C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ZERO oil pressure on right turns

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 09:04 AM
RonBrooksGA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZERO oil pressure on right turns

I have a feeling that I know the answer but here are the symptoms. My '94 just this morning had oil pressure drop to ZERO while making right turns at any sort of decent speed. Oil level is fine and I'm running Wix filter and Mobil1 5-30. Change was ~900mi ago.

Pressure is normal at idle, cold, warmed or turning left. Pressure only disappears when making right turns. I noticed it first when on a looping off ramp to the right this morning. The office parking lot was empty when I arrived and if I drive in circles at anything over 20 mph making a right the pressure drops to ZERO. Just fine going left. Haven't tried any heavy breaking.

My guess is the pump pickup tube fell off AGAIN! I had this about 10k mi ago and the shop was supposed to tack weld it once in place. I have the feeling that was not done.

Suggestions?
Old 04-09-2015, 09:12 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by RonBrooksGA
I have a feeling that I know the answer but here are the symptoms. My '94 just this morning had oil pressure drop to ZERO while making right turns at any sort of decent speed. Oil level is fine and I'm running Wix filter and Mobil1 5-30. Change was ~900mi ago.

Pressure is normal at idle, cold, warmed or turning left. Pressure only disappears when making right turns. I noticed it first when on a looping off ramp to the right this morning. The office parking lot was empty when I arrived and if I drive in circles at anything over 20 mph making a right the pressure drops to ZERO. Just fine going left. Haven't tried any heavy breaking.

My guess is the pump pickup tube fell off AGAIN! I had this about 10k mi ago and the shop was supposed to tack weld it once in place. I have the feeling that was not done.

Suggestions?
Stop driving in circles and get it fixed

Last edited by antfarmer2; 04-09-2015 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:13 AM
8a8mfh
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just tacked mine on few weeks ago. Never liked doing that with a steel tube and iron pump.
Last night changed the oil looked inside the drain hole and could see the joint right there. Thats one way to check it.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:22 AM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

I understand that most engine designs secure the oil pickup tube with either a retainer bracket (similar to an old-school distributor adjustment/lock-down), or the pan itself provides support under the pickup tube to hold it into the pump inlet.
Just seems weird to me, especially seeing how others have had the same problem, if this is in fact the problem you are having. I'll peek into the oil pan drain hole next time I change the oil.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:50 PM
Mishawaka
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

There anyway you can drill and tap a hole to put a setscrew in it? Or maybe silver solder or even braze it? I kinda agree with 8a8mfh about tack welding it. Either way, it's gonna be a pain to pull it all apart to take of the problem.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:09 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Pickup retainer

There is a bracket that is available from the drag racing suppliers that will effectively hold the pickup to the pump body. Part number is 555-23620.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:08 PM
8a8mfh
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1984Z51auto
There is a bracket that is available from the drag racing suppliers that will effectively hold the pickup to the pump body. Part number is 555-23620. ::
A '94 needs this one for the 3/4 pick up. 555-23621
Mellings website says it's a good idea to have the pick up tig welded on. With the correct rod this would work, problem is not many people know what the correct rod is.

People have used set screws.

Get notified of new replies

To ZERO oil pressure on right turns

Quick Reply: ZERO oil pressure on right turns