C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1984 Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 01:40 PM
Ahnenerbe
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 1984 Battery Drain

I do not drive this car yet as the resto is still on going. I have been noticing that I will charge the battery to full, start the car to just to hear it purr then it may be off for a week or more. When I come back I have a dead battery. I have done the parasitic draw test with a volt meter (if I did it right) and I didn't see any significant drops to show me what it may be. Any suggestions, or should I ask, any problem areas on these cars. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:23 PM
Robert Perkins
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahnenerbe
I do not drive this car yet as the resto is still on going. I have been noticing that I will charge the battery to full, start the car to just to hear it purr then it may be off for a week or more. When I come back I have a dead battery. I have done the parasitic draw test with a volt meter (if I did it right) and I didn't see any significant drops to show me what it may be. Any suggestions, or should I ask, any problem areas on these cars. Thanks for the help.
You need to check an amp draw with everything off. When you see a draw start removing the fuses until it drops that will be your problem area. Just a little heads up and an easy test, remove the tree fuses for the digital dash and see if that solves your problem. The electrolytic capacitors in the power supply have a tendency to leak and that will cause your problem.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:31 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Might help: Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger (amazon?)
Old 04-24-2015, 02:31 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

if it's not your battery, i'd have it thoroughly checked.....the procedure would be to put a amp guage between the pos post and pos cable, and pull fuses until the amps drop...don't confuse the cts circuit, it stays on for awhile and putting the meter in series with the battery engages it....it has memory for seat/clock/radio//interior lights...wait untill they go out...disconnect hood lights....if you have no amp draw as you state, i'd look to your battery.....it can take awhile to find some.....make sure all your grounds are good ......assuming you have a gm manual...you'll need one....
also could try looking at car in the dark, make sure nothing is on....spare tire light/console etc......good luck....
Old 04-24-2015, 03:09 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

I still haven't found my draw but what I did to get by was to install a battery quick disconnect I bought from amazon. Turn the **** a 1/4 turn and the battery is disconnected then turn it back 1/4 turn and the cars powered back up. If you have a car that isn't driven much its real handy even if you don't have a draw problem too.

But the main thing is it will keep from ruining the battery till you find the culprit. Also it makes testing for current drain problems easy since I can just turn the **** to disconnect the battery when I want to test for the current drain by testing across the disconnect itself.

Was $9 or something like that. Bought several of them since I have a bunch of vehicles I don't drive often.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:53 PM
Ahnenerbe
Racer

The battery is new, and was tested. I am leaning towards getting a quick disconnect.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:00 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by crowz
I install a battery quick disconnect.
dang. I was looking for those and couldn't find them at any chain store.

I had such a draw and it was the little light for the mirror on the right sunvisor and barely visible thru the top and only in the dark.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:23 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

This is the one I went with for the vette and other side post cars I have.

Amazon.com: Side Post Battery Master Disconnect Switch: Automotive Amazon.com: Side Post Battery Master Disconnect Switch: Automotive

Its $11.45 with free shipping since I have prime.

The top post ones I bought were under $9.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:22 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Or you can do it right.
Moroso - $20

Old 04-27-2015, 03:12 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

I looked at those and others and the reason I went with the one I did was because it can be removed at any time with no permanent changes being done to the car. Plus it doesn't take up any room
Old 04-28-2015, 10:00 PM
jasonkraft
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does your horn work? mine was doing the same thing and found the horn was stuck and the relay was red hot. glad I found it before the car caught fire
Old 04-29-2015, 12:29 AM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonkraft
does your horn work? mine was doing the same thing and found the horn was stuck and the relay was red hot. glad I found it before the car caught fire
My car when I bought it would die every time I worked on it for a long period of time, I bought a duralast gold(still had gold top)
and problem gone after weeks of non use or hours of working on.
What I noticed after 2 yrs my battery started going dead after 2 weeks
of non use and the aaa guy jumped it. The water needs to be topped
off on all these batterys that you can take the cap off. Use distilled water only and your battery will last several more years. The water needs to be level with the bottom of the plastic cylinder. AAA guy said I need a new battery , since I topped it off it last 2 weeks between start ups, I usually drive it more , just a thought. Good luck.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:13 PM
Ahnenerbe
Racer

Horn is disconnected. When i first bought car battery died quick, forum said to check relay and it was hot. I pulled it out and never put it back in.

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 Battery Drain

Quick Reply: 1984 Battery Drain