C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Window Adjustment Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 06:55 AM
70chev
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Adjustment Question

Guys,

I've got an 84 that has had the window seals replaced before I bought the car. The right door has the old style ribbon regulator and the driver's door has had the newer regulator fitted.

Anyway, I've been adjusting the windows to stop it leaking during rain. One issue I've found is that with the door closed, I can wind the window all the way up until the motor stops and it won't go up any further. Even if I keep the window button in the up position, the motor won't wind it up any further. However, if I open the door with the window in that position and hit the window up button, the window will go up another couple of millimetres.

This is an issue as when the window stops when winding up with the doors closed, the window doesn't actually go all the way up into the seals. It stops just short. However, when you open the door, wind it up the extra couple of mils and shut the door, the window is perfect against the seals.

I don't want to have to get out and open the door each time its raining just to get the windows fully up and sealed.

The issue doesn't appear to be the up stops as when you open the door and wind it up further, it moves to the up stops and is fine.

Is there something in the electronics that stops the motor once it meets a certain amount of resistance and if so, can this be adjusted.

Can the tilt of the window in terms of how much it tilts into the car at the top be adjusted. I'm thinking it I adjust the top of the window out a little, that might be what it needs to relieve the resistance.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Darren
Old 04-22-2015, 07:38 AM
suicidejockey
Pro

I'm not sure why the difference between door open or closed. But the window can be adjusted in. Take the panel off and at the top you'll see the anti-rattle bumpers. They're in slotted holes so you can adjust the tilt.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:39 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by 70chev
Guys,

I've got an 84 that has had the window seals replaced before I bought the car. The right door has the old style ribbon regulator and the driver's door has had the newer regulator fitted.

Anyway, I've been adjusting the windows to stop it leaking during rain. One issue I've found is that with the door closed, I can wind the window all the way up until the motor stops and it won't go up any further. Even if I keep the window button in the up position, the motor won't wind it up any further. However, if I open the door with the window in that position and hit the window up button, the window will go up another couple of millimetres.

This is an issue as when the window stops when winding up with the doors closed, the window doesn't actually go all the way up into the seals. It stops just short. However, when you open the door, wind it up the extra couple of mils and shut the door, the window is perfect against the seals.

I don't want to have to get out and open the door each time its raining just to get the windows fully up and sealed.

The issue doesn't appear to be the up stops as when you open the door and wind it up further, it moves to the up stops and is fine.

Is there something in the electronics that stops the motor once it meets a certain amount of resistance and if so, can this be adjusted.

Can the tilt of the window in terms of how much it tilts into the car at the top be adjusted. I'm thinking it I adjust the top of the window out a little, that might be what it needs to relieve the resistance.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Darren
Hi Darren

Yes you can adjust the window up limit and how far the window tilts inward, there is a L shaped bracket inside the door toward the front that limits how far the window can go up.

There is a bracket inside the door that acts as a catch to also limit the window hight "and the tilt" see picture of shop manual diagram below.

There are two bolts that can losened so the window hight can be adjusted to raise the window, there is a bolt that can be accessed with a socket wrench that has a scissor like affect pulling the top of the window in when fully up.

I found best to close the door window up and loosen and tighten that bolt, you should be able to close the door to the first click of the latch with the window just touching the A pillar and targa weatherstrips.
The more tilt inward the harder it is to close the door, it is a trail and error thing. Good luck

Old 04-25-2015, 08:24 AM
70chev
Advanced

Thanks for the help guys. I've got a FSM so I'll get to it and try to make more adjustments. Thanks for the tips.

Darren

Get notified of new replies

To Window Adjustment Question

Quick Reply: Window Adjustment Question