C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

trans oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 10:07 PM
Buck Stephen
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans oil cooler

i have installed a new transmission in my 89 coupe , i want to add an a cooler to the existing system however im not sure where i can mount one , any ideas?
Old 04-23-2015, 10:46 PM
Shaun R
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In between the A/C and radiator would be the best place. Can also mount in between the frame rails just behind the fans if you do not already have a power steering cooler there.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:33 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I have my Hayden in front of the a/c condenser towards the bottom. I have it at a slight angle so there is a space between the cooler and condenser. I have solid lines to the cooler using no rubber hoses.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:10 PM
wydopnthrtl
Drifting

Received 290 Likes on 187 Posts

Pipe routing:

Stock configuration (on my 4L60E)
The tranny has two pipes that pass between it and the radiator.
The one that's on bottom (bott connector on tranny) pushes hot fluid to the *top* of the radiator.
From there it falls through the radiator and comes out the lower pipe. It then returns to the tranny (top fitting on tranny).
This does two things. It helps to warm the tranny fluid quicker (all fluids have ideal operating temps) and it helps to keep the tranny fluid from getting too hot. (under 230-ish is good)

I too like to run aux coolers and so here is what I do for a non-towing car like a vette or other muscle car.
Find a suitable spot and cut the lower (return to tranny) pipe.
Using a double flare tool I make a new pipe that's custom routed from the bott of the rad to the new cooler. From the new cooler plumb either metal or rubber hose back to that cut you made.
Typically I try to have as little rubber hose as is possible. Generally only use it for the weird bends or coupling metal pipes when needed.

Routed this way, your tranny fluid gets warmed up properly in cold temps & it then gets a double shot of cooling before returning to the tranny. If its hotter than the engine coolant that's cooling event #1 then the aux cooler is event #2.

IMO.. a vette that doesn't tow would be just fine with a decent sized OEM "U" shaped aluminum cooler. One of the HD stacked plate designs might over cool for a non-towing application. (I've personally done this and the shifts in winter time were too harsh (I had increased shift pressures more than OEM))
Always remember... all fluids have an optimum operating temp (viscosity) and the mechanical parts are designed for this.

Ideally.. we'd all have tranny fluid temp 175F 100% of the time no matter the situation. But that's not possible so..... we compromise by warming the fluid up to temp, then try to keep it there.

Cooler placement:
I do this: Place in front of the AC condenser and at least 1" spacing between them. (many people sandwich the two together) Its not good to place them real close because it effectively reduces the surface area that heat can be transferred from both parts.

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 04-24-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:09 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by enventr
I have my Hayden in front of the a/c condenser towards the bottom. I have it at a slight angle so there is a space between the cooler and condenser. I have solid lines to the cooler using no rubber hoses.
except I used the trans fluid rated hose instead of hard line. Splice into the outlet side of the cooler in the rad. That way the fluid already has some "pre-cooling" before it gets to your additional cooler.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:04 PM
Buck Stephen
Cruising

Originally Posted by 92ragtop
except I used the trans fluid rated hose instead of hard line. Splice into the outlet side of the cooler in the rad. That way the fluid already has some "pre-cooling" before it gets to your additional cooler.
can you send a pic of where your aux cooler is mounted ,
Old 04-25-2015, 06:05 PM
Buck Stephen
Cruising

Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl
Pipe routing:

Stock configuration (on my 4L60E)
The tranny has two pipes that pass between it and the radiator.
The one that's on bottom (bott connector on tranny) pushes hot fluid to the *top* of the radiator.
From there it falls through the radiator and comes out the lower pipe. It then returns to the tranny (top fitting on tranny).
This does two things. It helps to warm the tranny fluid quicker (all fluids have ideal operating temps) and it helps to keep the tranny fluid from getting too hot. (under 230-ish is good)

I too like to run aux coolers and so here is what I do for a non-towing car like a vette or other muscle car.
Find a suitable spot and cut the lower (return to tranny) pipe.
Using a double flare tool I make a new pipe that's custom routed from the bott of the rad to the new cooler. From the new cooler plumb either metal or rubber hose back to that cut you made.
Typically I try to have as little rubber hose as is possible. Generally only use it for the weird bends or coupling metal pipes when needed.

Routed this way, your tranny fluid gets warmed up properly in cold temps & it then gets a double shot of cooling before returning to the tranny. If its hotter than the engine coolant that's cooling event #1 then the aux cooler is event #2.

IMO.. a vette that doesn't tow would be just fine with a decent sized OEM "U" shaped aluminum cooler. One of the HD stacked plate designs might over cool for a non-towing application. (I've personally done this and the shifts in winter time were too harsh (I had increased shift pressures more than OEM))
Always remember... all fluids have an optimum operating temp (viscosity) and the mechanical parts are designed for this.

Ideally.. we'd all have tranny fluid temp 175F 100% of the time no matter the situation. But that's not possible so..... we compromise by warming the fluid up to temp, then try to keep it there.

Cooler placement:
I do this: Place in front of the AC condenser and at least 1" spacing between them. (many people sandwich the two together) Its not good to place them real close because it effectively reduces the surface area that heat can be transferred from both parts.
you have your outlet from trans going to top of rad? should it not go to the bottom of rad as it is done from the factory?
Old 04-25-2015, 06:09 PM
Buck Stephen
Cruising

Originally Posted by 92ragtop
I have also installked a magnetic filter on the outlet from the trans , should i leave it where i have it or put it on the return line after the aux cooler ?
Old 04-25-2015, 09:56 PM
wydopnthrtl
Drifting

Received 290 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Buck Stephen
you have your outlet from trans going to top of rad? should it not go to the bottom of rad as it is done from the factory?

The line coming out of the tranny w/hot fluid goes to the top of the radiator. "Cooled" fluid comes out the bottom.

btw, this is how you can change your own tranny fluid. Remove the top line, put a hose on it, and start the engine. When about 3-4 quarts come out turn engine off. Re-fill through dipstick tube and repeat until you have run approx the systems capacity into a bucket. (up around 80% of capacity you'll see it running cherry red too )

It is a closed system though.. so once the air is purged it won't have too much of a detriment if it flowed backwards (upward)
The idea is two fold. 1. Heat goes up 2. Air bubbles go up. This is the same reason the engines cooling hoses are plumbed this way.

Here is what I've added to my daily driver. (V8 S10)

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 04-25-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:40 AM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Buck Stephen
can you send a pic of where your aux cooler is mounted ,
Sorry, I don't happen to have a pic of my cooler, but it's right behind the air inlet area in front of the AC condenser, and held in place with some simple metal brackets.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:41 PM
ghr4news
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Totally confused:
So I too am going to install an aux cooler to my 86 coupe and wydopnthrtl makes a pretty good argument on aux cooler and line flow placement. I had been waiting for another forum member to reply to questions I posed; both via private message and email I sent him but have yet to receive a reply, even though I know he has been on the forum as early as yesterday. (2/27/16) Don't you guys hate it when other members don't reply to your posts... I know there are many hobbyist that post here, but for some of us who want to get on with it and get our "sweet rides" back on the road again, we come to the forum for guidance and most often emergency help, anyway!
Reason I'm confused is that said poster had a long barrage of information to a similar question from a posting several years old. In it he said and this is a direct quote:

"As for installation, we did a bit of research on this, too. We found that the aux coolers are best installed in-line with the stock radiator cooler, and the aux cooler should be installed before the fluid goes into the radiator cooler. This does 2 things: First, the aux cooler knocks quite a bit of heat out of the tranny fluid, and thereby prevents the radiator from having to absorb this heat. This runs radiator/engine temps cooler on hot days, since the tranny fluid entering the radiator has already been cooled."

To me, the above statement is opposite and contradicts what wydopnthrtl has posted and his diagram. Anyone have any thoughts on this...Has anyone run into problems after installing the aux cooler? I'm more concerned with problems in the routing of the cooler lines as to whether they connect prior to or after the tranny cooler in the radiator.
Looking forward to all your replies.

Get notified of new replies

To trans oil cooler

Quick Reply: trans oil cooler