C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

87 valve job, double checking this is all i need?

Old 04-02-2015, 01:09 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Default 87 valve job, double checking this is all i need?

Hi guys, 110K miles on my 87, got the puff of blue smoke on startup overnight or if left for 5 hrs ish.

I am ready to do this job and i am just checking this this is what i need:

1. replacement valve cover gaskets, rubber, like this: http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...late-1996.html

2. 16 valve seals, with orings like from here (my research on the forum tells me i am good to use the felpro intake valve seals even on the exhaust valves? : http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...model/corvette

thats it? (aside from the tools, the spring compressor and the sparkplug air injector hose are the only things i dont' have already)

i don't want to get carried away replacing things that don't need to be replaced i just want to stop the smoke on startup.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:06 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 699 Likes on 588 Posts

I found it's a lot easier with an extra set of hands - a good friend, son/daughter, favorite squeeze, etc. one of those telescoping magnet things is also handy for dropped retainers. would go with fel-pro silicone VC gaskets though. overall, i found it to be a pretty easy job -
Old 04-02-2015, 08:11 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

a bit of grease put on the valve stems when replacing the keepers is a huge help. The grease keeps the keepers in place as you ease off the valve spring/ retainer.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:01 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
a bit of grease put on the valve stems when replacing the keepers is a huge help. The grease keeps the keepers in place as you ease off the valve spring/ retainer.
Roger that guys. Thnx for the tips. I have a long long long loooonnnnggg list of things to do.

Boggles my mind how 95% of c4's out there are absolutely neglected!!!

leaks leak leaks and more leaks!
Old 04-04-2015, 08:06 PM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll need something to compress the springs. A magnet to remove the keepers. And something to organize everything. I used an egg carton. Don't forget to check the push rods to make sure they're not bent. Good luck. This will either be a fun project, or a nightmare. Oh yeah, very important. Make sure there's lots of beer on hand. Most important tool you're gonna need.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:44 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

I'd take the VC off and plug up all the drain holes in the head with toilet paper to prevent anything falling in.

Also, I like to do it via firing order. That way, the piston is at TDC and will fall down just a hair if it does. I set it up so that #1 is at TDC, do the job and move on to turning the crank till #8 is at TDC and so on

Get notified of new replies

To 87 valve job, double checking this is all i need?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 87 valve job, double checking this is all i need?