C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92 Vette LT1 no start

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 02:44 PM
mvsvette92
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 92 Vette LT1 no start

I just purchased 92 vette that had blown head gaskets and needed a top end rebuild. New parts: Injectors, Opti, coil, ICM, plug wires, water pump, valve covers, hoses and both coolant sensors. After putting it all back together it fired up and ran strong. Drove it for a few days with no problems. Was driving at 70 on the freeway and it started back firing and died. restarted and died. Made it off the freeway and was able to push it to a side road. Towed it home and it hasn't started since. Pulled codes 16, 41, 42. Replaced the opti and ICM again. Still no start. Fuel pressure good and can hear the pump prime and run. No spark from plugs or coil. Checked fuses all good.

Need some insight vette brothas.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:01 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Might help (?):

http://www.mainstreamtopics.com/foru...rt-diagnostic/
Old 04-23-2015, 10:44 AM
mvsvette92
Heel & Toe

Thanks. I'll check it out.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:05 AM
mvsvette92
Heel & Toe

Default Thanks Seabright.

Worked out great. Got the vette to fire. Now, checked fuel pressure. Hooked up pressure gage, KOEO 41 psi. Bled down instantly. KO, KOEO, no pump sound no pressure. Engine cranking, 41 psi, pressure bleeds off instantly. Gonna install a new filter and pump. Hopefully will be good to go,

Originally Posted by seabright
Old 04-24-2015, 10:12 AM
don hall
Safety Car

I'm a little slow......... do you have fuel pressure, or is it bleeding down soon after starting?

Before replacing fuel pump and filter, read through the following link to see if it offers a solution:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ible-6spd.html

Last edited by don hall; 04-24-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:25 AM
mvsvette92
Heel & Toe

Engine will start for about 5 seconds then die. Both KOEO and while cranking, fuel pressure bleeds off instantly. I did install new injectors and a fuel pressure regulator when I did the top end 3 weeks ago.

I'm a little slow......... do you have fuel pressure, or is it bleeding down soon after starting?
Old 04-24-2015, 11:12 AM
mvsvette92
Heel & Toe

Awesome post brotha. I'll do all those checks prior to purchasing anything. Thanks again. Will update as soon as I find anything out.

Before replacing fuel pump and filter, read through the following link to see if it offers a solution:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ible-6spd.html
Old 04-26-2015, 12:14 PM
mvsvette92
Heel & Toe

Checked out fuel pump. Stainer is completely deteriated and replaced it. Gonna check fuel pressure today. Started raining yesterday, SOCAL, figure the odds. Can't find the ground wire on the fuel pump, unless it's the black wire going to the pump it self. No change in the starting sequence. Starts and only stays running by pumping the throttle (gas peddle). Will change the filter today also. Don't think it's an issue, but I have one so I'll install it.

Originally Posted by mvsvette92
Awesome post brotha. I'll do all those checks prior to purchasing anything. Thanks again. Will update as soon as I find anything out.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:50 PM
mvsvette92
Heel & Toe

Update. New: Coil, ICM, fuel pump and filter. Just checked spark again today. No spark from plug wires or coil. Checked pigtail to Opti, receiving 12 volts. Checked ICM plug with test light hooked to positive battery post for ground. 3 out of 4 plugs test light lite up. WTF!!!! Any ideas. Love my vette and will not give up on her!!!

Checked out fuel pump. Stainer is completely deteriated and replaced it. Gonna check fuel pressure today. Started raining yesterday, SOCAL, figure the odds. Can't find the ground wire on the fuel pump, unless it's the black wire going to the pump it self. No change in the starting sequence. Starts and only stays running by pumping the throttle (gas peddle). Will change the filter today also. Don't think it's an issue, but I have one so I'll install it.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:06 PM
mvsvette92
Heel & Toe

When the old timers say "check all wiring and grounds" do it!!!!! . Cleaned all the grounds, checked all the wires to and from the ECM. Opti went bad and replaced it under warranty. Found bad connectors on ICM, MAP, coil, TPS and Opti and replaced them all. Original issue was the ICM. It went bad and took out the coil. If anyone says that NAPA or Autozone can test anything, they're wrong. I also had my Service ARS light on and my tach wasn't working. Fixed the wires on the tach and replace all the brake fluid in the master. No light now. My Vette is running awesome!!! Took it to Smog. Failed on all gases. Looks like I have a couple of bad cats. Also had a H13( BAD O2 sensor). Putting in new sensors as well. Hopefully it will pass now
Old 05-30-2015, 08:18 PM
don hall
Safety Car

I just purchased 92 vette that had blown head gaskets and needed a top end rebuild. New parts: Injectors, Opti, coil, ICM, plug wires, water pump, valve covers, hoses and both coolant sensors. After putting it all back together it fired up and ran strong. Drove it for a few days with no problems. Was driving at 70 on the freeway and it started back firing and died. restarted and died. Made it off the freeway and was able to push it to a side road. Towed it home and it hasn't started since. Pulled codes 16, 41, 42. Replaced the opti and ICM again. Still no start. Fuel pressure good and can hear the pump prime and run. No spark from plugs or coil. Checked fuses all good.

Need some insight vette brothas.
Based on all the parts and labor that you have contributed to this vette after purchase, I surely hope the purchase price reflects your investment.

At least, you have gained an education, that may benefit the forum at a later date.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:09 AM
mvsvette92
Heel & Toe

The Vette was $1700.

Get notified of new replies

To 92 Vette LT1 no start

Quick Reply: 92 Vette LT1 no start