C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Question about oil pump and tack welding oil pump pick up

Old 04-11-2015, 10:43 PM
RonBrooksGA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about oil pump and tack welding oil pump pick up

My pickup has fallen off for the 2nd time in 8k miles. Since the last shop said they welded it when they didn't I'd prefer to do this myself now. I figure I might just as well install a new pump as well. My 1st question is this. Since I don't have the ability to tack weld, can I take a new pump and pick up to someone and have it tack welded and then install it as one piece? I don't know how much clearance there is. People talk about tack welding but no one says if the pump has to be installed first for clearance reasons.

2nd will installing a high pressure/high volume pump be wise? My 94 Corvette engine is actually installed in a 1995 Porsche 968. The engine turns 2800 rpm at 70mph. I was actually thinking more of just a high volume pump but it seems high volume comes along with high pressure. Perhaps the spring in a high volume pump can be changed to make it high volume but normal pressure? The engine is completely stock. It's just in a different car.

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2015, 08:31 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 489 Likes on 333 Posts

..... Before you weld the pick-up on its a good idea to make sure that the pick-up screen is between 1/4" and 3/8" above the bottom of the oil pan ... when you measure the depth of the pan , include whatever gasket you are planning to use ... the one-piece blue Felpro gaskets are thick ........
Old 04-12-2015, 10:07 AM
Les 94 Comp Yellow
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default high volumn oil pump

It is not a really good idea to have a high volumn pump without a larger capacity pan. Under some conditions the pan can pump dry before the oil will drain back through the block
Old 04-12-2015, 12:17 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Bracket for pickup

There is a bracket that is available from the drag racing suppliers that will effectively hold the pickup to the pump body. Part number is 555-23620. You can avoid the welder by using this bolt on retainer.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:39 PM
RonBrooksGA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is PERFECT 1984Z51auto!!! $14.99 WELL spent at JEGS! Too bad the last shop I went to didn't know as much as YOU! These forums are such a great place to learn from. The saddest part is this: the last shop I went to BOUGHT the new pickup from JEGS! A shame the shop didn't know about this part and that JEGS didn't suggest it.

Thanks again! Now I have to find time to lift the engine a bit and drop the pan.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:00 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

To make sure the pickup is the proper distance from the bottom of the pan, put soft clay or putty in the pan about 1/2" thick where the pickup will sit, install the pan with gasket , pull the pan, then check the thickness of the putty..Put tape on the pickup screen so you don't get putty in it........WW

PS..Stock Chevy 350s don't need a high volume pump...

Last edited by WW7; 04-13-2015 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:45 PM
wolfie1961
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We like to tack weld them in on our boat engines. That being said, the brackets work well too.
Like has been said before, ensure that you have the correct clearance between the pan and pickup.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:24 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

you can install the pump, install the oil pump pickup, check pan clearance, draw a couple of "witness marks" (lines with a felt pen acros the pickup and pump body to show any shifting during transportation), take it to any welding shop, verify that the pickup hasn't shifted and have the shop do a couple of tack welds

Get notified of new replies

To Question about oil pump and tack welding oil pump pick up

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about oil pump and tack welding oil pump pick up