C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I am f!@#king stumped !!...come to my aid

Old 04-23-2015, 02:25 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by inimeg6482
Any other ideas fellas?.......I seen that this has been an issue with ALOT of us can anyone share what they did to remedy this issue
Unplug the battery to reset the codes and see if it will remix your
fuel ratio. Then check for any new codes lean exhaust is just what it is,
too much air into system, Also you may want to clean(carefully)
idle solenoid just below tps sensor and lube it with 3 in 1 oil.
Take it out and spray inside with cleaner. May help
Good luck
Old 04-23-2015, 05:19 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,446 Posts

did u do the o2 sensor?
Old 04-23-2015, 05:42 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

......... Put some new spark plugs in it and try not to drop any during the switcheroo ...............
Old 04-23-2015, 07:10 PM
inimeg6482
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody? .........
For those that stopped it What stopped the stutter
Old 04-23-2015, 07:16 PM
inimeg6482
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xrav22
Unplug the battery to reset the codes and see if it will remix your
fuel ratio. Then check for any new codes lean exhaust is just what it is,
too much air into system, Also you may want to clean(carefully)
idle solenoid just below tps sensor and lube it with 3 in 1 oil.
Take it out and spray inside with cleaner. May help
Good luck
Will do this weekend ......here's a question. .....I have a series of cracks and small gaps
On the side of my air intake filter housing I taped as much of it as I could but I know there is extra air being sucked in .....BUT ....this is before the maf so that cant cause this right?
Old 04-23-2015, 10:31 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Will do this weekend ......here's a question. .....I have a series of cracks and small gaps
On the side of my air intake filter housing I taped as much of it as I could but I know there is extra air being sucked in .....BUT ....this is before the maf so that cant cause this right?
Hi again

Have you double checked the distributor connector it is a 5 pin plug, it should be behind the distributor somewhere. I have come across broken tabs and they can came loose.

Another thing to check is the distributor pick up pole piece, have you tried disconnecting the tach wire? in case the the tach filter is bad?

Did you replace the coil?

Are you sure the timing is correct, do not trust the harmonic ballancer the outer ring can slip. Running retarded ignition will have adverse effects. Check no 1 is at top dead centre when the timing mark aligns with the ballancer mark.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:44 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I would get a good used lower housing because of the cracks, it
can't hurt, but I don't think it will cause a problem before maf.
after all is checked and done recheck your tps sensor for .54
As long as your throttle is closed it should be .54(simply telling
computer this is idle) that is important.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:47 PM
chadk
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dude, Sir, Mr - I think your not getting the hint. Have you looked at the O2 sensors yet. I think people don't truly understand the importance of good working o2 sensor(s). I'm not talking about physically looking at them. I'm saying you can look at the raw data with a scan tool or REPLACE them. They are not expensive and should be replaced as a preventative maint. thing anyhow. Does your engine run ok until it warms up? If so your computer is in open loop and when it goes into closed loop it uses the voltage from the o2 sensor to tune air and fuel ratio.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:29 AM
Vett1990
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any other ideas fellas?.......I seen that this has been an issue with ALOT of us can anyone share what they did to remedy this issue
Ya-all may say I'm crazy but, this is what I found on my C4 that idled like chit. Made the corrections and it starts instantly and idles proper, this isn't just a guess its actual done that stuff as I also chanced my tail for a year or two, trying to get the idle figured out.

First off, I had a broken intake valve spring on the number 8 cylinder not highly common, thank goodness the DART head has two springs.

Second, I found my number 5 and 7 plug wires switched around. 7 was going to 5 and 5 was going to 7. My idle issue is now gone after placing the plug wires on the correct spark plug.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:39 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Anybody? .........
For those that stopped it What stopped the stutter
Unlike other forums you have been given advice by knowledgeable individuals. There is NO magic wand or switch to flip to fix the problem, each area/component needs to be checked for proper operation.

Suggest printing this thread & give it to your mechanic with your vehicle & keys.

One more suggestion: When the engine is hot & at idle spray the intake manifold mating surfaces with WD40. A change in RPM indicates failing intake/plenum gaskets.

Good luck.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:59 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 463 Likes on 367 Posts

This is my thought, the previous own put different injectors in the car. Those injectors are not the same as the originals and the car is not tuned for those injectors and is running lean causing a hesitation at light throttle when you try to accelerate. The code 44 lean exhaust in my opinion points in that direction. To confirm this get a scanner and look at your BLM's and see where they are if they are up in the 150 160 range that is more then likely your problem. To fix this you will either need a custom tune or stock injectors.

FYI this is just a theory since I have no real data to go on other then what was listed in this post.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:22 PM
inimeg6482
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bjankuski
This is my thought, the previous own put different injectors in the car. Those injectors are not the same as the originals and the car is not tuned for those injectors and is running lean causing a hesitation at light throttle when you try to accelerate. The code 44 lean exhaust in my opinion points in that direction. To confirm this get a scanner and look at your BLM's and see where they are if they are up in the 150 160 range that is more then likely your problem. To fix this you will either need a custom tune or stock injectors.

FYI this is just a theory since I have no real data to go on other then what was listed in this post.
THANKS FELLAS I will have my mechanic take further action and of course CHANGE THE DAMM O2 SENSOR. ....lol.....I just couldn't get my head around why steve spencer from bryner Chevrolet didn't feel the need to check all these things even if his scanner couldn't read my ecu (my mechanics snap-on scanner can) he could've checked SOO much other things .....like timing , the plugs, ohm the injectors, ignition and cylinders for non combustion

My mechanic will get this thread
Can anyone tell me what are some things he should see on the scanner of a decent running L98 and if the numbers or percentages or spec don't match up(example BLM's)then I know where to dig in.....I know his scanner will work
Old 04-26-2015, 01:50 PM
DanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Egr was deleted by previous owner. .......and as far as checking air pump...i was expecting bryner Chevrolet to know to check these crucial things but he never mentioned checking any of this stuff.....is there anyone in the Philadelphia area that yall can think of that will TRUELY be willing to check my car out...my mechanic is honest with me and he has admitted he is stumped .....he feels it must be fuel related but after replacing fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, cap and rotor, plug wires, TPS, incoming air temp sensor, the fuel issue should be gone.....
Not to make excuses for your dealer Tech, but these cars are ancient history. Trying to diagnose an OBD I car is very different from a new OBD II vehicle. And with all the new vehicle components/systems/warranties, I wouldn't fault a tech from not knowing how to diagnose our beloved dinosaurs, especially working flate-rate. You need to find a shop that remembers how to repair pre-'96 GM products.

Your injectors are definitely a question mark, as is your program calibration (EGR delete?). FIC could easily give them a cleaning and report your flow rates. Shame the PO couldn't provide you with more complete information.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:39 PM
inimeg6482
Intermediate

Ok...fellas o2 sensor was replaced and I took it for a quick drive and the issue/low throttle stutter remained.....
Old 04-27-2015, 02:46 PM
inimeg6482
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DanZ51
Not to make excuses for your dealer Tech, but these cars are ancient history. Trying to diagnose an OBD I car is very different from a new OBD II vehicle. And with all the new vehicle components/systems/warranties, I wouldn't fault a tech from not knowing how to diagnose our beloved dinosaurs, especially working flate-rate. You need to find a shop that remembers how to repair pre-'96 GM products.

Your injectors are definitely a question mark, as is your program calibration (EGR delete?). FIC could easily give them a cleaning and report your flow rates. Shame the PO couldn't provide you with more complete information.
This particular mechanic I am talking about is Steve Spencer from bryner Chevrolet according to people on here he is a corvette guru and spent years on c4 (he said this to me himself).....he was nice ....i think i just got blown off though....i wish he would have just checked the things mentioned by all of you .....im sure if he FELT like it he could have
Old 04-28-2015, 10:10 PM
jasonkraft
Intermediate

shoot some carb cleaner around everything that has a hose to it mine had a vacuum leak on the short piece of hose on the driver side going to the intake. it would only get rough when it got up to temperature, I guess when the hose got hot enough it expanded and started to draw in air

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I am f!@#king stumped !!...come to my aid