C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dash display problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 06:42 AM
70chev
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash display problem

Hey guys. I've had my 84 crossfire corvette for about 6 months now. The dash works pretty well, and I only have a glitch every now and then. Here's a photo of normal operation.

Name:  vet das 1.JPG
Views: 408
Size:  66.6 KB

More lately though, for no apparent reason, the instrument displays go really dark (you can only just see the readouts) and the two indicator arrows and high beam blue light come on.

Name:  vet dash 2.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  76.4 KB

After a while it will, for no apparent reason, go back to normal with all of the gauges working properly.

Has anyone experienced this before and are there any suggestions on how to fix.

Thank you

Darren
Old 04-22-2015, 07:45 AM
suicidejockey
Pro

There are several threads on this in cf. The usual culprit has been bad grounds. Search keywords "digital dash".
Good luck.
Bob
Old 04-22-2015, 08:43 AM
70chev
Advanced

Originally Posted by suicidejockey
There are several threads on this in cf. The usual culprit has been bad grounds. Search keywords "digital dash".
Good luck.
Bob
Thanks Bob, but please pardon my ignorance. What is cf?

Thanks

Darren
Old 04-22-2015, 09:39 AM
suicidejockey
Pro

Originally Posted by 70chev
Thanks Bob, but please pardon my ignorance. What is cf?

Thanks

Darren
Corvette Forum. Don't feel bad, I'm still learning what all the abbreviations are too.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:26 PM
Robert Perkins
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey guys. I've had my 84 crossfire corvette for about 6 months now. The dash works pretty well, and I only have a glitch every now and then. Here's a photo of normal operation.

Attachment 47880018

More lately though, for no apparent reason, the instrument displays go really dark (you can only just see the readouts) and the two indicator arrows and high beam blue light come on.

Attachment 47880019

After a while it will, for no apparent reason, go back to normal with all of the gauges working properly.

Thank you

Darren
This is a common problem with the digital dashes in the early C4's. Could be a bad ground, crack in circuit board, bad power supply. If you are not technically able to do work yourself Advanced Electronics can repair for you. www.advancedelectronics.org They also give a discount to CF members.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:34 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Thank you

Darren
Hi

The exact same thing happened to my 85, with indicator lights on and no display had bad connections in the board connectors.
Replaced the connectors that connect the two boards together and fixed it. Batee has the repair kits on Ebay, see the link below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Backlight-Repair-Kit-Connector-C4-Corvette-Digital-Cluster-Gauge-Instrument-Dash-/111632568157?hash=item19fdd1cf5d
Old 04-23-2015, 08:10 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Had that happen to mine the other month. Sent mine to Brian at Batee for repair. Burnt connector between the boards was the culprit. He replaced the connector, replaced the bulbs with xenon ones along with replacing the photocell.

Works great now.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:20 PM
Robert Perkins
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
Had that happen to mine the other month. Sent mine to Brian at Batee for repair. Burnt connector between the boards was the culprit. He replaced the connector, replaced the bulbs with xenon ones along with replacing the photocell.

Works great now.
I guess the OP is not interested in the help he does not see fit to respond or advise on his progress.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:22 AM
70chev
Advanced

Originally Posted by Robert Perkins
I guess the OP is not interested in the help he does not see fit to respond or advise on his progress.
Bit rude Robert. Do we know each other??? Just because I don't get to my computer each day doesn't mean I'm not interested or appreciative of the advice provided. I simply wouldn't get by without the help of the great folks here on this thread. Just didn't expect some to need a pat on the head for helping.

Still working on the problem, but with the great responses I've received here, I know where to look. I'll be sure to get back once I make progress, I promise.

Darren
Old 05-04-2015, 09:57 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 207 Posts

How can you not love that cluster?
Old 05-05-2015, 06:32 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

If the OP does remove it to have it fixed (or fix it himself), there are a couple of youtubes that show how to remove it. One suggestion though is it doesn't show the retainer clip on the cables that plug into the cluster. It was vague IMO and I started pulling what looked like what the person posting implied had to be pulled on the front of the cables, that's wrong. Slide the cluster so it's laying down on the steering column and you'll see the clips on the back side of the cables. each cable had a metal clip that engaged the cluster so it didn't slip off. Slide a screwdriver under it to lift the tab and the cables will slide off.

When taking them off it's easy to drop a screw. I used some masking tape and plastic insulation to plug up the holes so if I dropped on it didn't go back into the dash. There are quite a few screws in the instrument cluster bezel along with the headlight **** having to come off. Easy to do once you find them all, just be methodical in your examination and removal. You also need to remove the handle that controls the tilt wheel (at least that's what I had to do in my 86).

Just a bit of info
Old 05-06-2015, 08:37 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Just put my 89 cluster back in yesterday after replacing the LCD film and bulbs, It was a piece of cake thanks to Byran's videos. It was a great feeling when I turned the key and saw my digital dash display for the first time since I've had the car.

Replacing the 12 pin power connector, which is usually the problem, requires some soldering skill. Mine was still in good shape so I left it as is. Now I know how much gas I have.

Rick
Old 05-13-2015, 08:24 AM
70chev
Advanced

Originally Posted by hcbph
If the OP does remove it to have it fixed (or fix it himself), there are a couple of youtubes that show how to remove it. One suggestion though is it doesn't show the retainer clip on the cables that plug into the cluster. It was vague IMO and I started pulling what looked like what the person posting implied had to be pulled on the front of the cables, that's wrong. Slide the cluster so it's laying down on the steering column and you'll see the clips on the back side of the cables. each cable had a metal clip that engaged the cluster so it didn't slip off. Slide a screwdriver under it to lift the tab and the cables will slide off.

When taking them off it's easy to drop a screw. I used some masking tape and plastic insulation to plug up the holes so if I dropped on it didn't go back into the dash. There are quite a few screws in the instrument cluster bezel along with the headlight **** having to come off. Easy to do once you find them all, just be methodical in your examination and removal. You also need to remove the handle that controls the tilt wheel (at least that's what I had to do in my 86).

Just a bit of info
Thank you for the very good info here. I'm looking at removing the cluster very shortly once the parts arrive so I'll make sure I close the post out with how it all went. Thanks again to everyone who has offered advice and assistance.

Regards,

Darren

Get notified of new replies

To Dash display problem

Quick Reply: Dash display problem