C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1987 Bucking After Ignition Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 05:49 PM
Dagcolpat
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 87 as well. Might be your MAF sensor, mine did the exact same thing you are describing. Unplug your sensor and run the car, if its the MAF the car will still run "ok" and it will throw the CEL on. Don't run it too long without the MAF, but it will run well enough to get you to a parts house. I replaced the sensor and runs perfect now. Good luck!
Old 05-22-2015, 12:36 PM
87Z52
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well I swapped to the other Delco rotor (D468) and all is well! Thing runs great now.

BUT....just tried using the radio for the first time this morning and there is some static/buzz going on that's never been there before. Ugh...always something! Anyway, it's there whether listening to radio or tape so it's not the antenna picking it up. Is this a sign of some electrical leak from the ignition components that have been driving me nuts? Sometimes it seems to get louder when the brake lights are on. Now that the thing is running so good, I'm hesitant to mess with it anymore but I do like to use the radio once in awhile.

Any ideas where to start one this one?
Old 07-25-2015, 11:59 PM
mkh
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

My 87 is doing the same thing you describe. Have been chasing the problem for a week now. Do you believe the rotor was really the problem? I purchased a tune up kit also and it came with the same rotor you described with the phillip screws. Now thinking of purchasing the D468 to see if that makes a difference.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:42 PM
87Z52
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

When I installed the new rotor, I also quadruple checked the wire connections at the plugs. The only one I'm not convinced was fully seated when I did this was the #4. That is the tricky one to get on properly. So it was either the rotor, the #4 plug wire, or a combination of the two.

After all the messing around, I think the radio noise capacitor in the distributor got disturbed so now there is some (intermittent) buzz over the radio. Sometimes, it's annoying, and sometimes I don't hear it at all. I've checked the connections and all seems ok. New capacitors are available but I've had my "fun" messing with it for now. It's a short driving season in MN so I'm not touching it now!

Quick Reply: 1987 Bucking After Ignition Replacement