to fetch another/different tool. (and beer). The very first thing you need to keep in mind is SAFTY. A falling car on a poorly placed jack, with no other back up, will kill you. Putting your finger(s) near any spinning belt or object will shorten said finger. Lots of sharp objects,, use CORRECT tool when pushing or pulling with gusto.. tool slips hurt. Stuff like that.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:45 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCorvette1988
I still use tape and a marker to tag wires when I take something apart makes it alot easier to put back together. Plus taking pictures of where the wire or wires go helps. The big thing is not to get in a hurry.
Agreed on all parts. Take a ton of digital pictures before you start and label everything as you remove parts. I can't tell you how many times I referred to pictures I had taken when installing a new engine in my 91.

Get notified of new replies

To Those who do all their own mechanical work

Old 04-02-2015, 08:22 PM
pezter22
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Very helpful to take photos to help with putting everything back together. This was my head gasket reinstallation last year with photos showing where every cable and bolt went.
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2015, 11:33 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

The best advise I could give you is; Don't just dive in! Take small steps, and Research the hell out of any Task you might take on,, take lots of notes, and move slow and cautious. The rewards are huge..
Old 04-03-2015, 10:10 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by desertmike1
The best advise I could give you is; Don't just dive in! Take small steps, and Research the hell out of any Task you might take on,, take lots of notes, and move slow and cautious. The rewards are huge..
The FSM and do this forum are all you need for virtually any job. My advice is more on a safety side and that is block your tires rather when youJack the car raise the car by something underneath the tires like a block of 6 x 6 wood or an old steel set of rims don't rely just on jackstands.

I started this past September from never having worked in a car in my life with something as simple as changing the oil pan gasket to stop a leak from there I went to the water pump gasket to stop a leak there from there I pulled off the extension housing from the back of the transmission to replace the O-ring the bushing and that will seal and I did the rear pinion seal the front of the differential I did about 1000 things I have the shop manual and I posted a lot of questions here so far I've saved myself $2500 I have purchased $500 worth of parts and equipment spend a lot of time after putting the kids to bed.

i've always felt that a guy should at least know the basics of how to repair something on an engine but I've never known that stuff myself so I considered both in education a healthy usage of time and it saves me a bunch of after-tax money as well

good luck look forward to seeing postings of how to get things done from you I'll help if I can

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 04-03-2015 at 10:11 AM. Reason: correcting siris auto dictation mistakes!

Quick Reply: Those who do all their own mechanical work