C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

A/C compressor test off the car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 12:07 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Default A/C compressor test off the car?

Is there any way of knowing for sure a used a/c compressor and clutch assembly is any good before you install it? My old original one seized up and I purchased a used one from a member here for only $50.00. It looks ok and it doesn't "appear" to have any problems from the outside. Now after getting it, I'm afraid of spending all the money to install and recharge the a/c system only to maybe find out the used compressor I bought might be bad. Should I have just bit the bullet and bought a new one or go ahead and take a chance with this used one?
Old 04-11-2015, 12:24 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Is there any way of knowing for sure a used a/c compressor and clutch assembly is any good before you install it? My old original one seized up and I purchased a used one from a member here for only $50.00. It looks ok and it doesn't "appear" to have any problems from the outside. Now after getting it, I'm afraid of spending all the money to install and recharge the a/c system only to maybe find out the used compressor I bought might be bad. Should I have just bit the bullet and bought a new one or go ahead and take a chance with this used one?
You already bought it no time to stop now I would dump the oil and put in fresh pull it down and charge you can get a 12 can case of freon off ebay for $50.00 I would change shrader valves too don't need the tool to do it like you will once it's filled

Last edited by antfarmer2; 04-11-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:15 PM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default air conditioning

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
You already bought it no time to stop now I would dump the oil and put in fresh pull it down and charge you can get a 12 can case of freon off ebay for $50.00 I would change shrader valves too don't need the tool to do it like you will once it's filled
Are you going to install a new accumulator and orfice tube?
Old 04-13-2015, 05:29 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

I most likely will replace those parts. My question is the used compressor itself. If the used replacement compressor isn't seized up, and the bearings sound good, is there anything else that could be wrong with it besides the O rings?
Old 04-14-2015, 06:26 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

You may conceder a partial tear down inspection. look at the piston/bore's, valve body, Swash plate assembly. Replace the Body, and drive seals.. Very simple process, with many Videos on the subject.

http://www.ackits.com/compressor-kits

Get notified of new replies

To A/C compressor test off the car?

Quick Reply: A/C compressor test off the car?