C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 Corvette Won't Crank

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 04:01 PM
PowersportsMkt
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 Corvette Won't Crank

1985 Manual Trans car. The starter will not crank in the start position. The car starts right up and runs if you jump the soleniod with the key in the on position. I have tried several things reading old posts here. Fuses are all good. Fusible links are all good. I tried jumping the Starter Interupt relay and no go. There is no power to the relay from the large green/white wires in the crank position.
I read that the clutch switch should have 12V when the key is in the crank position. It does not have 12V in the crank position. Also read here that this would be a result of a misadjusted rod from the key to the switch lower on the column. Does this sound accurate? Any help on how to adjust the rod or what I am overlooking? Thanks,
Old 04-23-2015, 04:42 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

not sure about a manual but 85 had tds not vats, try locking and unlocking the passenger door.....are you checking for codes?....If it's the tds, you should be seeing something on the dic when trying to start...otherwise you should have a code.....
Old 04-23-2015, 06:08 PM
PowersportsMkt
5th Gear

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes I have tried locking and unlocking the passenger door. The security system seems to be working OK. It will arm and dissarm. The security light blinks when you open a door and goes out when you close the door.

I should have mentioned this car has been in storage for 10 years and we are just trying to get it back in service.

I was going to try to get to the security module and unplug it but I am having trouble getting to it. I belive it is in the passenger side dash area between the ECU and the passenger compartment. dropping the ECU just allows you to look at the big plastic enclosure that the ECU rides in.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:03 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

it it's the tds, you'll get a light on your dic when you engage the starter....
if it's been stored that long, i'l look to the fuel pump or fp regulator..
should have 36 or more psi on the rail with key on and cranking.....also, pull the vac line off the regulator to smell for gas..also check the fp relay...a gm manual would really help too......just could be a lot of things....you could also ohm the injectors....good luck....there are quite a few knowledgeable guys on this forum who have 85's.....i'm sure you'll get some good help...
Old 04-23-2015, 08:12 PM
PowersportsMkt
5th Gear

Thanks again. What light would I see on the DIC when engaging the starter if it is the TDS? Security?
The car runs nice if I jump the starter solenoid. I just need to get it to crank with the key
Old 04-23-2015, 08:32 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

security light....there are some threads on how to bypass the tds....you'll have to do some searches unless somebody chips in....I know it's a pain to get at that ecm, you have to be a midget, and be able to twist and turn...not the best place....
Old 04-23-2015, 08:44 PM
PowersportsMkt
5th Gear

I don't get the security light when I try to start the car. Car won't crank, but starts right up if I jump the solenoid.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:45 AM
playsdixie
Drifting

probably not the security system...do you have a gm manual?...there's a trouble shooting tree it it.....wondering why the experts haven't chipped in....I not the best guy for advice, built my own engine, that's it....with a lot of help from these guys....if I get a chance today, i'll look through the 85 manual......
Old 04-24-2015, 11:52 AM
PowersportsMkt
5th Gear

Thanks to all that helped. I did go through the GM Manual and found the colors to the wires going to the clutch switch. I had been looking at the cruise switch on the clutch not the start switch. It seemed odd because the wires are very small on the cruise switch, now it makes sense. Large yellow wire goes to clutch start switch. jumped and it she starts right up. Now I know the failed component. Now I have to figure out how to get to it. Its up very high on the pedal almost imposible to see. Thanks again everyone.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:20 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

congrats.......we all like to know if some problem gets solved and how....puts the finishing touch to the thread....

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 Corvette Won't Crank

Quick Reply: 1985 Corvette Won't Crank